Matrix Games Forums

War in the West gets its first update!Flashpoint Campaigns: Red Storm version 2.08 is now available!Command gets huge update!Order of Battle: Pacific Featured on Weekly Streaming SessionA new fight for Battle Academy!Buzz Aldrin's Space Program Manager is out for Mac!The definitive wargame of the Western Front is out now! War in the West gets teaser trailer and Twitch Stream!New Preview AAR for War in the West!War in the West Manual preview
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

The Solar Nexus AAR

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds Series >> After Action Reports >> The Solar Nexus AAR Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
The Solar Nexus AAR - 2/1/2012 3:40:38 AM   
idjester

New AAR in which everyone is invited to participate.

All of the citizens of The Solar Nexus (you people) will vote on things your leader (me) will do in the game. Whichever side has the most votes, either yes or no, gets passes and I will then inact that vote into the empire. All votes count until such time as I start the next video (probably every day or at most two). So stop in every day and cast your vote to steer our empire to become the greatest in the galaxy. I will try and keep these videos to a 30-45 minute window so there isn't to much to watch between sessions.

Video 1 of The Solar Nexus is uploading now.

Up for vote:

1) Do we goto war with any of our known other races in the galaxy and if yes then whom?

2) Do we befriend any of the known races to try and become friends with them?

3) Do we build any millitary force up now in our empire, do we build millitary ships at present?

After setup and race overview for the beginning video we only got to play about 10 minutes of actually gameplay and you won't believe what has already happened. So much is packed into this short time. Look for a link to the video when it finishes uploading below....

The Solar Empire Part1

< Message edited by idjester -- 2/1/2012 12:52:13 PM >
Post #: 1
RE: The Solar Nexus AAR - 2/1/2012 3:38:22 PM   
Data

You're in full swing now, leader. I'm honored to start....casting

1) No

2) Yes and with all of them (I'm still MOO2 biased, befriend everyone and kill them later one at a time)

3) No, put every resource into booming the economy so that we can build a mighty armada later.....which comes too late for me, usually. But now it's your neck so...

...Igniting stellar cores....Recharging reactors...Recalibrating hyperdrives....

(in reply to idjester)
Post #: 2
RE: The Solar Nexus AAR - 2/1/2012 6:03:50 PM   
J HG T

Oooo... another AAR. Nice!
Looks interesting. I'll surely keep eye on this.
I think 3-5 questions per episode should work nicely. Just my two credits.

1) Nope. Build strength. Command & conquer later.

2) Maybe FTA and some tech/info trading, but nothing more serious. You are probably going to war with 'em sooner or later, being a proper Mortalen.

3) What Data said. Build economy and infrastructure. Dominate the Universe later.

Nothing is impossible, not if you can imagine it!
"And they hurled themselves into the void of space with no fear."

(in reply to Data)
Post #: 3
RE: The Solar Nexus AAR - 2/1/2012 6:33:38 PM   
Theluin

Great! Things are starting to liven up on the forums again.

1) Aye. We should build a fleet of 3 or so troop transports and conquer the Boskaran independent world. And perhaps also the small Zenox world down south.
2) Aye. We should form a pact with the gizurean but always keep forces ready to strike at them. Perhaps we may catch them off guard.
3) Aye. We should at least have those troop transports standing by in orbit ready to strike at the slightest hint of the enemy (By which, as any true Mortalen, I consider everyone) being unprepared.

The Mortalen are a nice race to play I always liked the aggressive troop intensive approach you could take playing them.

(in reply to J HG T)
Post #: 4
RE: The Solar Nexus AAR - 2/1/2012 7:55:17 PM   
idjester

Get your balets in.... The polls close soon and you'll want your vote to count.

So say we all!!!

(in reply to Theluin)
Post #: 5
RE: The Solar Nexus AAR - 2/1/2012 8:40:24 PM   
kirk23

Again loving another AAR this is truly a great game to play,with so many twists and turns to deal with brilliant.

1 = No aggression with anyone at this early stage in our development.

2 = Make friends and trade with everyone who will trade.

3 = Build some military defence around our CASLON supply vital!!!!

< Message edited by kirk23 -- 2/1/2012 8:42:12 PM >

Make it so!

(in reply to idjester)
Post #: 6
RE: The Solar Nexus AAR - 2/1/2012 9:38:18 PM   
idjester

The polls are closed..... New video uploading now..... If you missed your vote this time then make sure you come back everyday to cast your new vote for the direction that our empire will take. WE NEED YOU ---

Look for part 2 below when it finishes uploading.

The Solar Nexus Part2

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by idjester -- 2/2/2012 12:14:46 AM >

(in reply to kirk23)
Post #: 7
RE: The Solar Nexus AAR - 2/2/2012 3:38:06 AM   
idjester

New ballots are available...

1) Do we invade the Boskara independant planet?

2) What system do we colonize with our new colony ship?

3) Do we engage with our military any of the new races discovered?

Cast your votes, you can decide how we play video 3........

< Message edited by idjester -- 2/2/2012 3:47:32 AM >

(in reply to idjester)
Post #: 8
RE: The Solar Nexus AAR - 2/2/2012 8:46:16 AM   
J HG T

1) Definetly. Boskara are aggressive, warlike and respect strength; They should fit into our empire quite nicely. They'll see the benefit of our ways once we crush their puny military and execute some of their pitiful leaders.

2) I'd recommend colonizing Akuueni 3. This way we can secure more territory for our empire. That should serve us well in the future when we start the conquest of inferior races in the Galaxy. There's lots of valuable resources in Akuueni system too.
Also, as Pruxema Debal 2 is in our territory, we can colonize it slightly later as nobody's stupid enough to violate the territory of the mighty Mortalens. 

3) Not yet. I'd advice starting building our main battlefleet as fast as our economy allows. This fleet should be our main tool for conquest in the future.

(in reply to idjester)
Post #: 9
RE: The Solar Nexus AAR - 2/2/2012 3:46:56 PM   
Data

1) Aye, we concur....minus the executing leaders part, not at all the fayean way.

2) same as J all the way

3) Yes, since we're going to take the boskaran independents and make them....dependent

...Igniting stellar cores....Recharging reactors...Recalibrating hyperdrives....

(in reply to J HG T)
Post #: 10
RE: The Solar Nexus AAR - 2/2/2012 10:34:31 PM   
Modest

(it is good to see another AAR of Yours Idjester :) )

1. I vote absolutly for invasion of Boskaran planet. They will learn how to serv us as our elite troopers. Maybe even they will spread to others words and will became some kind of our warrior cast. It will be good to take them in without wasting a colony ship.

2. I also will second J HG T. This is for now propably the best course of action.

3. It is not a time for war, so I will vote against any war with other empires for now. Independents are a diffrent stories. But in case of anyone trying to colonise planets that would be good for us we should shoot down it's colony ship.

< Message edited by Modest -- 2/2/2012 11:47:30 PM >

(in reply to Data)
Post #: 11
RE: The Solar Nexus AAR - 2/2/2012 10:50:04 PM   
idjester

The voting polls close in an hour, so come get your vote cast before the totals are counted....

Then another video will follow shortly based upon the outcome of the final voting totals.... So far the votes have been very one sided.

Look below for video 3...

The Solar Nexus Part3

< Message edited by idjester -- 2/3/2012 1:13:44 PM >

(in reply to Modest)
Post #: 12
RE: The Solar Nexus AAR - 2/3/2012 5:45:24 PM   
J HG T

1) Invade independent Naxxilians, the space dinosaurs? I'll let the following pic make my point crystal clear.

Also, the Naxilians are reptiles too so they'll most likely be happy with our company in the long run.

2) I'd recommend upgrades to torpedoes, more fighter techs and maybe phaser weapons to work in tandem with the Shatterforce lasers. Researching some PD techs in the future would be wise too.

3) We need to decide what empire we will conquer first. My personal opion is that we could overpower the Qizurreans and then go for Securans to secure the galactic core. This will require loads of troops and state-of-the-art battleships, so getting adequate amount of those should be our main goals in the near future.

(in reply to idjester)
Post #: 13
RE: The Solar Nexus AAR - 2/3/2012 6:26:51 PM   
ScottenChi

Thanks for doing the 2nd video in HD - much easier to see.

Very shocked at no Caslon. This is the 2nd AAR I've watched here with a homeworld with no fuel, but I haven't encountered that myself in any of my games.

(in reply to J HG T)
Post #: 14
RE: The Solar Nexus AAR - 2/3/2012 6:38:58 PM   
Modest

1. Invade, invade and one more time invade... Or die trying to!

2. I would like to suggest invent Point Defence weapons - soon we may go to war and it would be extremly stupid from our side to NOT be prepared for enemy fighters and bombers. Afther that I would like to go for High Power Blaster (I do not remember the name but those are oposite choise for Long Range Blasters).

3. I would suggest to declare war on Zenox - they have few weaker colonies which may be propably easyly taken.

ScottenChi, I personaly had few times no calson start, but I never had as difficult Calson situation as we see here. It will be interesting :)

(in reply to ScottenChi)
Post #: 15
RE: The Solar Nexus AAR - 2/3/2012 6:53:02 PM   
idjester

ScottenChi brings up a good point and one I didn't realize... I recorded all of these sessions the same way with the same settings but somehow some of the videos turned out with a quality of 720 HD and others only 480 quality..... I have no idea why that is and what the heck is going on... If anyone has a thought please let me know because it is totally unknown to me. Same program, same settings, same everything and yet it recorded it and saved it with different quality. Now I am baffled...

< Message edited by idjester -- 2/3/2012 7:01:27 PM >

(in reply to Modest)
Post #: 16
RE: The Solar Nexus AAR - 2/5/2012 1:52:03 AM   
idjester

Polls are closed.... Video to come shortly.

The Solar Nexus Part4

This should be HD 720.... still messing around with the settings to get constant video quality. So hopefully this is better.

