Loss of Port Moresby

This new stand alone release based on the legendary War in the Pacific from 2 by 3 Games adds significant improvements and changes to enhance game play, improve realism, and increase historical accuracy. With dozens of new features, new art, and engine improvements, War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition brings you the most realistic and immersive WWII Pacific Theater wargame ever!

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

NAVMAN

Loss of Port Moresby

Post by NAVMAN »

Hi All,
Playing scen 7 as Allies vs Jap. It's mid-Feb '42 and I'm about to lose PM to Japs.
Is this a game breaker for Allies or something that can be overcome.
Don't want to continue if the game is effectively over.

Thx.
Terminus

RE: Loss of Port Moresby

Post by Terminus »

That's not even with shouting distance of being a "game breaker".

The Jap player gains nothing but a hard-to-supply base on a malarial hellhole of an island. This early in the game, he won't have a lot of power projection options that aren't tied up elsewhere. Stick it out.
We are all dreams of the Giant Space Butterfly.
Numdydar

Post by Numdydar »

Seriously, you think the game is over as the Allies if you lose PM? I assume against the AI correct? As the Allies you can let the Japs overrun almost anything and still recover really easy. Especially against the AI. You could even lose most of OZ and STILL come back and crush the Japs.

If it's mid '43 and have not taken PM back, THEN you maight have an issue. But is is waaaayy to early to give up as the Allies (unless you have lost a bunch of CV's then I would reconsider).
wdolson

Post by wdolson »

I had to look up which scenario was scen 7.  In a long campaign, there are few early losses that would be a game breaker.

Having Port Morseby in Japanese hands gives your planes based in northern Australia something to do.  If you're playing the AI, you can turn the waterway in between NG and Aus into a shooting gallery basing a lot of bombers there set to naval attack and pick off supply ships that try to keep the base in supply.  With B-17s based in Aus, you can keep PM closed down until you take it back.

PM is a difficult base for the Japanese to hold.

You may be a little behind historical positions for a little while, but it's far from a game breaker.

Bill
WitP AE - Test team lead, programmer
vettim89

Post by vettim89 »

PM is an anathema for both sides. As Japan it is a tough base to not go after because the Allies can threated the rest of PNG and Bismarks from there. Once you take it you will quickly find it is on the "wrong side of the hill" and is a bear to keep supplied. As mentioned earlier, it becomes target practice for Allied bombers.

As Allies, you can and do often lose it early in the war (esp in PBEM). Once you do move to the offensive, you cannot ignore it. If you bypass it, you have a potential large AB on your flank or rear. If Japan heavily reinforces it, it is tough to reconquer. If you are able to hold it, then you are the one trying to resupply it under a heavy enemy air presence

The base is just a pain in the butt no matter which side you are playing.
"We have met the enemy and they are ours" - Commodore O.H. Perry
n01487477

Post by n01487477 »

ORIGINAL: NAVMAN

Hi All,
Playing scen 7 as Allies vs Jap. It's mid-Feb '42 and I'm about to lose PM to Japs.

Thx.
I'll try not to allow my wry smile to overcome what face value this Q seems has.
[8|]

A serious Terminesque type answer in what could be comedic heaven. NO.

PS. Game breaker [:-]
NAVMAN

Post by NAVMAN »

Gentlemen,
Thx to you who answered my question without the sarcasm and superior attitudes.
I asked the question in "good faith". This is the first camp I have attempted to see
thru. My playing time is limited. Replies using words like "seriously", etc. are
not called for, in my view.
Thx to those who offered strategic views about this and d/n consider it a potential
comedy subject.
I'm glad my squadron CO d/n reply to questions in the same tenor as some I've
just seen.
n01487477

Post by n01487477 »

Maybe if you posed a questions without the histrionics you'd get a reply in the vein you want.

Replied to in the manner the question was posed and dispatched accordingly.
"Effectively over" and "game breaker" certainly make the tenor of your question unwarranted.
NAVMAN

Post by NAVMAN »

noi487477,
Well, I suppose I could have put the "offending" words/phrases within quotatations so
you would not read into it more than was there. "effectively over" seems to be a reasonable usage of words to describe a situation as to whether or not it was still
viable to play long term.
I don't know what you consider to be "histrionics", but for my part, I don't use them
when I talk about a game. Nor have I used them when flying and losing an engine.
Your use of thew word "dispatched" is interesting, as though my question was so
far beneath you that it was not worthy of you.

To the rest who replied in an informative manner, thx again.

n01487477

Post by n01487477 »

I don't wish to escalate this any further ...

Have an enjoyable day.
NAVMAN

Post by NAVMAN »

n01487477:
Agreed. Have a nice day as well.

Edit for spelling.
Roger Neilson II

Post by Roger Neilson II »

Loss of Port Moresby can be a PITA for the Allies. In one of my PBEMs it proved that way for a while. I held Horn island and all the Oz bases and was subject to very annoying air raids and fast Cruiser bombardments from there and Terapo.

It was just a case of sitting and taking the kicks for a while. It became very predictable and although for a while it proved pretty impossible to sail any supplies or other forces through to northern Oz that way I am now able to do so quite happily as my own covering fighters are in number and also my opponent has had to look elsewhere at my movements.

Its almost to be expected that if a Jap opponent wants to take PM they can - as already been mentioned its a pain for both sides - almost one of those 'must visit' spots on a holiday that you actually would prefer not to go near.

Roger
castor troy

Post by castor troy »

Hi All,

Thx.

a game breaker would be if you would lose the whole East Coast

edit: oops, don't know what scen 7 is, so forget about my comment
sandman455

Post by sandman455 »

Gentlemen,
Thx to you who answered my question without the sarcasm and superior attitudes.
I asked the question in "good faith". This is the first camp I have attempted to see
thru. My playing time is limited. Replies using words like "seriously", etc. are
not called for, in my view.
Thx to those who offered strategic views about this and d/n consider it a potential
comedy subject.
I'm glad my squadron CO d/n reply to questions in the same tenor as some I've
just seen.

S E R I O U S L Y ? ?

The CO of Air Anti-Submarine Squadron 32 once threw a phone at me. He missed and hit the Maintenance Officer. Nobody like him or the MO so it was cool. That skipper is still one of my favorites though. He had character and was a ASW god. He always ranked me #1 or #2 so he must of like me too.

The CO of Strike Fighter Weapon School Atlantic hated the FA18 RAG CO so much that he would over schedule the simulators for the FA18 and then send over stash ensigns (freshly commissioned awaiting orders to the training command) to play in them. They and their staff would have shouting matches that would nearly break into fights. He once despised one commander who was transitioning from A7's to FA18's so much that, he sent over a S-3 NFO to run his ACM dome event (He was bad, I shot him down 6 times out of 19). The weapon school CO literally laughed so hard that he started spitting up, when I told him that I was pretty sure that he never figured out that I was a NFO from an entirely different aircraft.

So what community has these CO's that reply to questions without yelling and insults? Air Force I bet.
Gary S (USN 1320, 1985-1993)
AOCS 1985, VT10 1985-86, VT86 1986, VS41 1986-87
VS32 1987-90 (NSO/NWTO, deployed w/CV-66, CVN-71)
VS27 1990-91 (NATOPS/Safety)
SFWSLANT 1991-93 (AGM-84 All platforms, S-3 A/B systems)
Canoerebel

Post by Canoerebel »

Navman, in my combined five WitP and AE PBEM as the Allied player I've managed to lose the Aluetians, Midway, Pago Pago, Suva, Tahiti, Noumea, Luganville, Port Moresby, Townsville, Rockhampton, Brisbane, Perth, Darwin, Calcutta, Trincomalee, Colombo, and Madras (not all in one game, mind you) and haven't lost yet.  :)  Playing the Allied side is quite forgiving.  Losing PM is routine in a PBEM - against most experienced IJ players there is no way for the Allies to defend it.
"Rats set fire to Mr. Cooper’s store in Fort Valley. No damage done." Columbus (Ga) Enquirer-Sun, October 2, 1880.
crsutton

Post by crsutton »

Yep, you can pretty much assume that it is always going to be lost. Not a problem at all. Lose[;)] all six carriers in June of 42-then you got a problem...
I am the Holy Roman Emperor and am above grammar.

Sigismund of Luxemburg
Roger Neilson II

Post by Roger Neilson II »

One man's problem is another man's challenge.......

Lol

Roger
JocMeister

Post by JocMeister »

Hehe,

GreyJoy lost China, most of Inda and half of OZ (I might have forgotten something more he lost) and still came back and invaded the HI. Very entertaining AAR. I recommend you read it!
tm.asp?m=2761796

I don´t think anything is a gamebreaker as the allied against the AI.
bradfordkay

Post by bradfordkay »

"I don´t think anything is a gamebreaker as the allied against the AI."

Well... maybe losing the United States... but I can't picture that ever happening!
fair winds,
Brad
vettim89

Post by vettim89 »

As a confirmed AFB, I would agree with those that say you can those about anything short of the WCUSA and go on to win. In my 2x2 with Nomad as my partner we lost PM, all of the New Hebrides, New Caledonia, Fiji, the Tonga Islands, and all of Samoa by May 1942. I just yawned. In a way, it made my life easier as I had less to worry about protecting. The AE map is big enough that you can work around almost any Japanese conquests.
"We have met the enemy and they are ours" - Commodore O.H. Perry

Return to “War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition”