Matrix Games Forums

Buzz Aldrins Space Program Manager is now available!Space Program Manager gets mini-site and Twitch SessionBuzz Aldrin: Ask Me Anything (AMA) on redditDeal of the week Fantasy Kommander: Eukarion WarsSpace Program Manager Launch Contest Announced!Battle Academy 2 is out now on iPad!A closer look at rockets in Space Program ManagerDeal of the Week - Pride of NationsA new update for Piercing Fortress EuropaNew screenshots for War in the West!
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Let's play video: For the Hive!

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds Series >> After Action Reports >> Let's play video: For the Hive! Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Let's play video: For the Hive! - 2/6/2012 9:50:39 AM   
Das123

It's been a while and with the release of the new Beta I thought I'd make another video AAR.

Our race ends up as the Gizureans, so let's call this one...

For the Hive

View the playlist here.

Let's Play Distant Worlds - Episode 1: Set-up phase
Click here to view.

In this episode we simply set-up a game of Distant Worlds using the new beta build, 1.7.0.10. I particularly want to play an aggressive race this time around.

If you are wanting action then this may not be very interesting for you and perhaps the next episode will be more what you are looking for.

In this episode we look at the new options introduced in the beta and the set-up we will be using for the game. We also perform a little house-keeping to optimise our ship and base designs slightly, and also set-up an initial defensive fleet. We set-up our research and do a few other small things before we start the game.

Let's Play Distant Worlds - Episode 2: Exploration phase
Click here to view.

In this video we start exploring our surroundings. After an initial terrible start with very limited resources one of our exploration ships makes a discovery that sets off a chain of events eventually leading to the conquest of an independent colony as well as another very important acquisition.

No battles yet other than ground combat so still not a great deal of action. I guess it gets interesting about half way through when the chain of discoveries begins.

Let's Play Distant Worlds - Episode 3: Unwelcome neighbour
Click here to view.

We discover that there is an independent colony in the home system of another player. After capturing it we need to quickly land troops and stave off possible aggression.

This video has our first battle with an interesting result.

Let's Play Distant Worlds - Episode 4: Preparation
Click here to view.

In this episode the Gizureans make sure their resource stocks are high and begin building a fleet of ships ready to go onto the attack.

Let's Play Distant Worlds - Episode 5: War Footing
Click here to view.

Let the war begin!

In this episode we move our fleet into the Naxxillian home system and start the carnage.

Let's Play Distant Worlds - Episode 6: Escalation
Click here to view.

A coalition of empires forms against us when we attempt to take another homeworld system. Things don't go all our own way.

Let's play Distant Worlds - Episode 7: Victory
Click here to view.

This episode is the last in this playlist because we quite unexpectedly reach the victory conditions. I was tempted to play on because our new fleets were on the move but decided to finish up.

I also hope this series shows that small galaxies and low numbers of opponents can still lead to an interesting game. I would go as far as saying that low numbers of opponents leads to more interesting games than having massive galaxies with all races. We couldn't trade tech so we had to win on our production ability.

I hope you have enjoyed watching this playlist of Distant Worlds 'Let's plays'. I really enjoyed playing as the Gizureans. They are not a race I tend to choose when I'm looking for an aggressive game but would definitely choose them again.

< Message edited by Das123 -- 2/8/2012 9:43:50 PM >
Post #: 1
RE: Let's play video: For the Hive! - 2/6/2012 3:30:00 PM   
idjester

Can't wait to watch these videos.... Stuck at work but once I get home I'm watching them all back to back.... I love your videos series and just wish I could do as good a job as you do. Your videos really inspired me into Distant Worlds series and I would highly recommend anyone to view them. When I first got Distant Worlds most everything I learned about Distant Worlds was because of your wonderful game play videos, they are invalueable to anyone first learning the game.

Thanks for doing another series, and long live THE HIVE....

< Message edited by idjester -- 2/6/2012 3:35:27 PM >

(in reply to Das123)
Post #: 2
RE: Let's play video: For the Hive! - 2/6/2012 6:05:56 PM   
Das123

Thanks Idjester. :)

I've linked episode 4 now to the OP.

(in reply to idjester)
Post #: 3
RE: Let's play video: For the Hive! - 2/7/2012 2:20:54 AM   
idjester

As usual --- A++++ job on the videos.

The Hive has certainly been blessed thoughtout this series so far. With the Naxillians and Quamenos at war that certainly helped you steal their planet from right under their noses. And now your getting too powerful for them to muster any attacks while they have been beating on each other.

Something you might also want to consider -- one of your race goals is to be at war "the most" and with that other war that has been raging on for several sessions you might want to consider thinking about jumping into a war sometime so you can get that race bonus.

Thanks for the new series....

PS, not sure how much I like the new patch. Certainly does add somethings but not everything in the update seams to work properly. I think there was probably about 20 other things I would of added before the stuff the new update added but I need a rundown on all of the new features. When your playing though your next video could you announce anything you "use or see" that is from new (from the update) so we know for sure. Thanks....

(in reply to Das123)
Post #: 4
RE: Let's play video: For the Hive! - 2/7/2012 5:02:38 AM   
Das123

quote:

ORIGINAL: idjester
Something you might also want to consider -- one of your race goals is to be at war "the most" and with that other war that has been raging on for several sessions you might want to consider thinking about jumping into a war sometime so you can get that race bonus.

You're right about that. :) By nature I tend to play games cautiously and to attack when I'm 90% sure I can win - which is not a great strategy when TIME AT WAR is an objective.

quote:

ORIGINAL: idjester
PS, not sure how much I like the new patch. Certainly does add somethings but not everything in the update seams to work properly. I think there was probably about 20 other things I would of added before the stuff the new update added but I need a rundown on all of the new features. When your playing though your next video could you announce anything you "use or see" that is from new (from the update) so we know for sure. Thanks....

I've actually been trying to show the new things a little such as the Design screen - but I'm not really sure how much of it is supposed to work. It certainly helps a lot now but it doesn't do everything we would have wanted I guess.

I'm going to start recording Episode 5 in a few minutes and plan on getting more aggressive. :)

(in reply to idjester)
Post #: 5
RE: Let's play video: For the Hive! - 2/7/2012 6:48:35 PM   
Das123

Episode 5 loaded...

(in reply to Das123)
Post #: 6
RE: Let's play video: For the Hive! - 2/7/2012 8:36:08 PM   
idjester

Going to watch it now.... can't wait.

(in reply to Das123)
Post #: 7
RE: Let's play video: For the Hive! - 2/7/2012 9:57:15 PM   
Das123

Episode 6 uploaded now as well. :) This one has a lot more action than the others.

(in reply to idjester)
Post #: 8
RE: Let's play video: For the Hive! - 2/8/2012 12:39:16 AM   
idjester

Back to back.... Nice

Looks like blue is attacking your southeast planet as well.... The easy days are over for awhile but I am confident you will prevail.

Keep them coming!!!!!

(in reply to Das123)
Post #: 9
RE: Let's play video: For the Hive! - 2/8/2012 6:25:16 PM   
Das123

Episode 7 uploaded and that is the last of them (we get the game victory).

Idjester, you were 100% right. This video starts with an attack on that system by the Kaidians. :)

(in reply to idjester)
Post #: 10
RE: Let's play video: For the Hive! - 2/8/2012 8:35:04 PM   
idjester

Hey Mate.... Your "click here" button for episode 7 actually links to episode 6 instead, figured I would let you know while I saw yout status is online....

< Message edited by idjester -- 2/8/2012 8:40:05 PM >

(in reply to Das123)
Post #: 11
RE: Let's play video: For the Hive! - 2/8/2012 9:43:35 PM   
Das123

Cheers for the 'heads-up'. Corrected now.

(in reply to idjester)
Post #: 12
RE: Let's play video: For the Hive! - 2/9/2012 6:32:35 AM   
radwyn

Thanks Das123 you videos are very helpful to new players not only are they entertaining they are informative. I specially like when you comment on what keys/mouse buttons you are using to do various things.

(in reply to Das123)
Post #: 13
RE: Let's play video: For the Hive! - 2/9/2012 1:37:50 PM   
Morelyn

Watching these now after playing for several days and I'm finding lots of little tips and things I'd overlooked previously.

Very helpful indeed for a newbie.

(in reply to radwyn)
Post #: 14
RE: Let's play video: For the Hive! - 2/9/2012 3:08:26 PM   
Evrett

Your voice is so beautiful and relaxing! I love listening to your Lets plays! In video 4 where you have the ship flying off to no where at the corner of the map you should consider doing a bug report for that..also maybe post a suggestion about the ship screen remembering what you searched for last

I never knew about the fuel symbol heh thanks for that. Since you dont have those cap ships in your main fleet are you getting the bonus' from them?

< Message edited by Evrett -- 2/9/2012 3:28:14 PM >

"The nine most terrifying words in the English language are: 'I'm from the government and I'm here to help.'" - Ronald Reagan

(in reply to Morelyn)
Post #: 15
RE: Let's play video: For the Hive! - 2/15/2012 3:06:13 AM   
Evrett

I liked your Fallen Echantress beta video too! More Pls!!!

"The nine most terrifying words in the English language are: 'I'm from the government and I'm here to help.'" - Ronald Reagan

(in reply to Evrett)
Post #: 16
RE: Let's play video: For the Hive! - 2/16/2012 12:38:42 PM   
Bingeling

Good fun to watch, even if it took a while. Random observations.

• Not having played this version (or much legends at all), but I guess the "automatic upgrade" in the design list may make the AI switch around to latest version of components, and maybe even add the missing bits. It is hard to know without trying it, though. But this was like the old button worked, no?
  • It is probably hard to play the game for an audience, as you don't want to click around too much, but it was fun to see the nax fleet damage a pirate using rail guns, and you being surprised at them having rail guns when you met them. Actually seeing that it was the nax fleet and not a giant pirate fleet was hard on my screen, the nax outline was very little visible. Maybe switch around colors when making these to more clear ones?
  • The upgraded mining bases made life relaxed. A good thing while making lets play, as micro management is avoided.
  • Lucky start position. Quite alone, and the others were rather close, with zones of control even interfering between capitals. Also the rare supply hardly hurt. And pirates seemed far away at the start.
  • You build a lot of troops, which is probably a good thing for defense. It is really hard to stop attacking fleets in legends. The AI attacks hard. In my single legends game, I was ahead in tech and power. And even a medium space port with 4 defensive bases, and my 20 ship cruiser fleet, could not prevent a few troops from landing when the AI attacked. Nothing that could threaten the colony, though. And that was with a high power fleet specifically hunting troop transports...
  • For one so happy to build troops, it was pretty cool to see you not building more when the Sluken colony was invaded. Not that it was needed.
  • That attack by the Talos was actually warned about just after their war declaration. But you were busy hunting Froggy bases in that home system. Incoming fleet to colony, and explorer being chased by space slug, could benefit from different levels of warning. The first one could even warrant a popup message with the game auto pausing.
  • Another demonstration of the annoyance of counting enemy troops when there are lots of them. How many? Lots. Where lots means somewhere between 40 and 300.
  • That bombardment worked wonders. You may even stop a bit earlier, as they get weakened. And maybe save some of the reputation?
  • Partial manual design seems really fun now, rather than being a chore. I think there was also a couple of new buttons to move 5 pieces of equipment at once, which helps when upgrading the quantity items to new model...

< Message edited by Bingeling -- 2/16/2012 12:57:44 PM >

(in reply to Evrett)
Post #: 17
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds Series >> After Action Reports >> Let's play video: For the Hive! Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI