[WIP] Arcatus Actual Resources

Please post here for questions and discussion about scenario, art and sound modding and the game editor for Distant Worlds.

Moderators: Icemania, elliotg

Arcatus

[WIP] Arcatus Actual Resources

Post by Arcatus »

Arcatus Actual Resources

What is Caslon?
And how can fur from a Dantha be found on so many planets? Does Danthas ride spaceships? And how are carbon fibres just found?

This is now a Work In progress for DW:Universe upgrade. so it is not yet compatible with DW:U. Sortof. More on that in the thread below.

The goal of this mod is to change all resources in the game into something a bit more realistic.

Features
=======
1) Renames several resources to actual elements. All elements in the periodic table are represented. Common elements have their own resource, while uncommon are in new “Assorted” resources.
2) Many new icons to support the new resources.
3) Luxuries are more generalized. In a diverse galaxy luxury furs can be found on many different creatures, and not only on “Danthas”.

Some of the changes:

DW, DW:RotS, DW:L and DW:S is all supported.

-.vbs files automagically updates your Gametext file. No copy and paste required!
Though changes & instructions are still in the readme... If you don't trust a script from the internet

Also new: Optional game loading text - loading text now gives a brief history of the universal events pre-game. Spoiler alert if you have not already completed the original game!

Download version 1.3:
Attachments
Actual Resources 1.3.zip
(111.38 KiB) Downloaded 697 times
tjhkkr

RE: [REL] Arcatus Actual Resources

Post by tjhkkr »

Hey that's pretty cool...
I have been working so hard on character, I have not played with this yet... [:)]

Thank you!
Remember that the evil which is now in the world will become yet more powerful, and that it is not evil which conquers evil, but only love -- Olga Romanov.
Awaras

Post by Awaras »

Chromium is a real element, why change that? Also, why did you change gold to silicon?
Arcatus

Post by Arcatus »

ORIGINAL: Awaras

Chromium is a real element, why change that? Also, why did you change gold to silicon?

Aluminium has a lower atomic number, so in theory it should be more abundant - and in our society we use allot of it, so I wanted it included. Sorry Chromium.

Silicon (not included in the screen shot) is still there, but it is now very common (as it is in the known universe) and gold is rather rare - As it also is in the universe we observe today.

I have tried to be select resources with appropriate properties for the different components. Instead of crystals alkali and alkaline metals are implemented, so the crystals used in weapons can be manufactured and not simply found...
Awaras

Post by Awaras »

ORIGINAL: Arcatus
Silicon (not included in the screen shot) is still there, but it is now very common (as it is in the known universe) and gold is rather rare - As it also is in the universe we observe today.

Just because it is rare on Earth, does not mean it is rare everywhere. Almost all gold available to us on Earth came from asteroids that fell down a few billion years ago. There is a lot more gold in the asteroids then there is on Earth.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/sci/tech/401227.stm
In the 2,900 cubic kms of Eros, there is more aluminium, gold, silver, zinc and other base and precious metals than have ever been excavated in history or indeed, could ever be excavated from the upper layers of the Earth's crust.

That is just in one asteroid and not a very large one at that. There are thousands of asteroids out there.
Arcatus

Post by Arcatus »

Oh, sorry, I kinda messed up my last reply...

Gold is not included in the screen-shot, but it is still a resource in my mod, and as gold is allot less abundant than Silicon in the universe, I made some changes to reflect that...

Sure, other places in the universe will have allot more gold than we do on earth, but silicon will most likely always be more abundant than gold, even the asteroid in your example will (most likely) contain lots of Silicon Oxides - also known as quartz sand. [;)]

Awaras

Post by Awaras »

Ah I see now. Anyway, don't mind me, great work. :)
Igard

Post by Igard »

Nice work! [:)]
Awaras

Post by Awaras »

Installed your mod. Nice. You have two resources called "incense". Was that intentional?
Arcatus

Post by Arcatus »

ORIGINAL: Awaras

Installed your mod. Nice. You have two resources called "incense". Was that intentional?

Uh.. No.

Expect a bugfix shortly, Thanks :)
Arcatus

Post by Arcatus »

Updated. Renamed one of the incenses to perfume.

Now even the Haakoonish will smell nice [;)]
Quadro7F

Post by Quadro7F »

This is excellent mod, i really like the idea. But looks like the link is broken
Bleek

Post by Bleek »

Fix the link!
I've been beta testing myself for decades.
Arcatus

Post by Arcatus »

Ah, sorry about that.

The forum has changed since I originally uploaded the mod, so now larger files can be attached.

Version 1.2 is embedded in the first post [:)]

Changes since 1.1 is that aluminium and lithium have very different icons now - they looked kinda similar previously.
Fishers of Men

Post by Fishers of Men »

Thanks for the improvement.

FoM
Old............but very fast
jpinard

Post by jpinard »

As a brand new player, does this change gaemplay at all? Or just fixes the names? I love the fact you used the Period Table of Elements and named stuff realistically. The names in the game are just too abstract. Also, does this work with all the expansions?
unidterror

Post by unidterror »

I almost just downloaded and not say anything, =D my bad. really like this mod how many resources were added extra?
Keep up the good work.
Arcatus

Post by Arcatus »

ORIGINAL: jpinard

As a brand new player, does this change gaemplay at all? Or just fixes the names? I love the fact you used the Period Table of Elements and named stuff realistically. The names in the game are just too abstract. Also, does this work with all the expansions?

Gameplay is not changed. This only changes the names of the resources.

Yes, it should be compatible with all the expansions, but the exact lines in the config file (as described in the readme) changes a bit from version from version. It will make sense what you should overwrite, so I think you will figure it out :)

Let me know if it doesn't work out.
ORIGINAL: unidterror

I almost just downloaded and not say anything, =D my bad. really like this mod how many resources were added extra?
Keep up the good work.

None. This only replaces the names of existing ones.
Martian

Post by Martian »

to Arcatus

I agree with your point and like the idea of using real chemical elements.
I think it makes the gameplay more immersive.
Thank you very much for this mod.
Arcatus

Post by Arcatus »

Bump [:D]

I could not be bothered to update the gametext.txt again so I learnt some VBscript instead.

Yea, that makes perfect sense.

Anyway; Updated the mod with the new easy installer, and added a new optional change to the loading screen.

Feedback is most welcome :)

Return to “Design and Modding”