Matrix Games Forums

More Games are Coming to Steam! Deal of the Week: Combat Command Return to the Moon on October 31st! Commander: The Great War iPad Wallpapers Generals of the Great WarDeal of the Week Panzer CorpsNew Strategy Titles Join the FamilyTablet Version of Qvadriga gets new patchNew Command Ops: Battles from the Bulge UpdateCommand gets a huge update!
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

The five railheads

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> The War Room >> The five railheads Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
The five railheads - 2/14/2012 5:20:49 AM   
HITMAN202

I've been plain and simple with their direction. AGN and the northern AGC are obvious.. since I surround Brest Litovsk I start that unit slightly north, but AGS's two RR are a dilemma. Normally I've started one north of Rovno and the Rumanian RR one aimed at Kirovograd, but I see merits of starting one at Chernovsky. Also is it reasonable to double them up on the rail to Moscow ????

WITE is a good addiction with no cure.
Post #: 1
RE: The five railheads - 2/14/2012 8:01:19 AM   
2ndACR

You would be better served by using the Infantry Corp and the Inf Div attached to thee Panzer Corp to do a deliberate attack on Brest and clear that dude on turn 1. It speeds things up and allows you to head straight thru Brest. Plus it clears the way for your armor with no ZOC. My opinion of course.

AGS, I blast all Russian units from the border to past Lvov, that is the route my AGS rail repair goes.

11th Army repair heads up thru the mountains towards C-town. Once I link AGS and 11th Army, AGS heads to Kiev and 11th army heads back towards D-town and Odessa along the long straight rail line.

(in reply to HITMAN202)
Post #: 2
RE: The five railheads - 2/14/2012 10:16:04 AM   
AFV

You can't double up. They wont repair more than 4 hexes combined.

(in reply to 2ndACR)
Post #: 3
RE: The five railheads - 2/14/2012 11:41:04 AM   
HITMAN202

Agree with the benefits of blowing the Ruskies out of Brest.. But the negatives are,, 1) your railhead is slowed by its trek thru the swamp and it's difficult to convert hexes ahead of it if the Reds want to play hardball 2) by forming a pocket with 1 Pz division from AGC you can isolate 8-10 units and kill another 25-35,000 dudes and 3) it can be quicker to Bryansk via the rail north of Brest, not thru it, if the russians fight in the marsh to slow the FBD down.

WITE is a good addiction with no cure.

(in reply to HITMAN202)
Post #: 4
RE: The five railheads - 2/14/2012 1:23:07 PM   
2ndACR

I don't go thru the swamp with rail, I angle up to the straight line south of Minsk and the other travel to Minsk from the north side.

I use Army HQ's with 4 construction bn's each at rail junctions to start repairing down the spur lines.

I prefer to have my panzer div way up front clearing the route for my infantry, not way back in the rear.

(in reply to HITMAN202)
Post #: 5
RE: The five railheads - 2/14/2012 4:21:18 PM   
Seminole

quote:

I use Army HQ's with 4 construction bn's each at rail junctions to start repairing down the spur lines.

That is important. Do not neglect your interconnects!
You wouldn't want partisans, or paras, or something else ruining your day...

(in reply to 2ndACR)
Post #: 6
RE: The five railheads - 2/14/2012 7:21:10 PM   
timmyab

It depends on your overall strategy to some degree.
This is what I'm doing in my current game where most of pz gr 2 has gone South so that supply towards Mogolev or Gomel is not needed.

FBD 4 Radviliskis Daugavpils, Pskov, Leningrad.
FBD 3 Kaunas, Vilnius, Daugavpils, Vitebsk, Smolensk, Vyasma.
FBD 2 Brest, Minsk, Smolensk, Bryansk, Orel.
FBD 1 Lvov, Tarnopol, Proskurov, Vinnitsa, Cherkassy, Poltava, Kharkov.
FBD 5 Kishinev, Odessa, Nikoleav, Zaporozhye, Stalino.

Note that doing it this way is not only efficient, but also the Northern 3 rail lines are linked at Daugavpils and Smolensk giving an early North-South connection.

(in reply to HITMAN202)
Post #: 7
RE: The five railheads - 2/15/2012 2:59:05 PM   
Savanniperkele

Not quite sure. Pelton recently reported on the forums that he could still double up 7 hexes repaired (with screenshot). I am playing against him and he doubled up everywhere quite effectively :)

quote:

ORIGINAL: AFV

You can't double up. They wont repair more than 4 hexes combined.

(in reply to AFV)
Post #: 8
RE: The five railheads - 2/18/2012 3:45:27 PM   
AFV

I tried it under 1.05- it would not let me do more than 4 hexes. Maybe the new patch changed it? I will have to start a new game as Axis and test real quick.

EDIT: I verified, under 1.05.45 I was not able to repair more than four hexes (not in Baltic zone this was by Brest Litovsk), in a row, using two FBD. I think in prior versions it was allowed, then a patch nixed the capability. Did not test on the latest version but I highly doubt they brought the ability back. Its very easy to test yourself and see- just load up a fresh game, make a few attacks and start repairing, play a couple turns.

< Message edited by AFV -- 2/18/2012 4:16:07 PM >

(in reply to Savanniperkele)
Post #: 9
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> The War Room >> The five railheads Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI