Matrix Games Forums

War in the West gets its first update!Flashpoint Campaigns: Red Storm version 2.08 is now available!Command gets huge update!Order of Battle: Pacific Featured on Weekly Streaming SessionA new fight for Battle Academy!Buzz Aldrin's Space Program Manager is out for Mac!The definitive wargame of the Western Front is out now! War in the West gets teaser trailer and Twitch Stream!New Preview AAR for War in the West!War in the West Manual preview
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Losheim Gap - Winning Tips?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Discontinued Games] >> Command Ops Series >> Losheim Gap - Winning Tips? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Losheim Gap - Winning Tips? - 2/13/2012 4:18:16 PM   
gryfonjames

Does anyone have some tips for winning the Losheim Gap scenario.

I have won the tutorial scenario a couple of times, but I was decisively defeated twice as the axis in this scenario. Getting to the bridges (which explode in your face) with enough troops to seize them, while also having enough troops for rear-area security seems unlikely.

It also seems like the Germans are attacking into superior (and armored forces) with not enough firepower.

Anyone actually gotten to St. Vith?
Post #: 1
RE: Losheim Gap - Winning Tips? - 2/13/2012 5:07:39 PM   
gryfonjames

In particular, how do you get troops to the bridges quickly? Using the Move command (without allowing attacks) seemed to cause enormous casualties when they ran into enemy troops, while using Attack orders resulted in progress too slow.

(in reply to gryfonjames)
Post #: 2
RE: Losheim Gap - Winning Tips? - 2/13/2012 5:37:02 PM   
Haudrauf1962

I am having the same problem. I am using attack orders just to see that a whole infantry battalion has problems wiping out a platoon of three armored cars. I have seen cases where three armored cars in a village where encircled by forces 25 times stronger, were fired upon non-stop and hold out for 48 hours??!! There did not even have any casualties. Even when they routed in between, they recovered nicely and were still fighting on. Moreover I see American tank companies driving in perfect visibility of a Tiger platoon within 1500 to 2000 meters without getting shot into smoldering wrecks. A tiger platoon should be able to take Sherman tanks out by the dozens in this range without the Shermans having any chance to retaliate.

I guess that scenario is just realistic, because the Germans needed a whole week in 44 to get to St. Vith.

Haudrauf

Life is too short to drink bad wine ;-)

Post #: 3
RE: Losheim Gap - Winning Tips? - 2/13/2012 6:36:01 PM   
wodin

If people see things that don't look right can they please send a save to Dave. Otherwise if there is a problem it would never be fixed.

I think as with all wargames soemtimes the scenario isn't really supposed to be played by a certain side.

My Tactical wargame facebook page.

https://www.facebook.com/Tacticalwargame

(in reply to Haudrauf1962)
Post #: 4
RE: Losheim Gap - Winning Tips? - 2/13/2012 7:53:16 PM   
gryfonjames

I saw that one of the developers posted an AAR showing a decisive victory as the Germans, so it should be possible. Unfortunately, the AAR wasn't very specific about how certain units got to where they were going.

Another problem I had was down in the south of the scenario - several times after a succesful attack and after the reserves were released and moved forward, a full-strength US unit appeared behind me started shooting up supply convoys. The unit was so strong (strenth 4) most of the attackers had to attack backward to clear them out.

Per the tutorials, we are directed to trust our subordinates. It sounds like you have to micromanage some companys along your supply lines to prevent this kind of thing.

(in reply to wodin)
Post #: 5
RE: Losheim Gap - Winning Tips? - 2/13/2012 10:01:52 PM   
gryfonjames

...and how do you use the rocket artillery? The AI seems to leave this behind, even if you attach it to an attacking unit. Given it's short range, do you manually need to move it into position to fire? If so, does that mean it is only useful in a prepared assault?

Post #: 6
RE: Losheim Gap - Winning Tips? - 2/14/2012 3:59:18 PM   
simovitch

I've tried to win this one to no avail - it is really difficult. 2 things have happened since I last played it; the enemy strategic AI got a lot more responsive and bridges will blow with more frequency.

What happens now is the US 422 and 423 regiments on the Schnee Eifel pull it together by the afternoon of the first day and make a bee-line for the Our River Bridges. That is a lot for the Germans to try and contend with. Had the 2 regiments been able to organize historically in this fashion, it would have been real tough going for the 18th VG until the Fuhrer Begleit shows up.

Attached is a modified version of this scenario that you find more balanced and historical. It delays the US response more, and extends the scenario another 10 hours into D5. The 422 and 423 bases are removed (they had only recently moved in so it can be assumed that the local supply network was incomplete.) and the line coy's morale is lowered. Finally, I removed St. Vith as a German objective - you will still need to invest the perimeter objectives to win though.

Important: After downloading, rename the attached file extension from "txt" to "zip" and then unzip it to play the scenario (put in Battles from the Bulge/Scenarios/BFTB Scenarios folder).

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by simovitch -- 2/15/2012 2:36:37 PM >

simovitch

Post #: 7
RE: Losheim Gap - Winning Tips? - 2/14/2012 8:41:58 PM   
Deerslayer

quote:

ORIGINAL: simovitch

I've tried to win this one to no avail - it is really difficult. 2 things have happened since I last played it; the enemy strategic AI got a lot more responsive and bridges will blow with more frequency.

What happens now is the US 422 and 423 regiments on the Schnee Eifel pull it together by the afternoon of the first day and make a bee-line for the Our River Bridges. That is a lot for the Germans to try and contend with. Had the 2 regiments been able to organize historically in this fashion, it would have been real tough going for the 18th VG until the Fuhrer Begleit shows up.

Attached is a modified version of this scenario that you find more balanced and historical. It delays the US response more, and extends the scenario another 10 hours into D5. The 422 and 423 bases are removed (they had only recently moved in so it can be assumed that the local supply network was incomplete.) and the line coy's morale is lowered.

Important: After downloading, rename the attached file extension from "txt" to "zip" and then unzip it to play the scenario (put in Battles from the Bulge/Scenarios/BFTB Scenarios folder).

Thanks - I'll have to try this again after playing twice with stock. I really liked the scenario but lost twice with the stock version.

(in reply to simovitch)
Post #: 8
RE: Losheim Gap - Winning Tips? - 2/15/2012 1:46:51 AM   
gryfonjames

thanks for the quick feedback. I will give it a spin and see how it goes!

(in reply to Deerslayer)
Post #: 9
RE: Losheim Gap - Winning Tips? - 2/19/2012 4:37:04 PM   
gryfonjames

first try with new scenario moved me from decisive defeat to marginal defeat. the americans really put on a strong counter-attack late in the game, at 2 of the 3 bridges, resulting in a ton of german losses and lost VPs.

I tried it once as the americans and got a decisive victory without breaking a sweat. all of the armor/mechanized reinforcements allow you to choose a sector and crush the germans. it is also very easy to sit on the forward VP spots and withdraw when they expire.

Post #: 10
RE: Losheim Gap - Winning Tips? - 2/20/2012 1:01:03 AM   
simovitch

Thanks for the feedback - I'm still tweaking this and other scenarios. When they are done we will get these to the masses one way or the other.

simovitch

Post #: 11
RE: Losheim Gap - Winning Tips? - 2/20/2012 1:33:58 PM   
Bazza042

Simovitch,

I assume that when you are tweaking you will enable Joe's Bridge to be played by the Germans.
At the moment whichever side you opt for you wind up playing the Allies.

And I still can't get a decisive victory on this, plenty of marginal ones though.

(in reply to simovitch)
Post #: 12
RE: Losheim Gap - Winning Tips? - 2/20/2012 5:09:19 PM   
simovitch

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bazza042

Simovitch,

I assume that when you are tweaking you will enable Joe's Bridge to be played by the Germans.
At the moment whichever side you opt for you wind up playing the Allies.

And I still can't get a decisive victory on this, plenty of marginal ones though.

I can play as Germans... anyone else have this problem?

simovitch

(in reply to Bazza042)
Post #: 13
RE: Losheim Gap - Winning Tips? - 2/20/2012 8:10:54 PM   
TMO

Something strange that I noticed in Joe's Bridge - the in-game estab for the Mor Pl 3 Irish Gds was showing only one 3" mortar, which is odd since the scenario maker has its estab at 70% and five mortars. Changed the seven carriers to six 3" mortar carrier and one normal carrier in the estab editor and all appears, more-or-less, fine now. Before I did this I couldn't play as Germans either - now I can.

That said my in-game and scenario-maker estabs still differ. In-game: UC 3" x6, UC x0, 0.303 x20, Sten x5, PIAT x3, Pers x26. Scenario maker (70% full estab) :UC 3" x5, UC x1, 0.303 x22, Sten x5, PIAT x3, Pers x25. (Note: I have added the three 15cwt trucks to Bde base.)

Regards

Tim

(in reply to simovitch)
Post #: 14
RE: Losheim Gap - Winning Tips? - 2/21/2012 6:57:51 AM   
Bazza042

Simovitch,

Judging by your raised eyebrows this was clearly not a familiar problem.

So I reinstalled and now OK apart from the fact that I still can't get the decisive victory.

Thanks for the raised eyebrows

(in reply to TMO)
Post #: 15
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Discontinued Games] >> Command Ops Series >> Losheim Gap - Winning Tips? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI