Matrix Games Forums

Battle Academy Mega Pack releases on SteamDeal of the Week Da Vinci's Art of WarCivil War II Patch 1.4 public BetaHappy Easter!Battle Academy is now available on SteamPlayers compare Ageods Civil War to Civil War IIDeal of the week - An updated War in the East goes half Price!Sign up for the Qvadriga beta for iPad and Android!Come and say hi at Pax and SaluteLegends of War goes on sale!
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Movement Bug

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Tech Support >> Movement Bug Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Movement Bug - 1/29/2012 3:51:10 AM   
SqzMyLemon

Hi michaelm,

This has been recurring and I've just neglected to bring it to your attention. I'm running q4 in a PBEM, scenario 2. I'm the Japanese. The three infantry regiments directly West of Temoluh in Malaya keep resetting their movement. They are ordered to move to the base hex (Temoluh). I checked the previous turn and it stated they'd moved 39 miles toward the base. After running the turn, it now says they've only moved 4 miles. It been resetting for awhile now apparently. I've attached the turn where movement indicates reset to 4 miles travelled. I have the last turn saved showing 39 miles if you need it. Hopefully, it's not a big issue.

Thanks,

Joseph

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by SqzMyLemon -- 1/29/2012 3:54:33 AM >

Luck is the residue of design - John Milton

Don't mistake lack of talent for genius - Peter Steele (Type O Negative)
Post #: 1
RE: Movement Bug - 1/30/2012 1:50:02 PM   
michaelm

They move into the hex. See an enemy unit, and then turn back.
Not sure if it the Move mode, or what.
I'll have a closer look tomorrow.

Michael

(in reply to SqzMyLemon)
Post #: 2
RE: Movement Bug - 1/31/2012 9:18:25 AM   
kjnoel

I'm on the latest beta and lately I've been seeing similar problems with LCUs moving. First few times I just though I was clumsy. I am seeing:

1) Same as above when LCUs (move mode) just bounce off their target.
2) LCUs making a one hex move into an enemy hex randomly seem to change their direction to another hexside. Even more oddly the distance marched does not reset, even when I set it back to the original. Some faster armoured units actually appeared in a random adjacent hex before I noticed and then set their direction back to the original target.

I could dig out some saves if that would help.

(in reply to michaelm)
Post #: 3
RE: Movement Bug - 1/31/2012 10:34:39 AM   
michaelm

Can't see why this would be happening as nothing changed in land movement.
Unless something else is triggering it of course.

I'll have to just keep running the save until I catch when it moves out of the hex, as I can trace the code and see it move in okay.

I'll work on this save until I can figure it out. And then may request other saves to verify that it fixes them too.

Michael

(in reply to kjnoel)
Post #: 4
RE: Movement Bug - 1/31/2012 11:59:10 AM   
HansBolter

I recently had a similar thing happen with the Chinese. I had three corps, three artillery units and an HQ all start moving at the same time to the same adjacent destination. The artillery moved fatser than the rest and arrived in the enemy held hex ahead of the troops and "bounced" back to the hex of origin.

It was a few turns back so I will have to dig for a save for you.

Hans

(in reply to michaelm)
Post #: 5
RE: Movement Bug - 1/31/2012 1:04:52 PM   
michaelm

If you can would be helpful.

I have found what caused the problem with the save from first post.
Would be interesting if this is the same.

Michael

(in reply to HansBolter)
Post #: 6
RE: Movement Bug - 1/31/2012 4:27:24 PM   
SqzMyLemon

I can provide additional prior saves to noticing this as well, but it may not help as it won't be a different situation.

Since we are sort of of on the subject and to add to what kjnoel mentioned. There's been a few times in Burma and China where I have ordered a unit to make a one hex move, and the unit ends up travelling two hexes in a completely unintended route. For example, I ordered a unit on a main road to travel N.E. one hex across a wooded hexside. The main road continues east one hex into clear terrain and then turns N.W. providing road movement to the intended hex. What I noticed is that the unit disregarded my movement order and wanted to move along the main road, essentially moving two hexes to make a one hex move. No matter how many times I cancelled that movment, it was always changed by the AI to move along the road. I know the manual states a unit will move along the route of the best supply path whenever possible, however in this case I didn't want that to happen. I wanted to have my unit not move in clear terrain to avoid geting bombed by my opponent. I considered a one hex move to not be affected by the best supply path route and not restricted in this way, as I didn't care about a supply efficient move as i was only moving one hex.

In other cases, I've seen the AI do the exact opposite. It will not move along a road two hexes to enter an adjacent hex, and will instead take a short cut across a rough terrain hexside. This made a one hex move that should have been a two hex move along a road, which was the faster and more efficient way along the supply path, as opposed to the delay caused crossing the rough hexside.

Is this working as designed? Just curious on your thoughts and if these issues have been brought up previously?

(in reply to michaelm)
Post #: 7
RE: Movement Bug - 1/31/2012 8:56:21 PM   
kjnoel

I've backtracked and it's even stranger than I thought:

The units in question are 3rd Carabiniers & 73rd Motorised Brigade

2th October they are sat at 59,37 with no movement orders, 3rd October they are suddenly at 60,37.....
4th October they are back at 59,37, then the 5th they warp back to 60,37 where they stay.

Attached is the 4th Oct start position and the turn sent to my opponent after moves that day (no idea what I ordered them to do)

Attachment (1)

(in reply to SqzMyLemon)
Post #: 8
RE: Movement Bug - 1/31/2012 8:57:34 PM   
kjnoel

And the end of the turn.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to kjnoel)
Post #: 9
RE: Movement Bug - 1/31/2012 9:04:55 PM   
kjnoel

Another movement issue, possibly the same one but slightly different....

October 10th 225 Group RAF sat at 59,37 with no orders
October 11th still at 59,37 but now marked as having moved 27 miles out of 46 to the east. I would be happy with that rate of move in jungle but can't imagine I would have given them anything other than a SW movement order.

10th October start position.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to kjnoel)
Post #: 10
RE: Movement Bug - 1/31/2012 9:05:59 PM   
kjnoel

And the 10th October end of turn sent to my opponent.

I also have both of the day after saves if that would help.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to kjnoel)
Post #: 11
RE: Movement Bug - 1/31/2012 10:12:35 PM   
HansBolter

Here is the save michael.

It did happen on April Fool's Day so I figured it was just a joke.

The Chinese stack in question is in hex 89,54 moving NE to Wuhu. The two artillery pieces and the Army HQ make the move this turn, the two artillery pieces bounce back leaving the HQ in Wuhu alone at the start of April 2. Luckily the footslogging infantry enter Wuhu on April 2 much to the relief of the overexposed HQ.

Attachment (1)

Hans

(in reply to kjnoel)
Post #: 12
RE: Movement Bug - 2/1/2012 11:50:38 AM   
michaelm

quote:

ORIGINAL: HansBolter

The Chinese stack in question is in hex 89,54 moving NE to Wuhu. The two artillery pieces and the Army HQ make the move this turn, the two artillery pieces bounce back leaving the HQ in Wuhu alone at the start of April 2. Luckily the footslogging infantry enter Wuhu on April 2 much to the relief of the overexposed HQ.

After the move, the HQ and 2 Art stayed in the hex.

The issue is that the units have retained the type of Strategic Move last used (Strategic Rail or Road).
This is confusing the units when they use Move mode - the hex being moved to is often deemed unreachable because of it. This then can cause the unit to think it can't move there and bounce back to the original hex with the march length decremented. This is especially true if the units are following another one.

As a workaround to clear this, stopping the move and putting into Combat mode should reset this value.

Michael

(in reply to HansBolter)
Post #: 13
RE: Movement Bug - 2/1/2012 12:08:43 PM   
michaelm

quote:

ORIGINAL: kjnoel

I've backtracked and it's even stranger than I thought:

The units in question are 3rd Carabiniers & 73rd Motorised Brigade

2th October they are sat at 59,37 with no movement orders, 3rd October they are suddenly at 60,37.....
4th October they are back at 59,37, then the 5th they warp back to 60,37 where they stay.

Attached is the 4th Oct start position and the turn sent to my opponent after moves that day (no idea what I ordered them to do)

Units stayed put in 59,37 using the movement fix.

Michael

(in reply to kjnoel)
Post #: 14
RE: Movement Bug - 2/1/2012 12:21:11 PM   
michaelm

quote:

ORIGINAL: kjnoel

Another movement issue, possibly the same one but slightly different....

October 10th 225 Group RAF sat at 59,37 with no orders
October 11th still at 59,37 but now marked as having moved 27 miles out of 46 to the east. I would be happy with that rate of move in jungle but can't imagine I would have given them anything other than a SW movement order.

10th October start position.

Same thing. It didn't move.

Looks like that one fix has addressed a few move issues.

Michael

(in reply to kjnoel)
Post #: 15
RE: Movement Bug - 2/1/2012 4:01:38 PM   
SqzMyLemon

Thanks michael.

I'll put them into combat mode and see if that solves the problem.

(in reply to michaelm)
Post #: 16
RE: Movement Bug - 2/1/2012 5:23:42 PM   
HansBolter

quote:

ORIGINAL: michaelm

quote:

The issue is that the units have retained the type of Strategic Move last used (Strategic Rail or Road).
This is confusing the units when they use Move mode - the hex being moved to is often deemed unreachable because of it. This then can cause the unit to think it can't move there and bounce back to the original hex with the march length decremented. This is especially true if the units are following another one.

As a workaround to clear this, stopping the move and putting into Combat mode should reset this value.

Not on my end. After the move the HQ remained in the hex and the two artillery units bounced back with all progress to the destination gone. I can send you the next turn with the HQ alone in the hex and the two artillery units back in the hex of origin. The next turn was saved just before the turn resolution so the two artillery pices have new movement orders back to Wuhu with a progress of zero.

I aslo never give follow orders for LCUs. Instead I order one to move and then hit "set all to march" rather than "all to follow".

< Message edited by HansBolter -- 2/1/2012 5:24:18 PM >

Hans

(in reply to michaelm)
Post #: 17
RE: Movement Bug - 2/3/2012 9:46:22 PM   
michaelm

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: michaelm

quote:

Not on my end. After the move the HQ remained in the hex and the two artillery units bounced back with all progress to the destination gone. I can send you the next turn with the HQ alone in the hex and the two artillery units back in the hex of origin. The next turn was saved just before the turn resolution so the two artillery pices have new movement orders back to Wuhu with a progress of zero.

I aslo never give follow orders for LCUs. Instead I order one to move and then hit "set all to march" rather than "all to follow".

I meant that using the updated movement code, the units stayed in the hex.

Michael

(in reply to HansBolter)
Post #: 18
RE: Movement Bug - 9/17/2012 4:06:10 PM   
SqzMyLemon

This is just to bump this topic back up since it's just occurred in my PBEM against JocMeister. I'll contact him to post the issue and see if michaelm can help once again. In my situation, setting the units back to combat move did not resolve the issue. I was forced to change my route and enter from a completely different direction, causing weeks of delay and compromising my game.

(in reply to michaelm)
Post #: 19
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Tech Support >> Movement Bug Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI