Matrix Games Forums

Happy Easter!Battle Academy is now available on SteamPlayers compare Ageods Civil War to Civil War IIDeal of the week - An updated War in the East goes half Price!Sign up for the Qvadriga beta for iPad and Android!Come and say hi at Pax and SaluteLegends of War goes on sale!Piercing Fortress Europa Gets UpdatedBattle Academy Mega Pack is now availableClose Combat: Gateway to Caen Teaser Trailer
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: To ditch XP or not?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command Ops Series >> RE: To ditch XP or not? Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
[Poll]

To ditch XP or not?

Ditch support for XP
  79% (71)
Retain support for XP
  20% (18)

Total Votes : 89

(last vote on : 2/22/2012 3:20:39 PM)
(Poll ended: 2/25/2012 7:00:00 AM)
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: To ditch XP or not? - 2/13/2012 8:32:44 PM   
RockinHarry

Didn´t vote. I´ll stick with WinXP til the very last moment, but I´ll likely switch to a newer OS IF I can afford a second gaming rig for it.

If it´s just for the benefit of improving the UI, I don´t really care. I don´t have any issues with it ATM. So I´d say retain.

If there´s benefits of improving the game and simulation aspects overall, I´d say ...ditch.

Inconclusive..

RockinHarry in the web:

http://www.myspace.com/rockinharryz
http://www.youtube.com/user/rockinharryz
https://www.facebook.com/harry.zann

(in reply to Peter Fisla)
Post #: 31
RE: To ditch XP or not? - 2/14/2012 8:31:53 AM   
Bison36

quote:

ORIGINAL: Arjuna

Hi all,

We are considering options for the future. We would like to improve the user interface with such things as transparent map overlays and dynamic text fields that support multiple font sizes.

Yes! I love overlays and anything to lessen eye strain is a good thing in my book. Well that and I don't have an XP system (selfish I know).

(in reply to Arjuna)
Post #: 32
RE: To ditch XP or not? - 2/15/2012 12:04:14 AM   
starbuck310

Ditch move on. I vote new improved features and better games.

Post #: 33
RE: To ditch XP or not? - 2/15/2012 1:40:58 AM   
Grim.Reaper

I am actually surprised that 20% seem to want to keep XP right now....just can't see how that is practical in the long term. Seems like XP has run its course, probably more so then any other operating system version.

Windows 8 Pro (64-bit)
INTEL 3770k QUAD (3.50 Ghz)
16GB of RAM (DDR3)
ATI HD6850 Graphics Card (1GB GDDR5)
39" LCD Display (1920x1080)

(in reply to starbuck310)
Post #: 34
RE: To ditch XP or not? - 2/15/2012 2:55:42 AM   
bretg80

Ditch XP.

I've been off XP for years and really enjoy Win7. Move to 64 bit so we can take advantage of our 8GB+ machines.

Post #: 35
RE: To ditch XP or not? - 2/29/2012 12:21:28 AM   
sweeteye

I am kind of middle of the road about it....I have XP installed right now although I have windows 7 to put in if I wanted or needed to.I use flight simulators quite a bit and have had the best luck with them on XP...Vista messed my flight sims up in some ways...tried it once..Joystick issues seem to be common on 7 and vista but I guess sometimes you can get a patch fix depending on your joystick. Also I kind of like the way C drive files are set up on XP but I could get use to a change....Going to have to change eventually I suppose...

Headquarters Company
422nd Regiment 106th Division
Sons of World War II Veterans

(in reply to bretg80)
Post #: 36
RE: To ditch XP or not? - 2/29/2012 12:35:44 AM   
Lieste

I think that for future development it only makes sense to use Vista/W7 - XP is at it's EOL. The existing version(s) will still continue to work on XP so anyone who cannot upgrade their machine can still run what in my view is the best wargame system currently available, but the opportunities to continue enhancing the functionality are made a smooth as possible for development.

(in reply to sweeteye)
Post #: 37
RE: To ditch XP or not? - 3/1/2012 3:25:21 AM   
PanzerMax

Windows 8 is a continued evolution of Vista. It will have a new optional user interface, and lot of improvements under the hood, but it will not be dramatically different at core.

Windows XP was a good OS 10 years ago. That is really an eternity in computing. It was built to run on 600 Mhz Pentium IIIs -- a typical processor today has 10-15x the computing power of those chips.

I sometimes fix computers for a small company that uses XP ... compared to Windows 7, it is just painful. Luckily, they don't get paid for anything they produce on a computer.

For a game released two years from now, it should not be supported.

(in reply to Lieste)
Post #: 38
RE: To ditch XP or not? - 3/1/2012 7:43:59 PM   
nate25

I just hate change. I realize you're right, you just have to drag me kicking and screaming.

Nate

(in reply to Grim.Reaper)
Post #: 39
RE: To ditch XP or not? - 3/7/2012 2:57:07 PM   
rfrizz

Is this feature the most important item on your "Things to Do" list?

On the subject, a tool from a management class which I used to help me prioritize tasks was to make a matrix like this:

Goal Cost Benefit Value (CxB)

This wasn't the be-all-end-all since it ignores deadlines, but it gave me a solid starting point for prioritizing tasks.

HTH anyone out there.

Post #: 40
RE: To ditch XP or not? - 3/7/2012 2:58:20 PM   
rfrizz

Most of my systems are Vista, BTW.

(in reply to rfrizz)
Post #: 41
RE: To ditch XP or not? - 3/7/2012 3:37:10 PM   
wodin

quote:

ORIGINAL: sweeteye

I am kind of middle of the road about it....I have XP installed right now although I have windows 7 to put in if I wanted or needed to.I use flight simulators quite a bit and have had the best luck with them on XP...Vista messed my flight sims up in some ways...tried it once..Joystick issues seem to be common on 7 and vista but I guess sometimes you can get a patch fix depending on your joystick. Also I kind of like the way C drive files are set up on XP but I could get use to a change....Going to have to change eventually I suppose...

I've had no problems at all with Win 7 and Joysticks. Actually just one and that was down to the game not the OS. Win 7 is as good and as stable as XP (just more upto date and you can use all the ram you want).

I always partition my drive. Games have their own separate partition. I never install to programfilesx86.

My Tactical wargame facebook page.

https://www.facebook.com/Tacticalwargame

(in reply to sweeteye)
Post #: 42
RE: To ditch XP or not? - 3/7/2012 8:27:17 PM   
blastpop

Keep XP- These games run well on older machines and XP is so very stable. So much so I would buy a new machine with XP if that was an available option when I am ready to buy once again. In my humble opinion, XP is the best OS ever released for a PC and will continue to run this machine until it won't run any longer.

I know SEVERAL "old school computer wargamers", locally who would not upgrade for merely one game, as they have older software that may or may not run on a new machine. As an extreme example I know one gentleman in particular who hot seats several games on most Saturdays. They have 2 older PCs and an old Apple 2C that still works. The game that is played on the 2C is the original SSG game- Reach for the Stars. So there is still a lot of "legacy gaming" for a lack of a better term. There are far more gamers who play older games with the attendant "old timer" computer than I think a lot of folks realize- just based on the local situation alone.

Personally I will say that my computer buying cycle went from about every 3 years to what is now 7-8 at a minimum. When I finally take the plunge, I will buy the best I can afford and disappear to my gaming den - resisting the drumbeat to buy a new computer for the "latest graphics". I might upgrade somewhat with a newer Hard drive card or more memory at some point to extend the life of the computer, but since I play these style games there is no real need to have a power rig. Bearing that in mind I see no good reason for Arjuna to abandon XP and loose potential customers.

< Message edited by blastpop -- 3/7/2012 8:29:19 PM >

(in reply to wodin)
Post #: 43
RE: To ditch XP or not? - 3/7/2012 8:28:40 PM   
sweeteye

I was trying out a machine from a rental place that had vista on it and it would not recognize my joystick...I had another PC which I ended up selling that had 7 on it and I had no problems with my joy stick.....I have seen where some joysticks have some type of patch for 7 and vista...I guess 7 and vista are the same thing basically.7 is just improved vista.?...Maybe it depends on the brand of stick you have...Not much of an issue with BFTB thoughI am thinking about reformatting and I might put 7 on.I have so much on my hard drive and really do not want to have to go through reinstalling everything though.It probably is time to move away from XP even though I like it..

< Message edited by sweeteye -- 3/7/2012 8:30:47 PM >

Headquarters Company
422nd Regiment 106th Division
Sons of World War II Veterans

(in reply to wodin)
Post #: 44
RE: To ditch XP or not? - 3/7/2012 9:10:14 PM   
wodin

VISTA was renowned for driver issues. Win 7 sorted all that out. You can't compare OS with regards to this sort of thing. Win7 is streets ahead.

My Tactical wargame facebook page.

https://www.facebook.com/Tacticalwargame

(in reply to sweeteye)
Post #: 45
RE: To ditch XP or not? - 6/30/2013 2:28:29 PM   
Templer

I remember that Microsoft stop the support for Win XP in 2014 (April or May, I think).
So XP has no future - I will miss it.

Ditch it!

< Message edited by Templer -- 6/30/2013 6:26:30 PM >

Post #: 46
RE: To ditch XP or not? - 6/30/2013 2:57:42 PM   
henri51

I would ditch XP, because any effort you put supporting XP will have been wasted in a couple of years, and you are losing the powerful capabilities of the new systems. Also I suspect that most computers still on XP are in companies or Government given the cost of upgrading hundreds of computers (for example the Canadian Dept of Revenue was still using Windows 2000 a couple of years ago when I did work for them as a consultant...). In addition, since Microsoft has stopped supporting XP, at some point soon problems will start popping up due to bugs in XP that you will not be able to correct. Another reason is that MOST (not all) people change computers every two or three years, and most new computers come with the new versions of Windows, so it is my guess that in two years, the number of players using XP will have become negligible.

Note that I have hundreds of games including over 30 Matrix games, and ALL of them work with Win 7 64 bits.

Do not program yourself into a dead end.

Henri

(in reply to Templer)
Post #: 47
RE: To ditch XP or not? - 6/30/2013 4:19:37 PM   
Rtwfreak

And then we'll ditch Vista and then we'll ditch Win7 and then we'll ditch Win 8 (I already have ditched Win8 worst of the bunch) so when does it end? People have to pay a lot of money for these OS's now yah know? I still use XP hell I still use Win98 because some older games just won't work on new OS's. I have a car 25 years old that runs on gas today why can't software do the same? Make the machine and OS that operates on all software don't force the consumer to buy a machine for every generation of software.

(in reply to henri51)
Post #: 48
RE: To ditch XP or not? - 6/30/2013 4:44:03 PM   
Templer

In this case, it ends when Microsoft stops to develop new versions of its operating system.

Then, there is no more need, to stay up with the latest technology.

Sorry Rtwfreak

(in reply to Rtwfreak)
Post #: 49
RE: To ditch XP or not? - 6/30/2013 6:09:58 PM   
chops

Stop support for WinXP. Microsoft will stop supporting WinXP in April 2014. At that time WinXP will be a very vulnerable operating system, which hackers will exploit. It is time to move on.

Command Ops runs great on Win 8. Microsoft will be releasing an update called Win 8.1 which will bring back the Start Button, and make it more user friendly for old-timers.

(in reply to Templer)
Post #: 50
RE: To ditch XP or not? - 7/1/2013 4:10:22 PM   
rrbill

Well I hope so.

Just brought home a Win 8 laptop as our second computer and hope I can easily get this game going. Ahh... lighter weight, faster processing, brighter screens, and clean looks. What's not to like.

Get with it guys, living in the past isn't the best way to meet the future. There are some great games now found only on DOS and Apple IIcs.

(in reply to chops)
Post #: 51
RE: To ditch XP or not? - 7/1/2013 8:27:21 PM   
Perturabo

quote:

ORIGINAL: sweeteye

quote:

am kind of middle of the road about it....I have XP installed right now although I have windows 7 to put in if I wanted or needed to.I use flight simulators quite a bit and have had the best luck with them on XP...Vista messed my flight sims up in some ways...tried it once..Joystick issues seem to be common on 7 and vista but I guess sometimes you can get a patch fix depending on your joystick. Also I kind of like the way C drive files are set up on XP but I could get use to a change....Going to have to change eventually I suppose...

Isn't it possible to have a Windows 7/Windows XP dual boot?

Without social solidarity manifested in the form of welfare state, people inhabiting one territory are a non-nation of mortal enemies engaged in competition for survival.

(in reply to sweeteye)
Post #: 52
RE: To ditch XP or not? - 7/1/2013 10:32:08 PM   
Rosmarus

Ditch XP, there is no other viable solution. There is no reason to stick on to an old OS which has been obsolete for years and years. Some users might be still running XP as their main OS but that shouldn't be a reason to drag old tech around, if CO series seriously wants to evolve and prosper you need to cut corners somewhere. And if that corner is support for XP I wouldn't consider it to be a too big of a loss. Time spent on building gimmicks to make it work on XP could be used better on adapting and embracing new oppurtunities and technologies offered by contemporary software.

And for people still hanging around using XP: Stop it, uninstall it and throw it away, seriously. I used XP well into the Windows 7 era, mainly because I had an old computer and I wanted to wait to get a new rig with Windows 7. I upgraded my Win7 to Win8 few months ago and didn't find anything negative in both of those operating systems. They ran faster than XP, didn't crash nearly as often, looked better, worked better etc. you can go on and on, there really is no reason not to upgrade if you are a private PC owner who mainly uses his system on normal software/gaming.

(in reply to Perturabo)
Post #: 53
RE: To ditch XP or not? - 7/1/2013 10:44:18 PM   
dazkaz15

Ditch it.
People that are running XP have the old version to play with, and if they are that nostalgic about their OS, they will probably be just as nostalgic about the old version of the game, and not wont a new version anyway

(in reply to Rosmarus)
Post #: 54
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command Ops Series >> RE: To ditch XP or not? Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI