Matrix Games Forums

Space Program Manager gets mini-site and Twitch SessionBuzz Aldrin: Ask Me Anything (AMA) on redditDeal of the week Fantasy Kommander: Eukarion WarsSpace Program Manager Launch Contest Announced!Battle Academy 2 is out now on iPad!A closer look at rockets in Space Program ManagerDeal of the Week - Pride of NationsA new update for Piercing Fortress EuropaNew screenshots for War in the West!Pike & Shot is now available!
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: seriously stupid at the Super B

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> RE: seriously stupid at the Super B Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: seriously stupid at the Super B - 2/6/2012 7:33:34 PM   
warspite1

Steiner, in Ambroses' 1954 ground breaking expose on rubbish games: Rubbish Games America Invented But The World Didn't Want, Ambrose forcefully made the case, and ultimately proved beyond doubt, that BPB only took hold in America because your average American needed something, anything, to take their minds off the mind numbing tedium that is Baseball, American Football and the other one......er...basketball. Fact - cos Ambrose said so - so there, ya boo sucks to you matey.

England expects that every man will do his duty - Horatio Nelson 1805.

(in reply to parusski)
Post #: 31
RE: seriously stupid at the Super B - 2/6/2012 7:36:29 PM   
Orm

quote:

ORIGINAL: warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: Orm

So were the game any good?

I tried to watch but I fell asleep after the first quarter. Woke up just as the half time break began. Fell asleep almost at once. Woke up about two minutes after the game ended. Go figure.

Why can't you Americans have the Super Bowl at a decent time of day.
Warspite1

Orm, you falling asleep has nothing to do with the time of day the SuperBowl was screened. If it was shown first thing in the morning after you had just had 10 hours sleep, you would still have nodded off as soon as the game started. Try watching proper football

I tend to sleep very well when watching English football.

"It would seem that you have no useful skill or talent whatsoever," he said.
"Have you thought of going into teaching?"

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 32
RE: seriously stupid at the Super B - 2/6/2012 7:40:03 PM   
warspite1

Oh dear - that is serious; you fall asleep watching Football AND American Football. Orm, you are definitely a bloke aren't you?

(in reply to Orm)
Post #: 33
RE: seriously stupid at the Super B - 2/6/2012 7:44:10 PM   
parusski

quote:

Steiner, in Ambroses' 1954 ground breaking expose on rubbish games: Rubbish Games America Invented But The World Didn't Want, Ambrose forcefully made the case, and ultimately proved beyond doubt, that BPB only took hold in America because your average American needed something, anything, to take their minds off the mind numbing tedium that is Baseball, American Football and the other one......er...basketball. Fact - cos Ambrose said so - so there, ya boo sucks to you matey.

OOOOOHHHH. You just put me in my place - NOT.

As Ambrose wrote in The True History of the World's Gayest Sport - Soccer, "Soccer didn’t always suck. About a thousand years ago, natives on the American continent played a sport that was prophetically named pasuckuakohowog–we’re not making this up–which featured teams of up to 500 people apiece playing on fields one mile long. Players kicked balls toward a goal just as they do in modern soccer. Unlike modern soccer, however, they wore warpaint and committed atrocities upon their opponents, using weapons and breaking bones as a matter of routine. Whatever your feelings were about atrocities, there was one thing you had to admit about pasuckuakohowog: it was interesting to watch. Something happened during the games.

For scientific purposes, I tried to watch the Austria-Cameroon match last weekend. At halftime, the two teams were locked in a fierce 0-0 tie. I shut it off and spent the rest of the night staring out my window.

The following day, Bulgaria and Paraguay played to a thrilling 0-0 tie. Belgium and the Netherlands followed up the next night by renewing their heated rivalry in exhilarating goalless fashion

"I hate newspapermen. They come into camp and pick up their camp rumors and print them as facts. I regard them as spies, which, in truth, they are. If I killed them all there would be news from Hell before breakfast."- W.T. Sherman

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 34
RE: seriously stupid at the Super B - 2/6/2012 7:46:57 PM   
warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: Max 86

Never cared for Madonna much. Nice voice but her style is both infantile and vulgar. .
Warspite1

Excellent summary Max 86. Her voice is very nice, if a little weak - she couldn't do justice to the old Wembley stadium for example. I know nothing about her anti-Americanism but if Steiner is not happy, then I'm not happy

Do you want me to have a word next time she visits Englansville Steiner?

(in reply to Max 86)
Post #: 35
RE: seriously stupid at the Super B - 2/6/2012 7:48:47 PM   
parusski

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Max 86

Never cared for Madonna much. Nice voice but her style is both infantile and vulgar. .
Warspite1

Excellent summary Max 86. Her voice is very nice, if a little weak - she couldn't do justice to the old Wembley stadium for example. I know nothing about her anti-Americanism but if Steiner is not happy, then I'm not happy

Do you want me to have a word next time she visits Englansville Steiner?

Yeah, tell her to get the damned hell outta Uttoxeter on a damn fast plan. Tell her to live in Liberia.

"I hate newspapermen. They come into camp and pick up their camp rumors and print them as facts. I regard them as spies, which, in truth, they are. If I killed them all there would be news from Hell before breakfast."- W.T. Sherman

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 36
RE: seriously stupid at the Super B - 2/6/2012 7:54:22 PM   
Orm

quote:

Oh dear - that is serious; you fall asleep watching Football AND American Football. Orm, you are definitely a bloke aren't you?

It is a side effect from watching English football when I was growing up. Thew only football shown on TV back then was one English match per week so since I wanted to see more football I eagerly sat down and begun to watch the match. And most often they didn't play on grass. Instead they played on a muddy field. And they kicked long balls at every oportunity. And run. And tackled. And run more. Just kicking the ball as far upfield as you can do not make a football game in my book. Hence I fell asleep. I would probably have stayed awake if they had picked some interesting teams to show for the weekly match. Bah!

Nowdays, most premier league matches are fun to watch. Fast paced games and good ball control. Fun.

Note that football from southern Europe, back then, were not that fun either. Huge difference from what it is today.

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 37
RE: seriously stupid at the Super B - 2/6/2012 7:57:01 PM   
warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: parusski

quote:

Steiner, in Ambroses' 1954 ground breaking expose on rubbish games: Rubbish Games America Invented But The World Didn't Want, Ambrose forcefully made the case, and
ultimately proved beyond doubt, that BPB only took hold in America because your average American needed something, anything, to take their minds off the mind numbing tedium that is Baseball, American Football and the other one......er...basketball. Fact - cos Ambrose said so - so there, ya boo sucks to you matey.

OOOOOHHHH. You just put me in my place - NOT.

As Ambrose wrote in The True History of the World's Gayest Sport - Soccer, "Soccer didn’t always suck. About a thousand years ago, natives on the American continent played a sport that was prophetically named pasuckuakohowog–we’re not making this up–which featured teams of up to 500 people apiece playing on fields one mile long. Players kicked balls toward a goal just as they do in modern soccer. Unlike modern soccer, however, they wore warpaint and committed atrocities upon their opponents, using weapons and breaking bones as a matter of routine. Whatever your feelings were about atrocities, there was one thing you had to admit about pasuckuakohowog: it was interesting to watch. Something happened during the games.

For scientific purposes, I tried to watch the Austria-Cameroon match last weekend. At halftime, the two teams were locked in a fierce 0-0 tie. I shut it off and spent the rest of the night staring out my window.

The following day, Bulgaria and Paraguay played to a thrilling 0-0 tie. Belgium and the Netherlands followed up the next night by renewing their heated rivalry in exhilarating goalless fashion

Warspite1

Steiner, a game DOES NOT have to end 114-60 for it to be exciting. A game can be 0-0 and still be thrilling; witness the famous Austria-Cameroon match alluded to earlier. That was perhaps the greatest game I have ever seen! The greatest weekend in the English Premiership was that of 11th/12th October 1995 when all 10 games ended 0-0.
Fantastic.

(in reply to parusski)
Post #: 38
RE: seriously stupid at the Super B - 2/6/2012 8:01:33 PM   
parusski

quote:

Warspite1

Steiner, a game DOES NOT have to end 114-60 for it to be exciting. A game can be 0-0 and still be thrilling; witness the famous Austria-Cameroon match alluded to earlier. That was perhaps the greatest game I have ever seen! The greatest weekend in the English Premiership was that of 11th/12th October 1995 when all 10 games ended 0-0.
Fantastic.

Holy Sh*t. That has to be the most exciting thing I have ever heard of. I can just imagine watching 10 games that...zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 39
RE: seriously stupid at the Super B - 2/6/2012 9:13:09 PM   
freeboy

suprised that you have not mentioned grass growing yet

(in reply to parusski)
Post #: 40
RE: seriously stupid at the Super B - 2/6/2012 9:28:37 PM   
parusski

quote:

ORIGINAL: freeboy

suprised that you have not mentioned grass growing yet

Don't underestimate me. I was about to mention:

watching those 10, or any, soccer games is like watching grass growing and paint dryi...zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

(in reply to freeboy)
Post #: 41
RE: seriously stupid at the Super B - 2/6/2012 9:33:13 PM   
freeboy

thats kinda how I feel about golf...
different strokes...
Hockey on the other hand... awesome, game gets slow.. doubtless someones dropping the gloves for a little sanctioned ice boxing
too bad my team sux so badly...

(in reply to parusski)
Post #: 42
RE: seriously stupid at the Super B - 2/6/2012 9:39:30 PM   
parusski

quote:

ORIGINAL: freeboy

thats kinda how I feel about golf...
different strokes...
Hockey on the other hand... awesome, game gets slow.. doubtless someones dropping the gloves for a little sanctioned ice boxing
too bad my team sux so badly...

Feel the same way. But the point here is to make a point to those crazy soccer fans, well, really warspite1.

Once again we turn to Ambrose, who wrote in The True History of the World's Gayest Sport - Soccer,:

"there are dozens of competitive sports, ranging from basketball to tennis to volleyball, even to team handball or chess or even checkers, for God’s sake, where artistry is an ample visual substitute for force. But all of those sports have one thing in common: something happens during the games"

(in reply to freeboy)
Post #: 43
RE: seriously stupid at the Super B - 2/6/2012 9:40:34 PM   
warspite1

quote:

quote:

Warspite1

Fantastic.

Holy Sh*t. That has to be the most exciting thing I have ever heard of. I can just imagine watching 10 games that...zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
Warspite1

I guess nothing reflects the gulf in what each side of the pond prefer i.e. Americans liking for high scoring games complete with razzamatazz, and Europeans preferring the subtle nuances of a game, regardless of ultimate scoreline, than the events that followed the 1953 FA Cup Final.

That year, the supporters of Blackpool and Bolton Wanderers descended on Wembley Stadium from their homes in the northwest of England, looking forward expectantly to the contest.

What were they greeted with? A tight, cat and mouse contest in which one goal separated the two teams? No, not at all. Instead, after the Wanderers took a 3-1 lead, Blackpool fought back to win 4-3. A seven goal thriller, a game that twisted and turned like a twisty, turny thing was what it was.

Were the crowd happy? No. there were riots and skirmishes both inside and outside the ground. Both sets of fans were desperately unhappy to see so many goals conceded in such sloppy fashion. Indeed, the Football Association were considering making a rule that in future, only one goal could be scored in a final and both Bolton and Blackpool were threatened with censure.

Speaking at the enquiry into the debacle, Justice Ambrose said "This was a most unsavoury affair, both teams were playing like they were on Peanut Brittle. This is not the Goldfish bowl or whatever our American cousins call there little shindig - THIS IS THE FA CUP FINAL. Shameful".

(in reply to parusski)
Post #: 44
RE: seriously stupid at the Super B - 2/6/2012 9:45:03 PM   
parusski

quote:

Were the crowd happy? No. there were riots and skirmishes both inside and outside the ground. Both sets of fans were desperately unhappy to see so many goals conceded in such sloppy fashion. Indeed, the Football Association were considering making a rule that in future, only one goal could be scored in a final and both Bolton and Blackpool were threatened with censure.

See my post #43

I can approve rioting, but as for the rest of what you wrote - are you trying to actually kill me?? How can someone with your great wit, wonderful writing ability and quick brain be so, so, so...

(in reply to parusski)
Post #: 45
RE: seriously stupid at the Super B - 2/6/2012 9:52:48 PM   
warspite1

quote:

quote:

See my post #43

I can approve rioting, but as for the rest of what you wrote - are you trying to actually kill me?? How can someone with your great wit, wonderful writing ability and quick brain be so, so, so...
Warspite1

No, I am not trying to kill you, I just have no idea what I am talking about

(in reply to parusski)
Post #: 46
RE: seriously stupid at the Super B - 2/6/2012 9:54:57 PM   
parusski

quote:

quote:

quote:

See my post #43

Warspite1

Finally, one of us broke down and admitted the truth. LOL.

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 47
RE: seriously stupid at the Super B - 2/6/2012 9:59:31 PM   
warspite1

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

See my post #43

Warspite1

Finally, one of us broke down and admitted the truth. LOL.
Warspite1

Mrs Warspite is a good judge in these situations, and as she often says to me:

Warspite you are a complete t***er.

(in reply to parusski)
Post #: 48
RE: seriously stupid at the Super B - 2/6/2012 10:05:30 PM   
parusski

quote:

I have to believe she says topper.

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 49
RE: seriously stupid at the Super B - 2/6/2012 10:09:18 PM   
warspite1

quote:

quote:

Warspite1

Yes, I like to believe that too, but when you hear the malice in her voice, the venom in her delivery and the anger on her face, you know...

(in reply to parusski)
Post #: 50
RE: seriously stupid at the Super B - 2/6/2012 10:10:58 PM   
parusski

quote:

quote:

quote:

Warspite1

Yes, I like to believe that too, but when you hear the malice in her voice, the venom in her delivery and the anger on her face, you know...

Yeah, I know. I get the same attitude from Brunhilda Steiner.

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 51
RE: seriously stupid at the Super B - 2/7/2012 8:58:06 AM   
Orm

Watched some real football. Liverpool versus Tottenham. And the game ended in a 0-0 draw. But do not let that fool you. A lot of things made this game fun to watch. The cat might have been the most exciting thing during the match. And Suarez seems to do a lot of things except to play football. How that could not have been a red card eludes me.

The cat: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZGh0AV1eeY4

Suarez kick: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9hxQhMKIe4I

See! Alot of stuff happens in proper football.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Orm -- 2/7/2012 9:02:40 AM >

(in reply to parusski)
Post #: 52
RE: seriously stupid at the Super B - 2/7/2012 8:04:02 PM   
warspite1

quote:

Watched some real football. Liverpool versus Tottenham. And the game ended in a 0-0 draw. But do not let that fool you. A lot of things made this game fun to watch. The cat might have been the most exciting thing during the match. And Suarez seems to do a lot of things except to play football. How that could not have been a red card eludes me.

Warspite1

Not a classic by any means, but enthralling if you support Liverpool or Spurs. I thought Suarez was a very lucky boy to stay on for that kick at poor Scotty P (he really takes some punishment) - mind you - so was a strangely out of sorts Gareth Bale, who could easily have walked for pushing Agger.

(in reply to Orm)
Post #: 53
RE: seriously stupid at the Super B - 2/7/2012 8:07:40 PM   
parusski

quote:

quote:

Warspite1

Not a classic by any means, but enthralling if you support Liverpool or Spurs. I thought Suarez was a very lucky boy to stay on for that kick at poor Scotty P (he really takes some punishment) - mind you - so was a strangely out of sorts Gareth Bale, who could easily have walked for pushing Agger.

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 54
RE: seriously stupid at the Super B - 2/18/2012 7:59:02 AM   
warspite1

quote:

quote:

quote:

Warspite1

Warspite1

FA Cup 5th Round this weekend Are you looking forward to it Steiner? Who is your tip for the cup this year?

I think we should invite people to guess the scores and see who gets the most right. 1 point for the correct result and 3 for a correct score.

Here's my guesses:

1 Liverpool v Brighton & Hove Albion 2-0
2 Everton v Blackpool 1-0
3 Chelsea v Birmingham City 3-1
4 Crawley Town v Stoke City 1-2
5 Stevenage v Tottenham Hotspur 1-1
6 Norwich City v Leicester City 3-0
7 Sunderland v Arsenal 0-0
8 Millwall v Bolton Wanderers 2-2

(in reply to parusski)
Post #: 55
RE: seriously stupid at the Super B - 2/18/2012 7:46:10 PM   
warspite1

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Warspite1

Warspite1

FA Cup 5th Round this weekend Are you looking forward to it Steiner? Who is your tip for the cup this year?

I think we should invite people to guess the scores and see who gets the most right. 1 point for the correct result and 3 for a correct score.

Here's my guesses:

Warspite1

Well with five games gone and three to go, its a good job no one played along with this. Out of a maximum 15 points I have precisely 1 point. Still, that's 1 more than anyone else - hussah!

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 56
RE: seriously stupid at the Super B - 2/18/2012 9:31:00 PM   
freeboy

pix above giving new meaning to the term "Free Kick" lol

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 57
RE: seriously stupid at the Super B - 2/18/2012 11:18:34 PM   
Orm

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Warspite1

Warspite1

Here's my guesses:

Warspite1

Well with five games gone and three to go, its a good job no one played along with this. Out of a maximum 15 points I have precisely 1 point. Still, that's 1 more than anyone else - hussah!

I was going to play along. I was just going to make a cup of tea first. Then things I needed to do just kept on comming. 14 hours or so later I am ready to continue with my originally planned day. A cup of tea and plazing my scores. Bah!

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 58
RE: seriously stupid at the Super B - 2/19/2012 8:42:17 AM   
warspite1

Orm - is this the real reason you missed the Superbowl?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-17088173

(in reply to Orm)
Post #: 59
RE: seriously stupid at the Super B - 2/19/2012 3:59:32 PM   
parusski

quote:

Are you looking forward to it Steiner? Who is your tip for the cup this year?

I am looking forward to it as much as I would a sharpened pencil through my right eye.

Tip? It helps if all your players have two legs. No charge for that advice.

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 60
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> RE: seriously stupid at the Super B Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI