Lvov Pocket Gambit Done In?

Gary Grigsby’s War in the East: The German-Soviet War 1941-1945 is a turn-based World War II strategy game stretching across the entire Eastern Front. Gamers can engage in an epic campaign, including division-sized battles with realistic and historical terrain, weather, orders of battle, logistics and combat results.

The critically and fan-acclaimed Eastern Front mega-game Gary Grigsby’s War in the East just got bigger and better with Gary Grigsby’s War in the East: Don to the Danube! This expansion to the award-winning War in the East comes with a wide array of later war scenarios ranging from short but intense 6 turn bouts like the Battle for Kharkov (1942) to immense 37-turn engagements taking place across multiple nations like Drama on the Danube (Summer 1944 – Spring 1945).

Moderators: Joel Billings, elmo3, Sabre21

mmarquo

Lvov Pocket Gambit Done In?

Post by mmarquo »

I just started to check out the newest patch; and unless my memory is completely shot, it appears as if the 25th and 16 MTZ Divisions are now fixed, which effectively does in the Lvov pocket...or am I hallucinating?

And...I waas only able to destory 2,000 Soviet aircraft on the ground (down from ~ 3,600 before).

Well done [:)]
Encircled

RE: Lvov Pocket Gambit Done In?

Post by Encircled »

Its a Soviet Fan Boy patch remember

Wait till you see that the Tiger Tank has been replaced by bicycle recon units[;)]

In all seriousness, you'd thought somebody might have mentioned that as its quite important......
Flaviusx

Post by Flaviusx »

Huh? I just started a new game against Baelfin and he did a Lvov pocket just fine.

Aircraft losses on the surprise turn were surprisingly low, though. Right around the same 2k you're reporting. Wasn't expecting that.
WitE Alpha Tester
JAMiAM

Post by JAMiAM »

Marquo, you are indeed, hallucinating. Those two Motorized Divisions have always been frozen on turn 1. They, along with the rest of PG 1, activate on turn 2.
Farfarer61

Post by Farfarer61 »

Yup, but see the paranoia that's out there now... :)
Cerion

Post by Cerion »

And...I waas only able to destory 2,000 Soviet aircraft on the ground (down from ~ 3,600 before).

Same for me (2,190 already).

Regards
mmarquo

Post by mmarquo »

No - something is not right? There are only now only 4 armored divisions from the 1st Panzer Group with are mobile on T1; the 24th Pz Corps releases on T2 - I think this is different. Perhaps the pocket can be done if the 24th Pz Corps from AGC is diverted south....are you guys sure??????

[X(]
OTZ

Post by OTZ »

Panzers are fine, air losses on T1 are markedly lower.
mmarquo

Post by mmarquo »

Okay, I'm just paranoid - but still.....
JAMiAM

Post by JAMiAM »

ORIGINAL: Marquo

No - something is not right? There are only now only 4 armored divisions from the 1st Panzer Group with are mobile on T1;
Same as it ever was...

the 24th Pz Corps releases on T2 - I think this is different.
You mean the 14th (XIV) Pz Korps, don't you? That was always frozen on turn 1.

Perhaps the pocket can be done if the 24th Pz Corps from AGC is diverted south....are you guys sure??????
I generally use the XXXXVI Pz Korps from PG 2 to assist. Also, some of the infantry and the cavalry from XXIV Pz Korps. But, yeah...I'm sure...[;)]
Michael T

Post by Michael T »

Marquo what ever you do don't elaborate on my version of the Lvov pocket. Or poor old Flav will have a fit.
mmarquo

Post by mmarquo »

Michael,

With time and the perspective of many PBEMS, AARs, and history, it seems that the the Lvov pocket as it plays out in WITE, sets the stage for a domino effect which has resulted in deep introspection; this introspection has resulted in many good patches and updates; but IMHO the fundamental issue of supply has not really been addressed.

My opinion (FWIW): revisit the logistical rules and the Lvov pocket.

Marquo [:)]
Michael T

Post by Michael T »

As usual Marquo you offer a reasonable and well balanced view.
parusski

Post by parusski »

I just started to check out the newest patch; and unless my memory is completely shot, it appears as if the 25th and 16 MTZ Divisions are now fixed, which effectively does in the Lvov pocket...or am I hallucinating?

Well done [:)]

I can't comment about the Lvov Pocket, but I have started 4 games just to bomb Russian airfields and the most Soviet aircraft I have destroyed is 2122.
"I hate newspapermen. They come into camp and pick up their camp rumors and print them as facts. I regard them as spies, which, in truth, they are. If I killed them all there would be news from Hell before breakfast."- W.T. Sherman
kevini1000

Post by kevini1000 »

Yeah I expected the number would shrink after the earlier patch. They went from 50% to 33% for planes hitting airfields even on turn 1. It shold have been left at 50% for turn 1.

parusski

Post by parusski »

ORIGINAL: sath

Yeah I expected the number would shrink after the earlier patch. They went from 50% to 33% for planes hitting airfields even on turn 1. It shold have been left at 50% for turn 1.

I agree. At first I thought I was dreaming when the number of commie air planes I destroyed fell by about 60%.
"I hate newspapermen. They come into camp and pick up their camp rumors and print them as facts. I regard them as spies, which, in truth, they are. If I killed them all there would be news from Hell before breakfast."- W.T. Sherman
Denniss

Post by Denniss »

Pavel made some changes to the air combat model so aircraft would not use drop tanks to kill enemy ground units, tac bombers would not use their defensive guns (only forward) or level bombers would not use any guns at all (they are assumed to be bombing from high above, out of effective range of their guns).
This may have influenced the aircraft bombing results.
Remember how surprising it was for an infantry squad to be killed when an aircraft drop tank fell onto their head(s).
WitE dev team - (aircraft data)
WitE 1.08+ dev team (data/scenario maintainer)
WitW dev team (aircraft data, partial data/scenario maintainer)
WitE2 dev team (aircraft data)
Baron von Beer

Post by Baron von Beer »

Question is, is it too little now? Seems ~2-4,000 losses in the opening days is the most common figure in books etc, but that was accomplished by a Luftwaffe that was also flying CAS, interdiction, etc. In game, the player must commit 100% of his air missions to airfield strikes just to reach the low end of those numbers.
Baron von Beer

Post by Baron von Beer »

*oops, didn't mean to post again, please delete
Helpless

Post by Helpless »

the player must commit 100% of his air missions to airfield strikes

it is physically impossible.
Pavel Zagzin
WITE/WITW/WITE-2 Development

Return to “Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series”