Matrix Games Forums

New information and screenshots for Pike & ShotDeal of the Week Pride of NationsTo End All Wars Releasing on Steam! Slitherine is recruiting: Programmers requiredPandora: Eclipse of Nashira gets release dateCommunity impressions of To End All WarsAgeod's To End All Wars is now availableTo End All Wars is now available!Deal of the Week: Field of GloryTo End All Wars: Video, AAR and Interview!
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

A new WWI naval game is out.

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> A new WWI naval game is out. Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
A new WWI naval game is out. - 2/13/2012 3:27:48 AM   
stormbringer3

There is a new WWI naval game called Steam & Iron The Great War At Sea. There is a thread about the game in the forum on The Wargamer Site and the players seem to really like it.
Post #: 1
RE: A new WWI naval game is out. - 2/13/2012 10:04:21 PM   
Slick Wilhelm

Here's the link in case you want to check it out. Fantastic WWI naval combat game. Very minimal eye candy, but great gameplay.

(in reply to stormbringer3)
Post #: 2
RE: A new WWI naval game is out. - 2/13/2012 11:25:46 PM   
Titanwarrior89

Looks interesting....Hmmmmm....thanks.

"Before Guadalcanal the enemy advanced at his pleasure. After Guadalcanal, he retreated at ours".

"Mama, There's Rabbits in the Garden"

(in reply to Slick Wilhelm)
Post #: 3
RE: A new WWI naval game is out. - 2/14/2012 10:28:02 AM   
wodin

Naval games aren't usually my thing. Though this does look interesting I must say.
The NWS forum is full of praise it seems.
A possible buy at some point.

My Tactical wargame facebook page.

https://www.facebook.com/Tacticalwargame

(in reply to Titanwarrior89)
Post #: 4
RE: A new WWI naval game is out. - 2/14/2012 12:55:41 PM   
jadejade128

This is interesting..Lets go and check this game out. Im not into naval games either but I love World War games.

legitimate work from home jobs
diet plans
best diets
weight loss diet

(in reply to wodin)
Post #: 5
RE: A new WWI naval game is out. - 2/14/2012 1:46:45 PM   
Terminus

Scummy spambots aside, this game looks like it suffers from the same malady that all NWS games do, namely a poorly-designed user interface. I'm sure there's an interesting game underneath, but that's irrelevant if the UI doesn't let you find it.

We are all dreams of the Giant Space Butterfly.

(in reply to jadejade128)
Post #: 6
RE: A new WWI naval game is out. - 2/14/2012 7:03:24 PM   
Titanwarrior89

Reminds me of Harpoon.

"Before Guadalcanal the enemy advanced at his pleasure. After Guadalcanal, he retreated at ours".

(in reply to Terminus)
Post #: 7
RE: A new WWI naval game is out. - 2/14/2012 7:49:19 PM   
Missouri_Rebel

Yikes! No offense meant, but the graphics are, shall I say, very Commador 64ish. I'm sure there's a decent game in there somewhere, just not for me.

Guess it is true. Beauty IS in the eye of the beer-holder.

mo reb

**Those who rob Peter to pay Paul can always count on the support of Paul
**A government big enough to give you everything you want is a government big enough to take from you everything you have-Gerald Ford

Post #: 8
RE: A new WWI naval game is out. - 2/14/2012 7:56:27 PM   
parusski

quote:

Beauty IS in the eye of the beer-holder.

LOL. How right you are. Time will tell if this game is worthy of our time.

"I hate newspapermen. They come into camp and pick up their camp rumors and print them as facts. I regard them as spies, which, in truth, they are. If I killed them all there would be news from Hell before breakfast."- W.T. Sherman

(in reply to Missouri_Rebel)
Post #: 9
RE: A new WWI naval game is out. - 2/14/2012 7:57:53 PM   
Perturabo

WWI harpoon? Sounds interesting. I remember playing Harpoon Classic demo a bit when I was a teen. I have a full version on a cover CD but it's from Win95 era and I can't get it to run on Wine.

Without social solidarity manifested in the form of welfare state, people inhabiting one territory are a non-nation of mortal enemies engaged in competition for survival.

Post #: 10
RE: A new WWI naval game is out. - 2/14/2012 8:02:12 PM   
parusski

quote:

I can't get it to run on Wine.

Duh, it only runs on BEER.

Wine, sheeeesh.

"I hate newspapermen. They come into camp and pick up their camp rumors and print them as facts. I regard them as spies, which, in truth, they are. If I killed them all there would be news from Hell before breakfast."- W.T. Sherman

(in reply to Perturabo)
Post #: 11
RE: A new WWI naval game is out. - 2/14/2012 8:24:52 PM   
Vincenzo Beretta

quote:

ORIGINAL: Terminus

I'm sure there's an interesting game underneath, but that's irrelevant if the UI doesn't let you find it.

War in the Pacific does seem to contradict this ^^

< Message edited by Vincenzo Beretta -- 2/14/2012 8:25:25 PM >

FAQ
Harpoon for Dummies
Facebook

(in reply to Terminus)
Post #: 12
RE: A new WWI naval game is out. - 2/14/2012 8:29:11 PM   
Perturabo

quote:

ORIGINAL: Missouri_Rebel

Yikes! No offense meant, but the graphics are, shall I say, very Commador 64ish.

Not really. C64 had a very good palette of colours. It used dark, toned down colours. This game has a very horrible blue as a sea colour which looks like it was taken straight from the CGA palette.But hey, it could be worse. They could have used CGA pink for land.

Without social solidarity manifested in the form of welfare state, people inhabiting one territory are a non-nation of mortal enemies engaged in competition for survival.

Post #: 13
RE: A new WWI naval game is out. - 2/14/2012 8:31:14 PM   
Vincenzo Beretta

quote:

ORIGINAL: Perturabo

quote:

Yikes! No offense meant, but the graphics are, shall I say, very Commador 64ish.

Not really. C64 had a very good palette of colours. It used dark, toned down colours. This game has a very horrible blue as a sea colour which looks like it was taken straight from the CGA palette.But hey, it could be worse. They could have used CGA pink for land.

You *can* use CGA pink for land: the palette is fully editable.

FAQ
Harpoon for Dummies
Facebook

(in reply to Perturabo)
Post #: 14
RE: A new WWI naval game is out. - 2/14/2012 8:56:35 PM   
Perturabo

quote:

ORIGINAL: Vincenzo Beretta

quote:

ORIGINAL: Perturabo

quote:

You *can* use CGA pink for land: the palette is fully editable.

Good to hear it. If I'll ever buy it, I'll change the palette to the C64 one. Does it have a demo? If it doesn't, has anyone tried to run it on Wine?

(in reply to Vincenzo Beretta)
Post #: 15
RE: A new WWI naval game is out. - 2/14/2012 9:56:16 PM   
Terminus

quote:

quote:

I'm sure there's an interesting game underneath, but that's irrelevant if the UI doesn't let you find it.

The UI in WitP AE is MUCH better than this one... And the game is about 10000% complicated.

We are all dreams of the Giant Space Butterfly.

Post #: 16
RE: A new WWI naval game is out. - 2/15/2012 12:44:30 AM   
thewood1

But at least NWS is trying to make the interface better...

(in reply to Terminus)
Post #: 17
RE: A new WWI naval game is out. - 2/15/2012 1:58:51 AM   
jomni

Can't compare to WITP as it does not do tactical battles.

The game is a actually only needs a few points and clicks if your playing Admiral Level (no micromanagement) based on the video AARs. Graphics does reminds me of Harpoon Classic.

My Blog
Random Wargame Name Generator

(in reply to thewood1)
Post #: 18
RE: A new WWI naval game is out. - 2/15/2012 2:35:18 AM   
Vincenzo Beretta

quote:

quote:

quote:

The UI in WitP AE is MUCH better than this one... And the game is about 10000% complicated.

Ah, so you have SAI! Can go you go more in-depth about this UIs comparison? What is your overall impression of the game after playing it? (I'm especially interested in what do you think about the three different levels of Command & Control)

FAQ
Harpoon for Dummies
Facebook

(in reply to Terminus)
Post #: 19
RE: A new WWI naval game is out. - 2/15/2012 5:34:00 AM   
Perturabo

quote:

ORIGINAL: jomni

the video AARs.

Link, plz?

(in reply to jomni)
Post #: 20
RE: A new WWI naval game is out. - 2/15/2012 5:53:42 AM   
Vincenzo Beretta

The videos show the game played at different command levels. However I would suggest you to watch the third and the fourth, since they show the current state of the game (v. 1.0 had some annoying Access Violation errors).

[SAI] AAR: Jutland
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hGnto88-BgU

[SAI] Jutland HSF [Adm]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3hdq_gTTASM

[SAI] Jutland HSF [Cpt] v1.01
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lV81hv5oN9o

[SAI] Operational Jutland [Cpt] v1.01
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yEAOyERAook

Edit: these AARs are also based on the biggest battle in the scenario list (Jutland after all ) Smaller battles allow to player to concentrate on smaller details: factors like own smoke obscuring the gunners vision, position of the sun in the sky, hit locations and such are all factored in the game, but it is impossible to really track them in Jutland. In a smaller batttle, though, they can become crucial.

< Message edited by Vincenzo Beretta -- 2/15/2012 6:28:02 AM >

FAQ
Harpoon for Dummies
Facebook

(in reply to Perturabo)
Post #: 21
RE: A new WWI naval game is out. - 2/15/2012 11:53:31 AM   
Missouri_Rebel

Watched much of the videos and while there are some minor glitches to the UI (play speed not sticking for one) and ,as the commentator stated, a few enhancements warranted, I was surprisingly impressed. When I stated earlier that the game was not for me it wasn't because I found the graphics too off, more to do with the fact that I never had too much of an interest in naval warfare even if I did give WITP a go. Makes for one heck of a learning curve when you don't even understand the basics.

I'm trying to find some info on the smaller battles but have been unsuccessful at this point. If anyone has some links to either an AAR or video it would be appreciated. I'd like to see some more close up screens or play.

Maybe it is the excitement of the the unknown but my interest is certainly perked.

mo reb

< Message edited by Missouri_Rebel -- 2/15/2012 11:56:36 AM >

**Those who rob Peter to pay Paul can always count on the support of Paul
**A government big enough to give you everything you want is a government big enough to take from you everything you have-Gerald Ford

Post #: 22
RE: A new WWI naval game is out. - 2/15/2012 12:14:42 PM   
Missouri_Rebel

Here is a screen of part of the video that I found interesting. Look at the wake from the DD during its evasion maneuvers. Very cool. I assume the black circles are shell hits and misses but I could be wrong.

Note+ Quality of screen here is bad because I enlarged a youtube vid and then captured.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 23
RE: A new WWI naval game is out. - 2/15/2012 12:27:56 PM   
Vincenzo Beretta

NWS posted the manuals for download to give a taste of the game:

http://www.navalwarfare.net/files/SAI/SAI-PLAYERS_MANUAL.pdf
http://www.navalwarfare.net/files/SAI/SAI-SCENARIO_EDITOR_MANUAL.pdf
http://www.navalwarfare.net/files/SAI/SAI-SHIP_DESIGNER_MANUAL.pdf

The Player's Manual is only 14 pages long. This is a game that factors in a lot of variables, but learning the basics is quite easy.

FAQ
Harpoon for Dummies
Facebook

Post #: 24
RE: A new WWI naval game is out. - 2/15/2012 12:39:01 PM   
Vincenzo Beretta

quote:

Here is a screen of part of the video that I found interesting. Look at the wake from the DD during its evasion maneuvers. Very cool. I assume the black circles are shell hits and misses but I could be wrong.

The white circles are shell splashes, but the black ones are the smoke emitted by the ships' funnels. Smoke "moves" according to the ship's speed, and the wind strength and direction - and can foul gunnery.

Also, at this zoom level you can see the ships' turrets. Those pictured here are not firing, but in battle situations the turrets rotate towards the enemy - that's if they are not jammed or destroyed of course.

Since in this picture the sun is setting in the east, the "glare" warning is displayed on the upper left. Ships looking or firing towards the setting sun (or raising sun in the morning) suffer a penalty both in spotting and accuracy.

FAQ
Harpoon for Dummies
Facebook

Post #: 25
RE: A new WWI naval game is out. - 2/15/2012 1:11:02 PM   
Missouri_Rebel

Thanks for all the info Vincenzo, I'm reading the manuals now.

Post #: 26
RE: A new WWI naval game is out. - 2/15/2012 3:29:44 PM   
Slick Wilhelm

quote:

Ah, so you have SAI! Can go you go more in-depth about this UIs comparison? What is your overall impression of the game after playing it? (I'm especially interested in what do you think about the three different levels of Command & Control)

Game, set, match.

To be honest, the UI was a bit clunky with the first release. But the developer, Fredrik, actually welcomes suggestions and constructive criticism...and has added in hotkeys for zoom and for moving the map. So with these additions, the UI is much better and you can use both hands to easily move the map and keep your eye on the action.

Those of you who dismiss this game because of the admittedly ancient graphics, are missing out on a very accomplished game. We often complain because we get all the chrome without the content. SAI is all about the content, and none of the chrome.

< Message edited by Slick Wilhelm -- 2/15/2012 3:31:11 PM >

Post #: 27
RE: A new WWI naval game is out. - 2/15/2012 4:37:38 PM   
Titanwarrior89

You may have sold me on this baby......I may give it a try.
quote:

ORIGINAL: Slick Wilhelm

quote:

Game, set, match.

To be honest, the UI was a bit clunky with the first release. But the developer, Fredrik, actually welcomes suggestions and constructive criticism...and has added in hotkeys for zoom and for moving the map. So with these additions, the UI is much better and you can use both hands to easily move the map and keep your eye on the action.

Those of you who dismiss this game because of the admittedly ancient graphics, are missing out on a very accomplished game. We often complain because we get all the chrome without the content. SAI is all about the content, and none of the chrome.

(in reply to Slick Wilhelm)
Post #: 28
RE: A new WWI naval game is out. - 2/15/2012 5:07:05 PM   
gabeeg

For any of those still on the fence because of the UI, I am dense to the point having to wear a helmet and have my wife feed me...and I had the UI down in about 15-20minutes of playing and now it is mostly invisible to me (could stand a tweak or two...but better than most IMO).

Post #: 29
RE: A new WWI naval game is out. - 2/15/2012 5:27:15 PM   
planner 3

I think I'll stay away from any game that the suns "Sets in the EAST" (per vincenzo)

"As Pogo said, 'We have met the enemy and he is us' "

(in reply to gabeeg)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> A new WWI naval game is out. Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI