Matrix Games Forums

Characters of World War 1Sign of for the Pike and Shot Beta!More Games are Coming to Steam! Deal of the Week: Combat Command Return to the Moon on October 31st! Commander: The Great War iPad Wallpapers Generals of the Great WarDeal of the Week Panzer CorpsNew Strategy Titles Join the FamilyTablet Version of Qvadriga gets new patch
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Questions about naval units

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Time of Fury >> The War Room >> Questions about naval units Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Questions about naval units - 2/8/2012 12:20:36 AM   
Hairog

I'm in a conversation with another player in another forum. He wants to know certain rules about the naval game and I don't have time right now to answer him. Could some one answer his questions and I will send them to him. The other forum doesn't like references to other forums.

quote:

Thanks very much for your reply.

I know the roles of the various naval units; my question is more along the lines of (for example - I am at work and don't have the game in front of me) let's take cruisers.

There are several varieties. A light cruiser - ok, good for killing subs, and quicker than a vanilla cruiser by X many turns and Y amount od PPs. But what are the relative values? If the vanilla cruiser takes twice as long and is twice as expensive, is it basically the same as 2 light cruisers?

I don't want to go under the hood either (I try to avoid that religiously), but I do want to know how the units stack up against each other. Like CVs and Fleet CVs. Is it worth the time if I can afford it (and the PPs?) Or would early USA be better off to get 2 x vanilla carriers as it provides considerably more punch? (let's not get into 1 vs. 2 units purchased, etc - just straight 'firepower'. Which is better value for the money?)

Should I go for the long, expensive units when I can afford it, and only go for cheaper, quicker-to-produce units when the need is urgent?

See, I don't want odds tables, but I do want to know what each unit represents in contrast to each other.

So saying (for example) a Fleet CV has attack 10, etc etc etc, while a vanilla CV has attack 6, and the little ones have only attack 2 or something - that is what I am after so I can figure out which unit matches what it is I am trying to purchase.

So if anyone has anything (even rough) on this, I would appreciate it!

World War Three 1946 Blog
World War Three 1946 2nd Edition available at Amazon
Post #: 1
RE: Questions about naval units - 2/8/2012 11:42:25 PM   
LiquidSky

There are four basic types of naval units.

CV's Carriers
BB's Battleships
CA's Cruisers
Subs Submarines

Within each of these basic types, there are subtypes. All subtypes have the same hitting potential in combat, where they differ is in hp's.

Which means that a Battleship hits the same as a battlecruiser. The difference is the Battleship can absorb more damage before sinking.
The same goes for the Cruiser over the Light Cruiser over the Auxillery Cruiser.

So really...you can use cheaper ships to get more bang for the buck, but when you go toe to toe with an established navy (like the British, or Italian) with their many heavier ships, you will lose ships to only damage.

What's the sense of sending $2 million missiles to hit a $10 tent that's empty?

— President George W. Bush, Oval Office meeting, 13 September 2001.

(in reply to Hairog)
Post #: 2
AMPHIB OPNS - 2/28/2012 5:39:36 PM   
shermanwar

Hi,
I am trying hard to figure out how to do some simple small ampihb opns just to learn. I can transport units by sea and disembark them just fine at friendly ports, but when it comes to any other port I cant seem to figure it out. The tutorial is not very clear either. Any help really appreciated!!
Sherman

(in reply to LiquidSky)
Post #: 3
RE: AMPHIB OPNS - 2/28/2012 6:53:45 PM   
doomtrader

You need to load the troops on landing crafts instead of transporters.

(in reply to shermanwar)
Post #: 4
RE: AMPHIB OPNS - 2/28/2012 8:47:44 PM   
shermanwar

Hi Doom,
Thanks OK I just saw it...its in the button bar DUH Thanks!!

Sherman

< Message edited by shermanwar -- 2/28/2012 8:52:20 PM >

(in reply to doomtrader)
Post #: 5
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Time of Fury >> The War Room >> Questions about naval units Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI