How is this game?

Eagle Day to Bombing of the Reich is a improved and enhanced edition of Talonsoft's older Battle of Britain and Bombing the Reich. This updated version represents the best simulation of the air war over Britain and the strategic bombing campaign over Europe that has ever been made.

Moderators: Joel Billings, harley, warshipbuilder, simovitch

Redmarkus5

How is this game?

Post by Redmarkus5 »

I owned the original BoB Talonsoft version of this game (I forget the name) and never bought the extended Matrix version.

I have a reviewed interest in the air war and am wondering if I should buy. It seems rather pricey for a two year old product with only a 3 star rating and few added mods or scenarios...

Any comments from someone who owns it?
WitE2 tester, WitW, WitP, CMMO, CM2, GTOS, GTMF, WP & WPP, TOAW4, BA2
nelmsm1

RE: How is this game?

Post by nelmsm1 »

If you've an interest in the air war at this level then I'd say buy it.  You won't regret it.
wildweasel0585

Post by wildweasel0585 »

few if any bugs at all and very stable. If you have an interest in the air war you'll love it. About mods and other scenarios; there are some Art mods around, but I have no clue if there are any other scenarios floating around.
On of the bad things, is that the community is very small and if you're looking for an opponent, it might be hard.

If you're still really into the original, then you should buy it.
Personally, I think the game is worth 5 stars. If the price, 3 stars and the lack of additional mods hold you back, then you should still buy it.

If you're not really going to like it that much and thought the original was ho-hum, then you shouldn't buy it.
THERE WAS A FIREFIGHT!!!!
Redmarkus5

Post by Redmarkus5 »

Thanks guys. I bought it this morning.
DavidFaust

Post by DavidFaust »

I am thinking about getting this game also but after reading about the sweeps and reviews about the user interface it has turned me off.

Are these 2 things a deal breaker for this game or are they over hyped?

PS.. Hi Hard Sarge, long time no see.
bcgames

Post by bcgames »

The interface can be mastered very quickly. An understanding of game rules comes readily thereafter. Then it's all about how you play the game; the strategies and the supporting tactics are all fields to be plowed to see what will grow. This game is a nice little diamond with many facets to explore. I love it.
Redmarkus5

Post by Redmarkus5 »

I was put off by the bad press and the screen shots as well, right up until last Friday! Now I have the game I realize that it's a real gem, just in need of some polishing.

I am starting a PBEM vs, Carnage today and we'll probably do our usual AAR thing, although mine will be a basic one due to work pressures.

If you're a WitP or WitE type of player, you will definitely want to have EDBtR in your stable.
Turner

Post by Turner »

ORIGINAL: bcgames

The interface can be mastered very quickly. An understanding of game rules comes readily thereafter. Then it's all about how you play the game; the strategies and the supporting tactics are all fields to be plowed to see what will grow. This game is a nice little diamond with many facets to explore. I love it.

Agreed, spot on.
"There are no desperate situations, only desperate people." - Heinz Guderian

Trippin' with Jagdgeschwader 11
DavidFaust

Post by DavidFaust »

I have not played a war game since WiTE has been released. I think I needed a break form the intense playing of WIR (yes I played this game too much) followed by play testing of WiTE.

Bought the game today as I would like to get back into war gaming but wanted a game I have not played before and this one seemed very interesting.
Redmarkus5

Post by Redmarkus5 »

ORIGINAL: kingtiger_501

I have not played a war game since WiTE has been released. I think I needed a break form the intense playing of WIR (yes I played this game too much) followed by play testing of WiTE.

Bought the game today as I would like to get back into war gaming but wanted a game I have not played before and this one seemed very interesting.

Cool. Let's spread the word and get some more people engaged. I'm sorry I didn't look at this title more closely before now.

I just fired off turn one of my first PBEM vs. Carnage (BOB) and will put up a little AAR in a minute.

By the way, check out the Mods section for new map mods by BCGames and myself. My BTR mod is based on some earlier work by another modder, while my BOB stuff is all my own.
cohimbra

Post by cohimbra »

ORIGINAL: bcgames
This game is a nice little diamond with many facets to explore.

+1

The other important things is that it's fun to play. I started my first
PBEM whit GB and I enjoy it very much (even if rain down bombs every day!).

wildweasel0585

Post by wildweasel0585 »

i love this game!
THERE WAS A FIREFIGHT!!!!
Tophat1815

Post by Tophat1815 »

I have the original talon-soft Bombing the Reich and battle of Britain. Been meaning to pick this one up for over a year+ now. Just waiting on that income tax return to make a couple of purchases and this will be one of them. WiTE is approaching burnout stage for me for awhile,also things are a bit too hostile over in that forum section at the moment........time for a change.[;)]

Return to “Gary Grigsby's Eagle Day to Bombing the Reich”