Matrix Games Forums

To End All Wars Releasing on Steam! Slitherine is recruiting: Programmers requiredPandora: Eclipse of Nashira gets release dateCommunity impressions of To End All WarsAgeod's To End All Wars is now availableTo End All Wars is now available!Deal of the Week: Field of GloryTo End All Wars: Video, AAR and Interview!Ageod's To End All Wars: Video, AAR and Interview!To End All Wars: Artillery
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

4.2" Hvy Mor Coys

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command Ops Series >> Mods and Scenarios >> 4.2" Hvy Mor Coys Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
4.2" Hvy Mor Coys - 2/1/2012 12:37:59 PM   
TMO

Just noticed that in British divisions, these units have a platoon sized estab despite being called companies. Presumably this is a mistake. A British infantry division was supported by a machine gun battalion comprising one heavy mortar company and three machine gun companies.

Regards

Tim

< Message edited by TMO -- 2/1/2012 5:16:43 PM >
Post #: 1
RE: 4.2" Hvy Mor Coys - 2/5/2012 6:55:40 PM   
TMO

Jorgea

No problem, thanks - in the game the machine guns have been incorporated into the infantry coys. The 4.2" hvy mor coys can either be assigned at div level as a whole coy or broken down and assigned as platoons at bde level - I prefer the latter.

Regards

Tim

< Message edited by TMO -- 2/5/2012 7:02:31 PM >
Post #: 2
RE: 4.2" Hvy Mor Coys - 2/6/2012 4:39:23 AM   
JeffK

I found a book (of cource I cant remember the title, wasnt Joslen)which showed the 1944 MG Bn had 4 support companies, each with 3 x MG platoons and 1 x 4.2" Mortar platoons.

Maybe the Devs took away the MG as mentioned but left the platoon structure for the Mortars.

Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum

(in reply to TMO)
Post #: 3
RE: 4.2" Hvy Mor Coys - 2/8/2012 2:28:38 AM   
mariandavid

Not quite - there were three MG companies - these were usually assigned one per brigade (and then often oe platoon per battalion) in normal cases. But could be massed for attack eg one each flank of the attacking brigades - or all grouped for pepperpots. In the fourth mortar company, the four platoons of heavy mortars were treated similarly - with one big BUT. When attacking they were paired to form a 'mini-company' of eight mortars and used as mortar counter-bombardment weapons. Note that they were not usually used for direct infantry support as the blast radius was large and the mortars lacked the precision of 25pdr guns. They were mich more useful as area suppression weapons best fired at about 4,000 yards.

(in reply to JeffK)
Post #: 4
RE: 4.2" Hvy Mor Coys - 2/8/2012 9:52:48 PM   
TMO

I think the standard doctrine was that when an infantry division was attacking with two brigades 'up', two 4.2" mortar platoons would support each brigade.

Regards

Tim

(in reply to mariandavid)
Post #: 5
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command Ops Series >> Mods and Scenarios >> 4.2" Hvy Mor Coys Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI