Matrix Games Forums

Battle Academy is now available on SteamPlayers compare Ageods Civil War to Civil War IIDeal of the week - An updated War in the East goes half Price!Sign up for the Qvadriga beta for iPad and Android!Come and say hi at Pax and SaluteLegends of War goes on sale!Piercing Fortress Europa Gets UpdatedBattle Academy Mega Pack is now availableClose Combat: Gateway to Caen Teaser TrailerDeal of the Week Alea Jacta Est
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Taking it on the Chin - vicberg (newb Ger) vs. Cheerfully Insane (Sov)

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> After Action Reports >> Taking it on the Chin - vicberg (newb Ger) vs. Cheerfully Insane (Sov) Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Taking it on the Chin - vicberg (newb Ger) vs. Cheerful... - 1/30/2012 5:44:17 AM   
vicberg

This is my first PBEM. All comments, critics and advice are welcome.

Things that I'm starting to understand:
- Setting support levels and assigning directly to divisions. I'm playing with it and it's making sense.
- Turning ground support off for mop ups and turning back on for normal ops.

Things I hopelessly confused on
- Managing air in general, specifically, manual replacements. Why do this? How to do this?
- Moving air around between bases? Once again, why?

Production
- After playing WITPAE, this, I'm not sure on at all. Looks like majority is automated.

This being said. Here we go!
Post #: 1
RE: Taking it on the Chin - vicberg (newb Ger) vs. Chee... - 1/30/2012 5:51:22 AM   
vicberg

Turns 1 and 2

I didn't take screen shots, so I'll give a synopsis of the first two turns.

I tried the Riga Gambit, kicked him out of Riga, but was 1 movement point short of moving into the city, so he moved back in and proceeded to put his isolated units from the front to Riga back in supply. That was a big bummer. As I'm learning, against a forward defense, cover flanks.

In the middle, I overextended past Minsk. He cut me off and I've cut him back off again on turn 3. Screen shots coming. Once again, not covering flanks.

In the south, I committed 2 panzer corps from AGC to the south. I pocketed short of Rovno and almost pocketed down to Rumania. The Lvov pocket was re-established turn 2 and the majority of infantry from AGS are closing the pocket.

Progress is much less than I would like. Air losses at his point are approaching 4000. Not enough, from what I'm reading. I'm not sure what else in terms of looking at losses I should be looking at.

Lastly, leaning that moving Panzers rather than attacking with them can net better results. Their movement is a better asset than their firepower as he doesn't have enough troops yet for form a solid front.

(in reply to vicberg)
Post #: 2
RE: Taking it on the Chin - vicberg (newb Ger) vs. Chee... - 1/30/2012 5:56:38 AM   
vicberg

Turn 3 (I'll get dates coming soon)

This is the Riga mess. I should be able to take in next turn, but it's slowing down my infantry.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to vicberg)
Post #: 3
RE: Taking it on the Chin - vicberg (newb Ger) vs. Chee... - 1/30/2012 5:57:35 AM   
vicberg

Here's the remaining pocket. Should be closed next turn, but again, slowing down infantry.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to vicberg)
Post #: 4
RE: Taking it on the Chin - vicberg (newb Ger) vs. Chee... - 1/30/2012 5:58:53 AM   
vicberg

THis is the Minsk pocket. I had to reestablish not only it, but put my own armor back in supply. COVER FLANKS!!!

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by vicberg -- 1/30/2012 6:00:23 AM >

(in reply to vicberg)
Post #: 5
RE: Taking it on the Chin - vicberg (newb Ger) vs. Chee... - 1/30/2012 6:03:25 AM   
vicberg

And finally, this is second time I've been able to use armor to pocket troops. These aren't huge pockets, but there seems to be an art between attacking and manuveuring. I need to blow open some holes and exploit. I can gain land this way without any fight.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to vicberg)
Post #: 6
RE: Taking it on the Chin - vicberg (newb Ger) vs. Chee... - 1/30/2012 6:09:32 AM   
Seminole

quote:

Lastly, leaning that moving Panzers rather than attacking with them can net better results. Their movement is a better asset than their firepower as he doesn't have enough troops yet for form a solid front.

"Der Motor des Panzers ist ebenso seine Waffe wie die Kanone." - Heinz Guderian
(The engine of the Panzer is a weapon just as the main-gun.)

(in reply to vicberg)
Post #: 7
RE: Taking it on the Chin - vicberg (newb Ger) vs. Chee... - 1/30/2012 7:30:15 PM   
vicberg

Turn 4

Lessons Learned: First turn, more import than Riga seems to me to isolate the front Soviet units for AGN. Saves ammo for front line infantry and creates more casualties. I'm not sure the Panzer Group has enough divisions to do both Riga and isolation. The ports west of Riga can be used to re-establish supply and the infantry simply doesn't have the speed to keep the pocket together. I may be wrong here.

Support Units: Would be really, really nice if there was an option to auto-push down into divisions, with some fuzzy logic to distribute the SUs evenly, if there's more than one of the same type. Would be even nicer if the Corp HQ auto-set itself down to lock when done. Checking each turn for new SUs to pull down to divisions is painful. Perhaps I'm doing something wrong.

Casualities: Soviets are approaching 1 million. Not sure if that's good or not. My AFV losses are approaching 1000. Not sure if that's bad.

Air Power: Still unclear on the concept. What to manually replace? Allow the system to manage air? That never seems like a good choice.

I have a decent encirclement west of Kiev. I was so damn focused on the encirclement, I probably could have driven into Kiev without a fight. If I wanted to be more aggressive, I probably could have encircled the units to the north of present pocket as well. After this pocket is closed, Panzer Group 1 will move Southeast and Panzer Group 2 will take Kiev and cross the river.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Seminole)
Post #: 8
RE: Taking it on the Chin - vicberg (newb Ger) vs. Chee... - 1/30/2012 8:29:04 PM   
Seminole

quote:

Air Power: Still unclear on the concept. What to manually replace? Allow the system to manage air? That never seems like a good choice.

The AI will replace units when their numbers are ground down and replacement by the same type has a low pool.
My first campaign against the AI I never touched the air force, mostly kept it far from the front lines, and still had plenty of I-16s in front line service in '43.  You don't want that.

National Reserve will increase morale and experience of your air groups.  Aside from VVS attached air groups dropping supplies to partisans (remember to set them to night missions!), your air force doesn't make a huge contribution in '41, so don't be upset to take a lot of it 'offline' and back to the National Reserve.

If you want the AI to handle your replacements then keep your planes (especially the old fighter wings) forward and change the air doctrine to fly them more often. 

In my server game I spent the APs to change out my old fighters with Migs, LAGGs and Yaks and rotate them from the NR to the frontline air bases once the rains picked up in late October.  I stock the PVO and IAD(B) air bases with fighters, the SADs with tactical bombers and usually 1 LAGG wing, and the (D)BADs with the level bombers.  No penalties for different air groups at different bases, I just wanted to keep the fighters in fighter bases, etc. for my own amusement.

Check the support level/need the turn after you make air group assignments.  If your need exceeds support level the airbase will be able to keep fewer and fewer of the full complement of aircraft ready.  Here's a thread on the Red Air Force with a few comments and observations: http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=3008459

(in reply to vicberg)
Post #: 9
RE: Taking it on the Chin - vicberg (newb Ger) vs. Chee... - 1/30/2012 11:38:18 PM   
Q-Ball

You are getting some good pockets in AGS it looks like. Keep that up; the initial Soviet units down there are pretty solid, but once that first cadre is gone.... He might be fighting too far forward there. Recon along the Dnepr, see if there is anything; if he isn't digging there, he is making a mistake.

Not sure what happened in AGN, I didn't see Pz GP 4 in your shots.

It's typicaly to lose 1000 tanks. The Germans will lose tanks in droves just from driving. Nothing you can do about that (other than stay in Poland!)

(in reply to Seminole)
Post #: 10
RE: Taking it on the Chin - vicberg (newb Ger) vs. Chee... - 1/31/2012 2:37:02 PM   
vicberg

Turn 6

This is the situation in the north. Screw ups first two turns enabled his troops to stop up movement and I was slow to get infantry to the area. I've realized that for AGN, punch a couple of holes, take the ports west of Riga, use 3-4 corps for pocket duty and rush the rest east. I do have a nice encirclement, but the pace of AGN is too slow. I should have been at Pskov turn 3. I'm worried about taking Leningrad now. We are playing historical weather.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Q-Ball)
Post #: 11
RE: Taking it on the Chin - vicberg (newb Ger) vs. Chee... - 1/31/2012 2:40:08 PM   
vicberg

In the center, I was able to drive into Smolensk. I tried to break through the Dnepr south of this and get another encirclement, but I couldn't break through. Once again, not enough infantry to the front. Speed is of the essence the first few turns of this game.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to vicberg)
Post #: 12
RE: Taking it on the Chin - vicberg (newb Ger) vs. Chee... - 2/7/2012 3:32:18 PM   
CheerfullyInsane

quote:

ORIGINAL: Q-Ball
Recon along the Dnepr, see if there is anything; if he isn't digging there, he is making a mistake.

He's digging.
I've been slapped around by far too many German players not to start a back-up line.

I know I'm probably fighting too far forward, and I wish I could claim some sort of strategic thought behind it.
But I just hate to give up ground without a fight.
Usually comes back to bite me in the tender bits, but on the other hand it helps to keep the Germans honest.

The Smolensk charge surprised me, but with only half a pincer I managed to pull everybody but 2-3 divisions out of there, and the entire line jumped back 4 hexes. Last CG I played had me hold on to the Dnepr line a turn too long and I ended up with a giant hole in my front where 3 armies used to be.
Lesson learned.

And for those wondering why I'm posting in this thread, it's because we've decided to restart the game.
vicberg wasn't entirely happy with the way he'd handled the initial moves, and while I've seen far worse openings (such as my own feeble attempts at the Wehrmacht) I'll also concede that it's not much fun going through a game when you're pretty sure you've lost a 220 turn game at turn 8.
Still think Leningrad was possible (though hard), but Moscow was probably gone by now.
So we're at it again...Whether or not vicberg decides to carry on another AAR I can't say.

CheerfullyInsane

"Something is always wrong, Baldrick. The fact that I'm not a millionaire aristocrat with the sexual capacity of a rutting rhino is a constant niggle"
- Edmund Blackadder

(in reply to Q-Ball)
Post #: 13
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> After Action Reports >> Taking it on the Chin - vicberg (newb Ger) vs. Cheerfully Insane (Sov) Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI