Matrix Games Forums

Deal of the Week: Command Ops goes half price!New Fronts are opening up for Commander: The Great WarCharacters of World War 1Sign of for the Pike and Shot Beta!More Games are Coming to Steam! Return to the Moon on October 31st! Commander: The Great War iPad Wallpapers Generals of the Great WarDeal of the Week Panzer CorpsNew Strategy Titles Join the Family
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Well come on then!!

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command Ops Series >> Well come on then!! Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Well come on then!! - 1/27/2012 11:51:50 AM   
wodin

Surely someone has played a HTTR scenario by now? Thoughts please...

My Tactical wargame facebook page.

https://www.facebook.com/Tacticalwargame

Post #: 1
RE: Well come on then!! - 1/27/2012 12:52:56 PM   
phoenix

I had a shot a Joe's bridge, twice. I do not recall all those airstrikes. Are they new? Like 12 airstrikes in the first couple of hours. Very nice (though not sure what effect they had as I still lost, twice). I couldn't win the scenario, I found, as I used to in HTTR, just by giving the OMB a sieze bridge command, sitting back and watching.

Then I moved onto From the Rhine to the Meuse and I'm taking it very slowly. Love it. Fantastic to see the two major objectives there. (Shame we couldn't get in Son and Eindhoven and fit the entire op - ungrateful? me?) No probs so far. I'm happy - been waiting for a long time for this. It's such a 'romantic' op - to pull off this daring airborne coup and 'end the war by christmas'. And it's the allies being daring and attacking, which suits me much more. Love it so far.

(in reply to wodin)
Post #: 2
RE: Well come on then!! - 1/27/2012 1:01:28 PM   
iAM.stormer

Unfortunately no. I only use PayPal now, so I have to wait. And it's tough, because I've really been waiting for this. But I hope they fix it soon.

(in reply to phoenix)
Post #: 3
RE: Well come on then!! - 1/28/2012 2:55:40 AM   
JeffK

quote:

ORIGINAL: phoenix

I had a shot a Joe's bridge, twice. I do not recall all those airstrikes. Are they new? Like 12 airstrikes in the first couple of hours. Very nice (though not sure what effect they had as I still lost, twice). I couldn't win the scenario, I found, as I used to in HTTR, just by giving the OMB a sieze bridge command, sitting back and watching.

Then I moved onto From the Rhine to the Meuse and I'm taking it very slowly. Love it. Fantastic to see the two major objectives there. (Shame we couldn't get in Son and Eindhoven and fit the entire op - ungrateful? me?) No probs so far. I'm happy - been waiting for a long time for this. It's such a 'romantic' op - to pull off this daring airborne coup and 'end the war by christmas'. And it's the allies being daring and attacking, which suits me much more. Love it so far.

Played Joes Bridge as the Irish and found it more of a battle. Yes the Bridge AA was tough. Got a marginal victory as though I occupied la Colonie there where too many pesky Fallschirm hiding in the woods.

I am dissapointed some of the old HTTR scenario are missing, I hope someone is smart enough to get them going.

Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum

(in reply to phoenix)
Post #: 4
RE: Well come on then!! - 1/28/2012 10:23:44 AM   
JudgeDredd

quote:

ORIGINAL: iAM.stormer

Unfortunately no. I only use PayPal now, so I have to wait. And it's tough, because I've really been waiting for this. But I hope they fix it soon.

Paypal became available yesterday

JudgeDredd
I AM the Law!

(in reply to iAM.stormer)
Post #: 5
RE: Well come on then!! - 1/29/2012 1:31:24 AM   
JeffK

Breakout from Joes Bridge:
I Lost.
Had XXX Corps at Aalst and the 506th just taking the north end of the bridge in Eindhoven.  I reckon I might have been in Eindohoven by nightfall.

My lack of experience saw a bit of a traffic jam, maybe this is historical?

You really have to get a handle on your overwhelming Arty & Airpower to smash any defenders

Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum

(in reply to JudgeDredd)
Post #: 6
RE: Well come on then!! - 1/29/2012 1:57:32 AM   
Jim D Burns

quote:

ORIGINAL: wodin

Surely someone has played a HTTR scenario by now? Thoughts please...

Started the Meuse to the Rhine scenario (big one that covers both the 82nd and 1st Airborne areas), only a few hours in but am thoroughly enjoying it. Tried a rush to take the Nijmegen bridge, but my skills with the system are rusty and German reinforcements just flooded in across from the north just as my assault got underway and my guys are now getting hammered and retreating a bit. I may have been able to get across had I not dallied around so much setting up my push north (playing with the longest command delay settings). It’s still in doubt but looks bad as I can see lots more stuff along the road to the north, all of it streaming south.

This is the scenario that convinced me to buy both titles (need BFTB to play this expansion). It’s not the whole campaign, but it’s a move in the right direction, I’m just not interested in the smaller scale scenarios. Hopefully someday the engine will be capable enough to cover the whole enchilada no matter how big the full campaigns are, then I’d be a sight unseen buyer with this series.

Jim

(in reply to wodin)
Post #: 7
RE: Well come on then!! - 1/29/2012 2:07:27 AM   
wodin

I like the idea of a campaign system where units carry over, however if the series just went on to do mega scenarios I wouldn't buy one again. Personally it would kill the game for me. I'd lose immersion and just see hundreds of moving squares where my attention will be everywhere yet at the same time on nothing. Division is about the highest I really like and thats the limit.

(in reply to Jim D Burns)
Post #: 8
RE: Well come on then!! - 1/29/2012 2:21:44 AM   
Jim D Burns

You must be micromanaging your companies or something. I generally like to keep orders at regimental level and might detach a battalion once in a while for a side mission, but generally I try to get it reattached ASAP if possible to keep it under regimental command.

So to me a division is 2 or 3 main commands with maybe one or two independent commands at various times. Not a lot to keep track of, so for me I want more stuff not less. I guess if I went micro and tried to order every single company it could get overwhelming, but the beauty of the system is there is no need for that, the AI does a fair job of carrying out orders and since it’s the same AI you’re playing against it keeps the nuts and bolts of the fighting relatively fair if you let your cyber colonels handle the small stuff and try not to take advantage of the opposing AI.

That said, the system has plenty of small scenarios as it is, I see no reason that should end. It’s the addition of the big stuff that would attract more players I think, and I’m one of them. I had no intention of buying BFTB due to no campaign scenario. The fact they included one in the new HTTR convinced me they want to try and grow the system to cover larger stuff, so I decided to support them with my dollars.

Jim

(in reply to wodin)
Post #: 9
RE: Well come on then!! - 1/29/2012 2:39:03 AM   
freeboy

ok// I am playing the Arnhem one as German, anyway its the same scenario from the origonal, LOVING moving my troops against unsupported paras... the greatest troops in the world cannot over come no supplies and tigers!
I am up to day three morning, the Poles just landed...at end of day two... I am trying to over run the supply hq's and totally on the offensive at this point...
my one thought is the normal setting for c and c is too fast ...

Post #: 10
RE: Well come on then!! - 1/29/2012 3:19:24 AM   
freeboy

The Brits paras keep trying for the secondary obj which is the rail bridge.. they have taken and lost one end numerous times...
I am massing for a finishing attack against the hq depot ffor the poles... great fun

(in reply to freeboy)
Post #: 11
RE: Well come on then!! - 1/29/2012 4:32:14 PM   
wodin

quote:

ORIGINAL: Jim D Burns

You must be micromanaging your companies or something. I generally like to keep orders at regimental level and might detach a battalion once in a while for a side mission, but generally I try to get it reattached ASAP if possible to keep it under regimental command.

So to me a division is 2 or 3 main commands with maybe one or two independent commands at various times. Not a lot to keep track of, so for me I want more stuff not less. I guess if I went micro and tried to order every single company it could get overwhelming, but the beauty of the system is there is no need for that, the AI does a fair job of carrying out orders and since it’s the same AI you’re playing against it keeps the nuts and bolts of the fighting relatively fair if you let your cyber colonels handle the small stuff and try not to take advantage of the opposing AI.

That said, the system has plenty of small scenarios as it is, I see no reason that should end. It’s the addition of the big stuff that would attract more players I think, and I’m one of them. I had no intention of buying BFTB due to no campaign scenario. The fact they included one in the new HTTR convinced me they want to try and grow the system to cover larger stuff, so I decided to support them with my dollars.

Jim

No it's nothing to do with micro management...I usually play giving orders to battalion occasionally brigade...It's to do with immersion and being able to visualise exactly whats going on and where. With larger scenarios the personal level has gone as my imagination can't cope with so many units.

I'm having a hard job trying to explain it, but it certainly isn't micromanagement issues.

Post #: 12
RE: Well come on then!! - 1/29/2012 4:40:46 PM   
phoenix

But you say your favourite game is CM2, Wodin - yet the amount of action you have to keep track of in that - even in the company level scenarios - is completely bewildering for me. It's very difficult, I find, to plan a two-pronged action, for instance, because you cannot keep detailed track of what is happening across the other side of the map. And you NEED to keep tight control, because the AI does virtually nothing useful. CO is much better in these respects, I think. At least you can zoom out and see where things might be happening across the battlefield. If you zoom out CM2 enough to see all units then you no longer have enough info to work out what is going on. No?

I'd dearly like to know how people get into games like CMBN, because this need to micromanage makes it unrealistic, in a very basic way, for me - because you cannot, often, keep track of what is going on in enough detail to issue meaningful orders, and the AI doesn't do it for you (except in a basic sense). I think - every time I play it I think this - it would be a great game if it had the Panther engine! So you could give commands to your HQs and then tinker afterwards.

(in reply to wodin)
Post #: 13
RE: Well come on then!! - 1/29/2012 5:00:35 PM   
wodin

I always find tactical level games easy to get immersed into. Thats why it's my favorite scale. It's when you start getting into larger scales that I need help in staying immersed in due to the more abstract nature of them, thats why smaller scenarios over a few days I prefer.

As I said this has nothing to do with managing the game per se but todo with immersion and the loss of it. As I said before it HAS NOTHING todo with micromanagement or realism or anything like that but immersion.

(in reply to phoenix)
Post #: 14
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command Ops Series >> Well come on then!! Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI