Matrix Games Forums

Battle Academy is now available on SteamPlayers compare Ageods Civil War to Civil War IIDeal of the week - An updated War in the East goes half Price!Sign up for the Qvadriga beta for iPad and Android!Come and say hi at Pax and SaluteLegends of War goes on sale!Piercing Fortress Europa Gets UpdatedBattle Academy Mega Pack is now availableClose Combat: Gateway to Caen Teaser TrailerDeal of the Week Alea Jacta Est
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Couple of questions re. the Editor

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Advanced Tactics Series >> Couple of questions re. the Editor Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Couple of questions re. the Editor - 1/30/2012 7:29:45 PM   
Javolenus

Hi There,

I bought ATG quite a while ago but gave up on it because I couldn't make sense of the editor. But, having tried other games, I realise that ATG is actually a brilliant game and very close to my ideal wargame. And so I have come back to ATG. But I still have problems with the editor. Here are a couple of questions:

1. How can I make it so that the random scenario maker will load a custom set of place names, which will appear randomly on the map? I like to play with names that are either Classical (e.g. Roman/Greek) or NATO (Alpha, Bravo etc.).

2. How can I rename villages, towns, cities in a random-generated scenario or in a new scenario that I make from scratch?

3. If I create "regimes" in the scenario editor, how can I give them a "character" like German or Japanese or American etc?

4. How can I make new regimes with customised character--i.e. how do I make my own "peoples" and give them attributes?

I hope these questions make sense. Basically, I want to be able to create a customised world (map, terrain, place names, factions/regimes) and have the option to play different random scenarios with these customised parameters.

Thanks in advance for help and sorry if questions are covered elsewhere.
Post #: 1
RE: Couple of questions re. the Editor - 2/28/2012 10:05:53 PM   
CSO_Talorgan

The editor manual should be a priority.

(in reply to Javolenus)
Post #: 2
RE: Couple of questions re. the Editor - 2/28/2012 10:30:28 PM   
ernieschwitz

quote:

ORIGINAL: CSO_Talorgan

The editor manual should be a priority.

I agree. There are parts of the editor that i don´t know, and wouldn´t know how to use too.

What I´ve done is basically picked up what I could here and there, and then moved on from that. Some things are pretty straight forward if you want to do them. Placing units on a map, making a map for instance is easy. Doing a masterfile, i don´t know, I never have done it. Event coding is something you can get used to, but requires some reading and planning to do good. ... and i could go on and on...

The problem with the editor is that its easier to explain what it can´t do, than what you could make it do.

Sometimes I will think something is impossible, only to find a way to do it a few days afterwards. I´d say if any one person should write the editor manual it should be Tweber or Vic. Really admire their work.

(in reply to CSO_Talorgan)
Post #: 3
RE: Couple of questions re. the Editor - 2/29/2012 7:59:14 PM   
CSO_Talorgan

quote:

ORIGINAL: ernieschwitz

I´d say if any one person should write the editor manual it should be Tweber or Vic.

Should tutorials be written by the real experts or by the fellow-numptie who knows just a bit more than me?

The problem with manuals, tutorials and guides written by the real experts is that they operate on such a higher level that they cannot conceive of the difficulties that we mere mortals struggle with. It is so long since they knew as little as us that they can't remember what it was like to be so thick, can't remember what the obstacles were, and therefore gloss over areas that hold us up.

One way or another though "ATG for Dummies" needs to be written and the (modular) wiki format is a good basis.

(in reply to ernieschwitz)
Post #: 4
RE: Couple of questions re. the Editor - 8/26/2012 9:50:31 PM   
CSO_Talorgan

Of course the other possibility is the tutorial video. Are there any?

(in reply to CSO_Talorgan)
Post #: 5
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Advanced Tactics Series >> Couple of questions re. the Editor Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI