Matrix Games Forums

War in the West gets its first update!Flashpoint Campaigns: Red Storm version 2.08 is now available!Command gets huge update!Order of Battle: Pacific Featured on Weekly Streaming SessionA new fight for Battle Academy!Buzz Aldrin's Space Program Manager is out for Mac!The definitive wargame of the Western Front is out now! War in the West gets teaser trailer and Twitch Stream!New Preview AAR for War in the West!War in the West Manual preview
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Betrayal: The story of a Vlasov's Second Shock Army

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> Betrayal: The story of a Vlasov's Second Shock Army Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Betrayal: The story of a Vlasov's Second Shock Army - 2/5/2012 10:09:59 PM   
schmolywar

Off topic ish, but I think people in here will find the full subtitled documentary "Vlasov's Second Shock Army" interesting:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dijJxq04s5w&feature=g-all-u&context=G26d4a0fFAAAAAAAASAA

They introduce Voroshilov about three times in there (check the youtube comments for the times) and each time its gets funnier.

I want the same musical score whenever I change a general ingame!

There also the doc "Rzhev: General Zhukov's Unknown Battle" available from the same uploader:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ur83MLafhlU&feature=relmfu

< Message edited by schmolywar -- 2/6/2012 2:53:57 AM >

"The Russian advance over this hastily improvised road, constructed with the aid of the most primitive facilities, was, for a time,accompanied by the strains of band music.".

-Peculiarities of russian warfare
Post #: 1
RE: Betrayal: The story of a Vlasov's Second Shock Army - 2/6/2012 1:57:17 AM   
DorianGray

Pretty interesting. Is almost like STAVKA had a throw-away mentality in regards to supplying their own formations as in, once their formations are put into the field, little or no effort went into delivery of supplies. Made references through-out how much better supplied German formations were even as far as misquito netting.

(in reply to schmolywar)
Post #: 2
RE: Betrayal: The story of a Vlasov's Second Shock Army - 2/6/2012 2:14:09 AM   
schmolywar

I suspect this throw away mentality is somewhat ingrained in russian military culture, even today. The new years assault of Grozny in 94 comes to mind. Pavel Grachev can be likened to the STAVKA mentality of the past with his promise to swiftly crush the Chechen separatist forces "in a couple of hours with a single airborne regiment."

He was rumoured to launch the disastrous storming of Grozny while drunk during the celebrations of his January 1 birthday.[5] As TIME commented in 1995: "Grachev had remarked recently that only an 'incompetent commander' would order tanks into the streets of central Grozny, where they would be vulnerable (...) Yet at the end of December he did it."[6] Eventually, in July 1996, Yeltsin sacked the disgraced Grachev following his 1996 re-election. The war soon ended in a Russian defeat, with hundreds of thousands of military and civilian casualties.

I guess history repeats itself. Here we again see incompetent commanders and the higher leadership looking for scapegoats. Disgraced generals were dime a dozen during the chechen wars.

< Message edited by schmolywar -- 2/6/2012 2:19:53 AM >

"The Russian advance over this hastily improvised road, constructed with the aid of the most primitive facilities, was, for a time,accompanied by the strains of band music.".

-Peculiarities of russian warfare

(in reply to DorianGray)
Post #: 3
RE: Betrayal: The story of a Vlasov's Second Shock Army - 2/6/2012 2:39:35 AM   
wulfgar

quote:

ORIGINAL: schmolywar

They introduce Voroshilov about three times in there (check the youtube comments for the times) and each time its gets funnier.

I want a the same musical score whenever I change a general ingame!

Sounds like this one.
Farewell of Slavianka

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wOYmRKmMUa4&feature=related

(in reply to schmolywar)
Post #: 4
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> Betrayal: The story of a Vlasov's Second Shock Army Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI