Matrix Games Forums

Command gets huge update!Order of Battle: Pacific Featured on Weekly Streaming SessionA new fight for Battle Academy!Buzz Aldrin's Space Program Manager is out for Mac!The definitive wargame of the Western Front is out now! War in the West gets teaser trailer and Twitch Stream!New Preview AAR for War in the West!War in the West Manual previewThe fight for Armageddon begins! The Matrix Holiday sales are starting today!
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

CS to CVL conversion...the scoop

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> The War Room >> CS to CVL conversion...the scoop Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
CS to CVL conversion...the scoop - 1/28/2012 5:56:48 AM   
Krigan

After having muddled through the mystery that surrounds the scout cruiser conversions I thought I would lay out what I have learned for the benifit of others. If you are reading this you may have decided the convert some or all of your scout cruisers to CVL's. If you are unsure there are several threads laying out the pro's and con's.

This information applies to Scenario 1, with the latest offical patch, V1.0.4.11o6i
You start the scenario with 3 scout cruisers, Mizuho, Chitose, and Chiyoda, a fourth cruiser, Nisshin will arrive about 3 months into the game.
If you decide to do the conversions I strongly reccomend that you do it as soon as they become available. It takes 300 days to complete.

The Chitose and Chiyoda are treated as "Upgrades". This means that if you have the default set to "Yes" on the main ship display, when all the conditions are met, they will automatically begin to upgrade to CVL's when disbanded into the proper port. Here's the rub, on these two ships not all the conditions for upgrade are apparent. You may upgrade these ships as of Nov. 1, 1942. They require a "repair" yard of 50. These two ships can only be upgraded in TOKYO. In scenario 1 the Tokyo repair yard starts at 10, you will need to build it up to 50 before Nov. 1, 1942. Leave the two float plane squadrons on the ships, they will upgrade to a fighter squadron (21 planes) and a torpedo squadron (9 planes). The CVL now has 27 torpedos and the capacity has gone fron 24 to 30 planes. If you pull the float plane squadrons off before conversion they will not upgrade and will remain as float planes.

The Mizuho and Nisshin are treated as "Conversions". This means you must disband them into a proper port and click through the conversion buttons. You may convert these two scout cruisers on Dec. 1, 1942. They require a "Repair" yard of 25. Any repair yard will do. You may remove the float plane squadrons before conversion or not. These squadrons do not upgrade and will be place on the airfield at the port if they are left on board. These CVL's have no torpedo capacity but the plane capacity has improved to 30. The Mizhho will gain 2 knots of speed, from 22 to 24. (Racing heart don't fail me now!)

I hope this helps. If I have missed anything please add it.

Kris
Post #: 1
RE: CS to CVL conversion...the scoop - 1/28/2012 7:17:23 AM   
sanderz

thanks - wasn't aware of the squadron upgrades

(in reply to Krigan)
Post #: 2
RE: CS to CVL conversion...the scoop - 1/28/2012 9:06:28 AM   
Insano

thanks Krigan - that's a nice summary

(in reply to sanderz)
Post #: 3
RE: CS to CVL conversion...the scoop - 1/28/2012 1:54:13 PM   
Shark7

It's worth it to convert all 4, since you will have extra A6M and D4Y squadrons available that can be moved to these ships. While they are only carrier capable, not carrier trained, they will take more ops losses, but they become mobile rather than locked to land bases.

Distant Worlds Fan

'When in doubt...attack!'

(in reply to Insano)
Post #: 4
RE: CS to CVL conversion...the scoop - 1/28/2012 2:09:58 PM   
Chickenboy

Very nice summary, Krigan!

I've converted all four units. At first, I regretting stripping Chitose and Chiyoda of their float planes-which have been reassigned elsewhere for naval scouting purposes. However, as Shark7 is pointing out, there are other IJNAF units that can be "pieced out" and adapted to use on the conversions / upgrades when they become available.

There are other IJ players that swear by the versatility of the CS ships. Having that number of dedicated scout planes (with Jakes @ range 8/10!) is quite useful as an adjunct to the KB proper. IJ naval search capabilities are (as per IRL) underwhelming. Anything helping reverse this trend is beneficial.

(in reply to Krigan)
Post #: 5
RE: CS to CVL conversion...the scoop - 2/1/2012 2:51:41 AM   
scout1

thanks for the info ..... couldn't figure out why I couldn't convert .... now I understand .... and perhaps in the next game, I'll take advantage of .....

(in reply to Krigan)
Post #: 6
RE: CS to CVL conversion...the scoop - 2/1/2012 8:25:54 PM   
d0mbo

Still on the fence about converting the two 'fast' cruisers. The conversion of the squadrons, which i wasn't aware of, might tip the balance towards conversion.

The two slower ones will be converted to operate with mini kb (if that still exists by that time). The added two knots are a nice bonus.

Just my $ 0.02.

(in reply to scout1)
Post #: 7
RE: CS to CVL conversion...the scoop - 2/1/2012 8:45:27 PM   
John Lansford

All I know is that, in the Ironman campaign, the three scout cruisers plus a CVL aren't equal to two USN CV's. The AI sent the four CS/CVL's SE towards Noumea, I intercepted them with Lex and Yorktown, and pounded all four into scrap without getting a hit in return.

(in reply to d0mbo)
Post #: 8
RE: CS to CVL conversion...the scoop - 2/1/2012 9:17:25 PM   
LargeSlowTarget

quote:

ORIGINAL: Chickenboy

IJ naval search capabilities are (as per IRL) underwhelming. Anything helping reverse this trend is beneficial.

Boost Jake production and use Chitose and Chiyoda to resize the numerous land-based float plane units to 24 planes each .

Carpe Cerevisiam

WitP AAR "Six Years of War"

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 9
RE: CS to CVL conversion...the scoop - 2/1/2012 9:25:30 PM   
nashvillen

quote:

ORIGINAL: LargeSlowTarget

quote:

ORIGINAL: Chickenboy

IJ naval search capabilities are (as per IRL) underwhelming. Anything helping reverse this trend is beneficial.

Boost Jake production and use Chitose and Chiyoda to resize the numerous land-based float plane units to 24 planes each .

This is something to do. Take all the second squadrons off of your BBs and CAs, have the ones left over resize for the ship, giving you a full capability on them. Take the other squadrons and cycle them through the Chitose and Chiyoda making them 20+ sized squadrons and have them based around the interior of your Empire searching your trade routes. A found sub is a neutralized sub!

(in reply to LargeSlowTarget)
Post #: 10
RE: CS to CVL conversion...the scoop - 2/1/2012 9:35:38 PM   
LargeSlowTarget

Exactly - nice ASW assets!

Haven't thought about the BB/CA groups -

< Message edited by LargeSlowTarget -- 2/1/2012 9:41:01 PM >

Carpe Cerevisiam

WitP AAR "Six Years of War"

(in reply to nashvillen)
Post #: 11
RE: CS to CVL conversion...the scoop - 2/1/2012 9:44:24 PM   
nashvillen

You do need a lot of Jakes to fill these out, and I mean a lot of Jakes. A good place to put fresh from pilot training personnel also. They will build skills quickly and be available for other search squadrons later as you need them.

(in reply to LargeSlowTarget)
Post #: 12
RE: CS to CVL conversion...the scoop - 2/2/2012 6:27:24 AM   
John 3rd

I concur on the re-sizing of the FP Groups. Make sure you place the CS in the RIGHT Port because they will only upgrade in Tokyo. Prior to the conversion I always fly off those 48 FP and they go into solid ASW work down in the bottleneck near Palembang, Singapore, and Batavia.

Member: Treaty, Reluctant Admiral and Between the Storms Mod Team.

Reluctant Admiral Mod:
https://sites.google.com/site/reluctantadmiral/

(in reply to nashvillen)
Post #: 13
RE: CS to CVL conversion...the scoop - 2/2/2012 8:59:52 PM   
Skyros

I think there is a reinforcement of 430415 for Mizuho and Nisshin that consists of 21 fighters and 9 torpedo bombers.

(in reply to John 3rd)
Post #: 14
RE: CS to CVL conversion...the scoop - 2/2/2012 9:17:33 PM   
Skyros

The editor also shows Nisshin getting torpedos in 12/42, but Mizuho not gettting them till 7/44. This could be an error in the DB since the torpedo count of 27 is in the armor slot but a weapon is not selected for 12/42.

(in reply to Skyros)
Post #: 15
RE: CS to CVL conversion...the scoop - 3/29/2013 12:23:17 PM   
cohimbra

Up!

(in reply to Skyros)
Post #: 16
RE: CS to CVL conversion...the scoop - 3/31/2013 8:37:40 AM   
goodboyladdie

That tip for expanding floatplane airgroups is fantastic. I must remember to increase Jake production. I am not building Rufes in my PBEM with Dixie but now have 24 pilots sharing 3 planes, so might have to crank some out...

Art by the amazing Dixie

(in reply to cohimbra)
Post #: 17
RE: CS to CVL conversion...the scoop - 3/31/2013 3:00:12 PM   
Chickenboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: goodboyladdie

That tip for expanding floatplane airgroups is fantastic. I must remember to increase Jake production. I am not building Rufes in my PBEM with Dixie but now have 24 pilots sharing 3 planes, so might have to crank some out...

I am producing 50/month in my PBEM and, as of April 1942, am still behind the curve in terms of replacing all of the bollocks FP models out there.

(in reply to goodboyladdie)
Post #: 18
RE: CS to CVL conversion...the scoop - 3/31/2013 3:10:36 PM   
nashvillen

I was producing 90 a month up until late 1944 when I had to cut back production to conserve HI. I have a sufficient supply for now, and will just turn the factory on as I need them from now until the end of the way. Float planes are really hard to suppress as you can't put holes in their airfield.

You can keep two squadrons of 24 each on an Island like Truk and have 360 degree visibility out to 10 hexes all the time. When you see a allied TF move by you can bring in torpedo bombers and hit it the following day. I have sunk many a xAK, a few TKs, and even some APAs and BBs this way!

If you can see them, you can sink them!

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 19
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> The War Room >> CS to CVL conversion...the scoop Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI