Matrix Games Forums

Deal of the Week - Pride of NationsA new update for Piercing Fortress EuropaNew screenshots for War in the West!Pike & Shot is now available!Server Maintenance Battle Academy 2 gets updated!Deal of the Week: Advanced Tactics Gold Ask Buzz Aldrin!Pike & Shot gets Release Date and Twitch Session!Deal of the Week Espana 1936
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Command Ops: Battles from the Bulge Campaign AAR

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command Ops Series >> After Action Reports >> Command Ops: Battles from the Bulge Campaign AAR Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Command Ops: Battles from the Bulge Campaign AAR - 2/6/2012 8:39:00 PM   
fiva55

Scenario #1 Höfen Ho-Down

Battle Plan
For this scenario, it seems that I have the 326 Volksgrenadier Division (VGD) available to me. In theory, a whole division, even a green one, should be sufficient to achieve the objectives assigned to me. Unfortunately, I am missing 2 battalions (Bns), leaving me with only 3 Bns. Even more annoying, 326 VGD has no armored assets, while recon shows that the Americans have plenty.

Although reinforcements, in the form of the 2 missing Bns and 1 company of Stugs, should arrive within the next few days, there is no point in waiting. I only have 3 days to capture my objectives, so no time should be wasted.

Looking at the map, I decide on the following battle plan:

Phase 1
1 Bn / 752 will try to infiltrate the American lines and attack Mützenich from the north.
1 Bn / 753 will attack Höfen South.
1 BN / 751 will attack and occupy the hill overlooking Höfen (Alzen).
Kampfgruppe A (KG A), consisting out of my best infantry company and an infantry gun platoon, will try to infiltrate the American lines and block the road from Monschau to Höfen, thus allowing 1 Bn / 753 and 751 to capture Höfen uninterrupted.

Phase 2
Of the promised reinforcements, 1 Bn will be send to capture Höfen north, the other will be send to attack Monschau. The Stugs will reinforce the attack on Höfen.

Phase 3
Once Höfen has been cleared, 1 Bn will be send to Kalterherberg, 1 Bn to Monschau and the remaining Bn will remain and defend Höfen.

< Message edited by fiva55 -- 2/6/2012 8:41:51 PM >

Providence Lost: A 42-45 GC
Making History I & II
Operation Blue: Completed
Red Storm Rising
Post #: 1
RE: Command Ops: Battles from the Bulge Campaign AAR - 2/6/2012 10:09:27 PM   
Rick

I'm curious to see how the game implements your battle plan. Thanks for starting this and the scrn shot helps make the plan clear. thanks

rick

(in reply to fiva55)
Post #: 2
RE: Command Ops: Battles from the Bulge Campaign AAR - 2/6/2012 10:39:33 PM   
fiva55

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rick

I'm curious to see how the game implements your battle plan. Thanks for starting this and the scrn shot helps make the plan clear. thanks

rick

Thanks for the interest, here is day 1.

Day 1, 0800
All seems to go according to plan. In the north, 1 Bn / 752 managed to penetrate the American lines undiscovered. Forward elements have already reached the hill overlooking Mützenich.

In the south, the attack on Höfen is also progressing well. As of yet, enemy artillery activity seems to be limited, though that will without doubt change soon. Meanwhile, KG A (Fussilier company and IG platoon) has almost reach their blocking position, thus hopefully preventing enemy reinforcements from joining the battle for Höfen.

Day 1, 1200
KG A has reached its blocking position, just in time to ambush an American platoon of Stuarts coming in from the north. After a short firefight, 4 of the 5 American Stuarts are destroyed, causing the enemy platoon to rout.

Meanwhile, 1 Bn / 753 has largely cleared Höhen south, though 1 Bn / 751 is still struggling to gain a foothold on its objective.

Day 1, 1600

Despite repeated attacks by 1 Bn / 752, the Americans managed to hold Mützenich. At this stage, I am content to let the AI handle this objective.

The main focus lies on Höhen, where 1 Bn / 751 has finally managed to gain some ground on it’s objective.

Day 1, 18:00
Final screenshot of the day. Although we are slightly behind schedule, I am still confident in the plan.

And some good news; 2 Bn / 751 has arrived from the east (D1, 1700), and has been assigned a staging area east of Höfen north. Once they have formed up, they will be tasked with the capture of Höfen north.

< Message edited by fiva55 -- 2/7/2012 1:44:39 AM >

Making History I & II
Red Storm Rising

(in reply to Rick)
Post #: 3
RE: Command Ops: Battles from the Bulge Campaign AAR - 2/7/2012 10:45:08 PM   
fiva55

Day 2, 0100
1 Bn / 751 has finally captured the hill overlooking Höfen south, while 2 Bn / 751 is busy clearing out Höfen north.

Day 2, 1200
The Americans in Höfen are making their last stand. Leaving 2 Bn / 751 and 1 Bn /753 to mop up the resistance, 1 Bn / 751 has begun moving towards Kalterherberg

Also notice the silver cross, indicating that one of my infantry companies, during the day, decided to use the close contact with the Americans as an opportunity to surrender.......

Day 2, 1600
The defenders of Höfen are beginning to surrender, it's just a matter of time now.

Making History I & II
Red Storm Rising

(in reply to fiva55)
Post #: 4
RE: Command Ops: Battles from the Bulge Campaign AAR - 2/7/2012 10:53:42 PM   
fiva55

Day 3, 0200
Höfen has been secured. Meanwhile, 1 Bn / 751 made up for the time they took to capture Alzen by the quick clearing of Kalterherberg.

Also, fresh reinforcements in the form of 2 Bn / 753 have started the attack on Monschau. I had hoped that it was undefended, but no dice.

Day 3, 0800

Reinforced by 2 Bn / 751 coming from Höfen, the defenders of Monschau are finally overwhelmed. Only Mützenich remains in American hands, despite the attempts of 1 Bn / 752.

Day 3, 1000

5 Stugs and a fresh company of infantry are joining the attack on Mützenich from the south.

Day 3, 1200
The stugs and infantry company tip the scale in the favour of the Germans. With Mützenich occupied, all objectives of this scenario have been achieved.

Making History I & II
Red Storm Rising

(in reply to fiva55)
Post #: 5
RE: Command Ops: Battles from the Bulge Campaign AAR - 2/7/2012 10:57:45 PM   
fiva55

Thoughts
It is a nice feeling, when a plan works out. I could probably have achieved the objectives a bit faster, if I had micromanaged my artillery, but the AI did a fine job too.

Final score

Making History I & II
Red Storm Rising

(in reply to fiva55)
Post #: 6
RE: Command Ops: Battles from the Bulge Campaign AAR - 2/7/2012 11:37:05 PM   
Rick

fiva,

Thanks for posting this. I enjoyed it.

Rick

(in reply to fiva55)
Post #: 7
Scenario #2 Elsenborn Ridge - 2/22/2012 12:41:33 PM   
fiva55

Alright, I had some free time yesterday, and decided to tackle the second scenario of the campaign. Unfortunately, I forgot to make saves & screenshots, so I lack the tools to make a proper AAR for this scenario. Unless somebody is interested in a day by day walktrough, I will just continue with scenario 3.

Battle plan
Phase I
991 Regt (reinforcement) and KG Ott (reinforcement) orders are to clear the northern tracks and road leading to Rocherat Krinkelt.
989 Regt and 990 Regt orders are to clear the tracks leading to Mürringen.
48 Regt and 27 Regt orders are to capture Losheimergraben
9 Fj Regt (reinforcement) orders are to capture Bucholz Station

Phase II
KG Müller orders are to capture Rocherath Krinkelt.
989 Regt and 990 Regt orders are to capture Mürringen.
48 and 27 Regt orders are to capture Hunningen.
89 Regt (reinforcement) orders are to support the attacks against Mürringen and Hunningen.
9 Fj Regt orders are to capture Honsfeld.
KG Peiper orders are to break through and capture Bullingen and clear Rollbahn exit B&C. Once that is achieved, their orders are to evacuate through KG Peiper exit.

Phase III
991 Regt and KG Ott orders are to attack Elsenborn Ridge. Kg Müller will support their attacks.
989 Regt and 990 Regt orders are to attack Wirtzefeld.
48 Regt, 89 Regt and 27 Regt are to be deployed depending on the situation.
9 Fj Regt orders are to defend Bullingen.
Kg Kraus and KG Kuhl orders are to evacuate through Rollbahn exit B&C.

Attachment (1)

Making History I & II
Red Storm Rising

(in reply to Rick)
Post #: 8
Scenario #2 Elsenborn Ridge: Results 1 - 2/22/2012 12:44:23 PM   
fiva55

Final screenshot D4 24:00

Attachment (1)

Making History I & II
Red Storm Rising

(in reply to fiva55)
Post #: 9
RE: Scenario #2 Elsenborn Ridge: Results 2 - 2/22/2012 12:51:40 PM   
fiva55

Final thoughts
A much larger scenario compared to the first one, so it did take some time to get used to the amount of troops I had under control. Still, at least the phase I attacks went according to plan. Unfortunately, during phase II, Peiper got delayed in the woods for 6 hours, thus failing to secure Rollbahn exit B&C in the end. With strong American positions in front of Rollbahn exit B&C, I decided to abandon the idea of evacuating KG Kraus and KG Kuhl, and used them to support the final attacks against Elsenborn Ridge and Wirtzfeld.

Attachment (1)

Making History I & II
Red Storm Rising

(in reply to fiva55)
Post #: 10
RE: Scenario #2 Elsenborn Ridge: Results 2 - 2/23/2012 8:22:11 PM   
Kronolog

Well done. I usually tend to get bogged down on the forest pathways in the centre and north. Some well-placed American companies can manage to stall a whole regiment of my poor volksgrenadiers for a couple of days. Then, when the armour and motor troops appear in the north I have to send them south because all other roads are clogged.

(in reply to fiva55)
Post #: 11
RE: Scenario #2 Elsenborn Ridge: Results 2 - 5/9/2012 7:25:04 PM   
schmolywar

fiva55, im trying to contact you. Your pm inbox is full.

"The Russian advance over this hastily improvised road, constructed with the aid of the most primitive facilities, was, for a time,accompanied by the strains of band music.".

-Peculiarities of russian warfare

(in reply to Kronolog)
Post #: 12
RE: Scenario #2 Elsenborn Ridge: Results 2 - 4/17/2013 4:44:01 AM   
BROJD

Great AAR. I've lost this scenario twice (the first one I tried after the tutorial), so I may try your battle plan.

(in reply to schmolywar)
Post #: 13
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command Ops Series >> After Action Reports >> Command Ops: Battles from the Bulge Campaign AAR Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI