Matrix Games Forums

War in the West gets its first update!Flashpoint Campaigns: Red Storm version 2.08 is now available!Command gets huge update!Order of Battle: Pacific Featured on Weekly Streaming SessionA new fight for Battle Academy!Buzz Aldrin's Space Program Manager is out for Mac!The definitive wargame of the Western Front is out now! War in the West gets teaser trailer and Twitch Stream!New Preview AAR for War in the West!War in the West Manual preview
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

WW1 mods?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> WW1 mods? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
WW1 mods? - 2/4/2012 1:52:11 PM   
Perturabo

Are there any?

Without social solidarity manifested in the form of welfare state, people inhabiting one territory are a non-nation of mortal enemies engaged in competition for survival.
Post #: 1
RE: WW1 mods? - 7/18/2012 8:47:33 AM   
mkr8683

Not for WaW.

A group has been around, for some time now, that has been working on a WW1 mod for the DOS version of SPWW2. As far as I can remember, they've been at it for well over a decade. Some beautiful icons were completed for it by Joe Reiger. I've tried to revitalize interest in it here and there, but nothing beyond an alpha has been completed.

I was farting around with a WW1 naval mod for WaW. I had set up several beta scenarios with capital ships, and had some serious fun. Submarines were modified caves, and torpedoes were modified ATGMs - oddly enough, they were still usable in this game. I was trying to get the earliest possible version so that I could use helicopters for aircraft, but don't think I was successful in finding the version that still had them. The naval units were actually modified AFVs, and I had simply swapped the water tiles for level terrain. I even changed the burning wreck graphics to show floating debris, oil fires, single pixels representing men in the water, and white rings representing foam from shell splashes.

Alas, the laptop I was using locked up, and the clowns who repaired it reformatted my hard drive without saving my data, even though I told them to save it. They told me they saved everything, but when I checked the single backups folder on my repaired laptop, all it contained were some pictures from Iraq and a JPEG of Panzer IVH camoflage schemes.

I had around thirty ship icons, wreck and weapons fire graphics, new nation flags, heavily modded OBs, and a new splash screen all completed. For nothing. Also lost in this manner was the Star Wars mod I had revitalized from my prior attempt when I was still in Iraq. The first SW mod was completed, but only covered the battle of Hoth. It was on a thumb drive that somehow got lost when I redeployed home. I started over the year before last, though, because all of the menus and some of the icons were still on my MediaFire account. That all got erased by those clowns.

After having lost 99% of my work on three mod attempts, I splurged on an external HDD. I have all of my art, backgrounds, OBs, references, modded .exes, .pic files, my program, file, and art editing programs, you name it, all on that HDD. In fact I work entirely from it, and save my work directly to it. It was a hell of a lesson learned. So when my other laptop crashed in March (immediately after patching Panzer Corps to the latest version, hmm..), right before my baby was born, my mod files were totally unaffected. Besides not having been worked on because I don't have the money to sink into the computer when formula and diapers are so expensive.

Maybe one day I'll attempt that naval mod again. These days I'm working mainly in winSPWW2, though. But, there are still things that draw me to WaW.

< Message edited by mkr8683 -- 7/18/2012 8:53:24 AM >

(in reply to Perturabo)
Post #: 2
RE: WW1 mods? - 7/29/2012 7:42:27 AM   
mkr8683

Update - got my laptop repaired. I'm baaack..

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by mkr8683 -- 7/29/2012 7:46:58 AM >

(in reply to mkr8683)
Post #: 3
RE: WW1 mods? - 7/30/2012 4:27:59 AM   
JEB Davis

Wow, that's a sad story!
You need to be backing that data up on DVDs or CDs or SOMETHING!
I recommend at least 2 extra copies, stored in separate places.

Is there any hope for the WWI mod?

Reduce unrealistic SP:WaW slaughter, "Low Carnage" (v8.403 or Enhanced):
Settings: 90S,80H,100RR,XXXTQ,110TT,150IT,180AvS,130AvA,150SOF / Command & Ctrl ON / AutoRally OFF
Visit the Enhanced forum at http://enhanced.freeforums.org

(in reply to mkr8683)
Post #: 4
RE: WW1 mods? - 7/30/2012 6:49:52 AM   
mkr8683

ABMF, Jeb!

quote:

ORIGINAL: JEB Davis
I recommend at least 2 extra copies, stored in separate places.

Like I said, I learned that lesson the hard way, which is why I work from my external HDD now. I've also considered a Carbonite account.

quote:

ORIGINAL: JEB Davis
Is there any hope for the WWI mod?

You mean the naval mod I was working on or the SPWW2 group?

Matt

(in reply to JEB Davis)
Post #: 5
RE: WW1 mods? - 8/1/2012 3:23:28 AM   
JEB Davis

No, I meant the one you lost... any hope of it ever being redone?
quote:

I was farting around with a WW1 naval mod for WaW.
quote:

Settings: 90S,80H,100RR,XXXTQ,110TT,150IT,180AvS,130AvA,150SOF / Command & Ctrl ON / AutoRally OFF

(in reply to mkr8683)
Post #: 6
RE: WW1 mods? - 8/1/2012 5:14:54 AM   
mkr8683

Oh, absolutely. I'm reluctant to say it, though, I miiight go to the Camo series with it.

(in reply to JEB Davis)
Post #: 7
RE: WW1 mods? - 8/2/2012 3:10:54 AM   
JEB Davis

In the end, ya gotta do what ya gotta do.

Just remember...

Get some rest... if you haven't got your health, you haven't got anything.

(in reply to mkr8683)
Post #: 8
RE: WW1 mods? - 8/3/2012 9:56:52 PM   
mkr8683

I'm all about balance, my friend

What are you working on these days, JEB?

(in reply to JEB Davis)
Post #: 9
RE: WW1 mods? - 8/9/2012 3:10:50 AM   
JEB Davis

Just playing a PBEM & playtesting a campaign for Major Destruction.
And wishing NotAToy would come back so we can get on with his campaign system.

(in reply to mkr8683)
Post #: 10
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> WW1 mods? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI