Matrix Games Forums

To End All Wars: Mountain InfantryPandora: Eclipse of Nashira Announced! Deal of the Week: Command Ops goes half price!New Fronts are opening up for Commander: The Great WarCharacters of World War 1Sign of for the Pike and Shot Beta!More Games are Coming to Steam! Return to the Moon on October 31st! Commander: The Great War iPad Wallpapers Generals of the Great War
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Still Not Working

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Time of Fury >> RE: Still Not Working Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Still Not Working - 11/19/2012 9:29:43 PM   
Omnius

Peter123,
Even when I try to extract the files I get some kind of pathing error message. I can get into the editor program but I get some kind of XNA systemnull error message and there just isn't any kind of pull down menu items to choose from. All I see are the terrain boxes on the left. The main part of the screen is black and any time I touch any key I get some XNA error message about exceeding 2056. I just use the term install to cover getting it out of the zip file.

Thanks for the tip on the landunits.csv file. I hope I can use WordPad to edit and save changes. I had OpenOffice on my old computer but don't want to waste hard drive space on my 100GB Windows partition installing it since I use Letters in my Apple partition to do any word processing. Anyway I hope this will work not just for units that are already set up but also ones that get frozen by some event like a Soviet fortification event.
Thanks,

Omnius

(in reply to Peter123)
Post #: 61
RE: Still Not Working - 11/20/2012 4:26:25 PM   
Omnius

Peter123,
Dang I finally remembered that I never "Extracted" the files from the zip file last night but this morning when I did extract the files I still get the exact same error message getting into the editor program. I finally broke down and and wrote down the whole error message I couldn't copy and paste and copied the Details of the second error message I always get that I could paste into my report. I was so hopeful that after I extracted the files I would be up and running.

I have one question as regards your suggestion to zero out frozen units for every country. Will this way kill the units being frozen when they are upgraded in size or type? I do accept that kind of short-term freeze as being a good deal. I kind of figure that this will kill any attempts to freeze units by any method, including the upgrade freeze. This is probably the easiest way to kill the unit freeze, much easier than trying to hunt down every line of code that freezes units on the map or during some event.
Thanks,

Omnius

< Message edited by Omnius -- 12/2/2012 10:09:40 PM >

(in reply to Peter123)
Post #: 62
RE: Still Not Working - 11/20/2012 11:11:33 PM   
Peter123

quote:

ORIGINAL: Omnius

I have one question as regards your suggestion to zero out frozen units for every country. Will this way kill the units being frozen when they are upgraded in size or type? I do accept that kind of short-term freeze as being a good deal. I kind of figure that this will kill any attempts to freeze units by any method, including the upgrade freeze. This is probably the easiest way to kill the unit freeze, much easier than trying to hunt down every line of code that freezes units on the map or during some event.
Thanks,

Omnius

Editing the units.csv files will only unfreeze the units listed in them (the ones starting the scenario if you edit the scenario files). It does not affect the upgrade freeze (you can edit this in the consts.ini files) nor the events freeze (you must edit the event).
You can instead add the "no frozen units event" that I posted above (extended for every country you want). It can be fired every turn, removing all freezes, including upgrade and event freezes.

(in reply to Omnius)
Post #: 63
RE: Still Not Working - 12/2/2012 5:58:00 PM   
Omnius

quote:

ORIGINAL: Peter123

Editing the units.csv files will only unfreeze the units listed in them (the ones starting the scenario if you edit the scenario files). It does not affect the upgrade freeze (you can edit this in the consts.ini files) nor the events freeze (you must edit the event).
You can instead add the "no frozen units event" that I posted above (extended for every country you want). It can be fired every turn, removing all freezes, including upgrade and event freezes.

Peter123,
I downloaded and installed the current 3.1 version of Open Office. I tried it out on my latest saved game files opening up the landunit.csv file where I edited two units that were frozen for 913 turns, so I changed them to zero turns. I saved the file and the Open Office program asked me if I wanted to save the file in the current format or some other ODF file format. I chose to keep the current format. When I opened up the saved game I found that my file is broken. I luckily had the save from just before the end of the prior turn so could get back to the current turn. It did work but when editing and saving again in the current format the file was broken again. It does a fatal CTD just as the bar gets about 75% done going from the opening saved game file screen to the screen where we select human or computer player and difficulty of play.

When opening the landunits.csv file I have to switch the viewing mode from comma delimited to semicolon so I see the columns properly. That is the only change I make other than changing values in the "S" column for frozen units. I made a change in a different saved test game file using Word Pad and the change I made and saved to increase the USA nuclear research from 87 to 787 worked just fine.

I'm rather frustrated that what should seem so easy has turned into something of a disaster as I lost all of Germany's turn 87 moves and combats for the second turn of Barbarossa. So what gives? What did I do wrong that my Open Office edit and save bombed the saved game file? I tried to figure out how to change back the semicolon delimiting to comma but didn't see the same screen I did upon entering and getting that option presented. Was that the ODF file format that I should have saved it as?

I don't mind the freeze from upgrading units, that is a good freeze and short lived as all freezes should be. I'm just interested in eliminating all those nonsensical 999 turn freezes that units start scenarios with or get frozen by some poorly thought out event as far as freezing goes. I see where I should be able to periodically go into the landunits.csv file to unfreeze units as they occur when events freeze them for 999 turns.
Omnius

(in reply to Peter123)
Post #: 64
Importing Text Question? - 12/2/2012 10:14:46 PM   
Omnius

Peter123,
Is there some special selection I should make when importing the text into the OpenOffice spreadsheet? I see it automatically selects some "Western Europe Windows something or other" selection at the very top of the import box whenever I open up the landunits.csv file. I also select the semicolon delimited to see the columns nicely like you showed in the screen shot example on the prior page.

I tried the ODS save selection but it wants to save the file as an .ODS file rather than csv. It looks like it should be so easy to use OpenOffice to open the file, make the few changes I want and then save them so the game will use the new file data. I sure hope there's some little thing I'm missing you can point out and then away I go with OpenOffice editing.
Thanks,

Omnius

(in reply to Omnius)
Post #: 65
RE: Importing Text Question? - 12/3/2012 11:12:00 AM   
Peter123

try these import settings:

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Omnius)
Post #: 66
RE: Importing Text Question? - 12/4/2012 12:17:45 AM   
Agent S

Peter, your screen grabs are inspiring, a request please.
Could you post some screen grabs explaining how sea nodes work.
I'm not much of a programmer, but any insight would be most appreciated.

"Great men are forged in fire, it is the privilege of lesser men to light the flame. Whatever the cost." -Dr. Who (#1)

(in reply to Peter123)
Post #: 67
RE: Importing Text Question? - 12/4/2012 2:03:19 PM   
Peter123

Agent,I'm more comfortable editing csv the files to do that. I use the files of an existing scenario as a template and then some edit,copy and paste.

In the sea_nodes.csv just name the nodes and define coordinates for fleet counters display on map (ports are nodes too).

in sea_edges.csv connect nodes to allow fleets moves. I guess straits can preclude transit betwen nodes if not controlled.

in fleets.csv define the fleets and the nodes where they start (again ports are nodes too)

Put the ships in naval_units.csv.

In the editor, under sea nodes, select each node and paint on the map the hexes for each node (in this case I just care about land hexes for shore bombardment).

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Agent S)
Post #: 68
RE: Importing Text Question? - 12/6/2012 6:30:18 PM   
Omnius

quote:

ORIGINAL: Peter123

try these import settings:

Peter123,
Thanks so much for giving me some clues about importing the file. I definitely see you use a different character set. I sure hope that works for me, will have to wait until my oldest granddaughter is done visiting me.
Thanks!

Omnius

(in reply to Peter123)
Post #: 69
Eureka - 12/7/2012 5:59:00 PM   
Omnius

Peter123,
Thanks to my oldest Granddaughter sleeping late I got to try out your import settings. Even though my version of OpenOffice didn't have the "Language" line under the Import section or the Other Options section for detecting special numbers I was able to change two units from being frozen for 913 turns to zero turns and saved the file. I did erase the quotation mark from the Text delimiter box since I saw that box was empty in your example. I was able to enter the saved game file. Thanks much for the help. Now I can undo the really long freezes while leaving the short term freezes alone, a much more elegant solution than the other one about creating events that would zero out every unit freeze for every country.

Now if I could only get into that scenario editor. I'm just drooling at your screen grab showing the whole screen with a map and the top menu bar selections. All I get are the Zoom bar and those boxes below it. I've installed the Xna and the two editor files and just can't seem to get the program to work all the way correctly. I get some kind of Xna error message and am wondering if there is some kind of Xna setting I'm not doing or if I need to somehow run the Xna program before trying to get the editor to work?
Thanks,

Omnius

(in reply to Peter123)
Post #: 70
RE: Eureka - 12/9/2012 10:28:22 AM   
Peter123

quote:

ORIGINAL: Omnius

Peter123,
Thanks to my oldest Granddaughter sleeping late I got to try out your import settings. Even though my version of OpenOffice didn't have the "Language" line under the Import section or the Other Options section for detecting special numbers I was able to change two units from being frozen for 913 turns to zero turns and saved the file. I did erase the quotation mark from the Text delimiter box since I saw that box was empty in your example. I was able to enter the saved game file. Thanks much for the help. Now I can undo the really long freezes while leaving the short term freezes alone, a much more elegant solution than the other one about creating events that would zero out every unit freeze for every country.

Now if I could only get into that scenario editor. I'm just drooling at your screen grab showing the whole screen with a map and the top menu bar selections. All I get are the Zoom bar and those boxes below it. I've installed the Xna and the two editor files and just can't seem to get the program to work all the way correctly. I get some kind of Xna error message and am wondering if there is some kind of Xna setting I'm not doing or if I need to somehow run the Xna program before trying to get the editor to work?
Thanks,

Omnius

Omnius, It seems an Xna issue(I have no idea what Xna is);Do you have the opportunity to try the Editor on a Windows system? I think you use a Windows partition on a Apple system, and maybe that could cause trouble.

(in reply to Omnius)
Post #: 71
Windows & Macs - 12/9/2012 5:20:51 PM   
Omnius

Peter123,
I'm not sure what Xna is either but the thread where we get to download the editor demands we install it. I run Windows 7 on my iMac so don't have a plain old Windows style PC. It is frustrating that the editor comes up partially but doesn't give me all the options like the pull down menus. Oh well. I wish doomtrader would give me some help. Thanks to your help I can now edit files directly for some important things.
Omnius

(in reply to Peter123)
Post #: 72
Broken Link to 104b? - 1/28/2013 6:07:14 PM   
Omnius

I tried to download the 1.04b editor version and found that in the two places where it has a link for us to access that the links do not work. I got a file not found message. Luckily I had the download in my downloads. I still can't get the ToF editor working properly. I always get some Xna error message about the wrong parameter and while the editor pulls up I only get a black screen where the map should be and I see no file pulldown menus. I do see the block of boxes on the left hand side with sliders. I sure hope this gets fixed so those of us who can't seem to get it working properly can do so.
Omnius

(in reply to Omnius)
Post #: 73
RE: Time of Fury editor 1.04 released - 2/3/2013 8:36:22 PM   
rmonical

Working on a new scenario, the editor corrupts countries.csv on save by writing the last country (Dummy)as ID 76 (same as Event Country PBEM) instead of 77.

(in reply to doomtrader)
Post #: 74
All I Want is a Working Editor - 2/11/2013 4:20:18 PM   
Omnius

I wish I could get the 1.04b editor program to work on my computer. I've asked for help and even carefully listed the exact error messages I was getting that seemed to show a conflict between Microsoft's Xna program and the ToF editor. So far I have gotten nothing in reply, not exactly good customer support.

If I can't get the ToF editor to work on my computer then I probably won't get any editor for Strategic War in Europe working either. If I can't get the editors working for either game then I will not be buying any further Wasteland products. If I can't make changes to the map or other things the editor handles then there's really no use buying Wasteland games.
Omnius

(in reply to rmonical)
Post #: 75
RE: All I Want is a Working Editor - 5/28/2013 12:27:44 AM   
Hairog

Any word on an editor that works?

World War Three 1946 Blog
World War Three 1946 2nd Edition available at Amazon

(in reply to Omnius)
Post #: 76
RE: All I Want is a Working Editor - 6/13/2013 4:43:32 AM   
Steely Glint

This "editor" is the worst piece of software I have ever seen. After installing the "editor" on a brand-new system, after finally changing every file over from Read Only (why did they do that?) and installing that stupid, archaic XNA (why did they use that?), and fighting through all the permissions issues ((why did they put those in?) until the editor MIGHT actually run, the "editor" refuses to run, informing me that it will not run because water.png is in use by another program - which it most certainly is not.

I want to play the game and use the editor, but the incredible total reeking awfulness of this editor is preventing that from happening.

Can someone PLEASE fix this critical mass of incompetence so that it actually installs and runs on a Windows machine? Thank you.

"In the absence of orders, go find something and kill it." - Field Marshal Erwin Rommel

(in reply to Hairog)
Post #: 77
RE: All I Want is a Working Editor - 6/13/2013 4:58:41 AM   
Agent S

ROFL
-although it would turn a game from good to awesome.
(but I've given up flogging this horse)

< Message edited by Agent S -- 6/13/2013 5:00:43 AM >

(in reply to Steely Glint)
Post #: 78
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 [3]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Time of Fury >> RE: Still Not Working Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI