Sci-Fi Graphics Compilation for Legends

Please post here for questions and discussion about scenario, art and sound modding and the game editor for Distant Worlds.

Moderators: elliotg, Icemania

solops

Sci-Fi Graphics Compilation for Legends

Post by solops »

COMBINATION OF BAB5, TREK, STAR WARS, BATTLESTAR GALACTICA AND OTHERS
Like many of you I have picked over the mods out there for my favorite shipsets to get the look I wanted. I'd like to offer the package up here, but before I do I'd like to know if it is OK with the original authors. It has ship, race, troop and weapons images from Igard, Kalthaniel, tjhkkr, lordxorn, Simulation01, msnevil and Woodman (or did at one time. Stuff has come and gone over the years). I hope I did not miss anyone. What about it, guys? OK if I post my complilation? (assuming I can figure out how to do that...)

Time passes...Here is the Sci-Fi Graphics Comp. Sorry it has to be in two parts, but my satellite connection will not stay connected long enough to upload it as a single file. After downloading the two zip files, just unzip them into Distant Worlds\Customization folder. You'll wind up with two folders, one from each zip file. Combine them into a single folder (copy one onto the other) and you are done. Make that combined filename your new theme when starting the game and you are done. Nothing further needs to be done for the troop, race and ship icons to function. NEW: There is a ship supplement that replaces most of three ship files, making them more complete. Download and unzip into the Shipimages file of the Sci-FiComp file, replacing the existing files. In my case this is c:\GamesXP\Distant Worlds\Customization\Sci-FiComp\Shipimages. It will probably be different for you. Many of the image files were created before carriers were introduced and have no dedicated carrier image, so the game uses whatever default is in place. I may get around to addressing that when the original creators come up with carriers. The shipsets are assigned to the existing stock DW races pretty much arbitrarily. If you want to play a race but use a different shipset, just go into the shipset file and edit the shipset filenames to suit.

In addition to troop, race and ship icons I have included a sound (effects) and weapons files. For these sound and weapons files to work, I think you have to copy the files into the appropriate main DW folders, overwriting the “stock” versions. If you do this, be sure to back up the originals first. The sound file is a replacement for the "alarm" sound.

The compilation makes no change to gameplay, only graphics. The package contains no original work of mine. It does have ship, race, troop and weapons images from Igard, Kalthaniel, tjhkkr, lordxorn, Simulation01, msnevil, Haree78 and Woodman (or did at one time. Stuff has come and gone over the years). I hope I did not miss anyone. If I did, please let me know and I will add your name to the source list.

OK, Here is is, weighing in at about 89 megs. Each file has about half of the shipsets. The supplement improves/completes 3 that were included in the two main downloads:

http://www.gamefront.com/files/21360488/Sci_FiComp1_zip

http://www.gamefront.com/files/21360688/Sci_FiComp2_zip

http://www.gamefront.com/files/21366210 ... ement1_zip

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.-Edmund Burke
Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women; if it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it.-Judge Learned Hand
Igard

RE: Sci-Fi Graphics Compilation for Legends

Post by Igard »

A compilation mod sounds good! You have my permission, not that you needed it. Just a mention of the mods, like you have done, is fine.

If you missed anyone out, I'm sure they'll be fine with it.

Go for it!
WoodMan

Post by WoodMan »

Yes go for it. Not sure what stuff of mine you're using that people won't already have, because they are in Legends. But go ahead! (and its property of Matrix now too, so no need to ask me for permission if you want to use them. As long as its for DW...).
"My body may be confined to this chair, but my mind is free to explore the universe" - Stephen Hawking
tjhkkr

Post by tjhkkr »

I do not have much stuff, but anything of mine is fair game. You have my total blessing.
Remember that the evil which is now in the world will become yet more powerful, and that it is not evil which conquers evil, but only love -- Olga Romanov.
Caesar_Augustus

Post by Caesar_Augustus »

I concur. You have my blessing as well, my dear sir!
solops

Post by solops »

OK, I think I have figured out how to make this available for on Gamefront. I am going to wait a bit more for comments and then I will post it.
All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.-Edmund Burke
Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women; if it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it.-Judge Learned Hand
Haree78

Post by Haree78 »

People can use any of my work how they please and release it. It is nice to be given credit for any of the work I did.
Shark7

Post by Shark7 »

The disclaimer with my shipset tells it all, you can redistribute freely so long as the mod is for Distant Worlds (or one of its expansions). If you plan to use it for some other game, I ask that you send me a PM here and let me say yes or no on an individual basis.
Distant Worlds Fan

'When in doubt...attack!'
w1p

Post by w1p »

upload it already!! I love new graphics / ship sets.

Although by far the best mod ever was shark7's name mod. Not having destroyer's called "Nebulae Class 044" is real immersion
solops

Post by solops »

File links posted. Hazy instructions in first post of this thread.
Igard

Post by Igard »

Looks good, solops. Nice one, buddy. [:)]
solops

Post by solops »

One or two of the shipsets are cobbled together and a bit "diverse". I plan on revisiting them and will post more coherent versions soon.

Done and posted. See first post.
solops

Post by solops »

Ship Supplement Notes: Some of the Sci-Fi shipsets out there were not 100% complete, so I mixed and matched to get complete sets. For instance, I combined what I liked best from Centauri and Minbari to come up with a complete set that wound up being assigned to the Ketarov. That is what the Ship Supplement is, a re-work of two of the Sci-Fi shipsets included in the main downloads that were really incomplete and one shipset that still used the original DW ships. For the most part it involved combining incomplete or repetitive shipsets from Babylon5 and Battlestar Galactica. BTW, there is nothing wrong with the original DW ships! I just wanted to see the stuff from my TV set in the game.
Simulation01

Post by Simulation01 »

Solops..... I uploaded the stuff that I had collected and manipulated for people to do exactly what you are doing. Getting complete shipset's for all the B5 races was pretty much impossible so mixing them is exactly what I've done with my own personal B5 mod. I have a B5 intro music file if your interested. You know "there is a hole in your mind....get the hell out of our galaxy...." that stuff.

I don't know if you've seen it or not but I had a thread of some Stargate ships as well, which you are welcome to.
"Tho' much is taken, much abides; and though we are not now that strength which in old days moved Earth and Heaven; that which we are, we are; One equal temper of heroic hearts, made weak by time and fate, but strong in will." -Tennyson

Return to “Design and Modding”