< Message edited by idjester -- 2/5/2012 4:05:12 PM >

(in reply to idjester)
Post #: 17
RE: The Solar Nexus AAR - 2/6/2012 3:12:57 PM   
J HG T

YES! Teach those those puny Mortalens a lesson in pain! Kiadians FTW!

Grhmm... Sorry about that. I meant: BOOO!!! Go back counting rocks and Pi, Kiadians!

Things are really starting to heat up. The starting location really is the worst possible; You have everybody as neightbour and eventually they start to hate you, which in turn leads to war with everybody.

(in reply to idjester)
Post #: 18
RE: The Solar Nexus AAR - 2/7/2012 2:37:04 AM   
idjester

New video to come tonight my friends...... We shall see if The Solar Nexus can survive for another episode. Look below for the new video.

You can check the video out on my youtube account until I get home and have a chance to link to it....

The Solar Nexus Part5

< Message edited by idjester -- 2/7/2012 8:36:23 PM >

(in reply to J HG T)
Post #: 19
RE: The Solar Nexus AAR - 2/8/2012 2:01:54 PM   
idjester

The Solar Nexus is currently on standby......

I played last night and recorded a nice hour video with lots of good things and then the program just bombed out with a crash.... Ouch.

So I replayed the setup after video 5 and starting getting another good video but then my frustration with the game started to take hold and it ended up being an hour video of me complaining about stuff in the game which I don't like and I'm sure noone wants to watch a video for over an hour of someone complaining about Distant Worlds and all of the programming part within it....

So I must do the video a third time and hopfully tonight I will get a descent video out for all of the citizens of The Solar Nexus!!!

My frustration stems from the total lack of the programming to have your ships follow simple orders until you tell them to do something else. All episode my ships spent running around not following orders, I would tell them to refuel and they would say the order "refulling ships at.... " then 5 minutes later they are just sitting there in the same spot without fuel. WHY!!!! Another time I spent 5 minutes managing my ships trying to tell them to refuel at station A and they would fly over to station A and look like there were going to get fuel but never do..... I finally got so frustrated that I just told them to refuel and repair at the nearest refulling station (instead of rightclicking the planet and doing it) and guess where it the messsage said they were going to refuel -- That's right station A.... The same spot I was telling them to do it for 5 minutes of management. And while I had to micromanage them alot of other stuff was getting missed and forgotten about.... Totally frustrating!!!!! And that is just some of the examples I can tell you right off the top of my head......

Well I'll try again tonight.... after I post in the designers forums about all of the program issues becasue the more I play this game the more the inconsistencies rear there UGLY HEAD!!!!!!

So stand by my people of the Solar Nexus, your leader is going to the galactic councile to get info and I won't leave until I get answers...

< Message edited by idjester -- 2/8/2012 4:50:00 PM >

(in reply to idjester)
Post #: 20
RE: The Solar Nexus AAR - 2/9/2012 4:12:13 PM   
idjester

Well according to the galacitc councile I should invest in version .10 beta patch to help with some of the ship commands working properly. I'm not sure how compatable version .10 is with my .6 version but I did the upgrade. So now I have to decide weather to keep going with the new version with an old save format or to just end this series here. Maybe I will do a test video and see what happens with the new version, but then again I don't know what problems I might run into between the different versions and it could mess up everything...

Hum.... Decisions, decisions.....

(in reply to idjester)
Post #: 21
RE: The Solar Nexus AAR - 2/10/2012 6:49:38 PM   
Data

Better safe than sorry

(in reply to idjester)
Post #: 22
RE: The Solar Nexus AAR - 2/10/2012 6:51:57 PM   
Data

double post

< Message edited by Data -- 2/10/2012 6:54:20 PM >

(in reply to idjester)
Post #: 23
RE: The Solar Nexus AAR - 2/13/2012 3:00:34 AM   
idjester

I decided to go ahead and try it out and see what happens so part 6 is now up and ready for watching... Also need the advice of the citizens again, as an important development happens that the citizens of the Solar Nexus need to vote upon....

Check it out and give your opinion...

The Solar Nexus Part6

(in reply to Data)
Post #: 24
RE: The Solar Nexus AAR - 2/13/2012 7:33:59 PM   
UPUAUT

I would say - keep the secret. The Solar Nexus can´t risk to get the Dar Nation angry at us. The Solar Nexus isn´t prepared for a two-front war.

(in reply to idjester)
Post #: 25
RE: The Solar Nexus AAR - 2/16/2012 2:08:58 AM   
idjester

I played another 1 1/2 hours of recorded video to get further into our game but the ships continue to no respond to orders. Not sure if they even fixed the problem or not or if it is because it was from a different patch level. Whatever the reason the ships don't do the requested orders and I am too frustrated to play with a game like that. Will try and start another campaign with the .10 patch from scratch to see if that beta patch fixes the issue that way....

Anyways -- this campaign is cancelled until they fix the AI with the ships.

(in reply to UPUAUT)
Post #: 26
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds Series >> After Action Reports >> The Solar Nexus AAR Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI