Best spot in hex?

Please post here for questions and discussion about scenario design, art and sound modding and the game editor for WITP Admiral's Edition.

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

BigDuke66

Best spot in hex?

Post by BigDuke66 »

Well where is the best spot in the hex to place another symbol?
I was thinking about a small one that could maybe stay visible(instead of constantly turning on & off) for the bad weather.
wdolson

RE: Best spot in hex?

Post by wdolson »

Are you talking about something added by the program under some condition, or something added to the map art?

The space in the hex is pretty much spoken for.  The code has seven places where it places symbols.  The middle is the dot or the flag.  The upper left is the anchor and dot for mines.  The upper right is the airfield symbol, and the lower two corners are for the LCU icons.  The middle two borders have to be left clear because a hex needs at least one space for ship icons for each side.

When we added the combat and exclamation point symbols we needed to add alternate center icons to cover all conditions.  You can see them in the art directory.

The hexes are pretty crowded now.  There isn't really room for anything else.

Bill
WitP AE - Test team lead, programmer
BigDuke66

Post by BigDuke66 »

Well I'm thinking about a small symbol that shows the different weather levels and I thought it could maybe be made so small to be shown all the time by leaving the "bad weather indicator" on instead of turning it on and off because the cloud art that is now used simply covers almost everything in the hex.
So if the hex is more or less full I guess I will stick to turning it on/off and will make a small graphic to show the different levels in a clearly recognizable way.
inqistor

Post by inqistor »

I would say:
"Use the alpha, Luke!"

but I think, there is no alpha channel in bmp files, and I am not sure WITP even can support it.

Anyway, you could try partly cover airfield icon. After all weather mainly influences air operations. So top-top-right seems to be right spot.

Return to “Scenario Design and Modding”