Matrix Games Forums

Buzz Aldrins Space Program Manager is now available!Space Program Manager gets mini-site and Twitch SessionBuzz Aldrin: Ask Me Anything (AMA) on redditDeal of the week Fantasy Kommander: Eukarion WarsSpace Program Manager Launch Contest Announced!Battle Academy 2 is out now on iPad!A closer look at rockets in Space Program ManagerDeal of the Week - Pride of NationsA new update for Piercing Fortress EuropaNew screenshots for War in the West!
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Q reg. Allied replacement ships (eg Wasp II, Chigaco II etc.)

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Q reg. Allied replacement ships (eg Wasp II, Chigaco II etc.) Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Q reg. Allied replacement ships (eg Wasp II, Chigaco II... - 1/27/2012 11:31:32 AM   
Alpha77

Ok, I play Allies and noticed I get ships as reeinforcements named like Wasp II, Chicago II etc.... I read in the manual that these should come online as replacements for sunk ships. Means Wasp I should be sunk and then be replaced after quite a while by Wasp II.

However I got Yorktown II, Wasp II and much more but none of these ships were sunk. So I figured this should be an error in my old game version which is corrected in a newer one. But I read in an AAR from an up to date game version a Combat report where both Wasp I and Wasp II fight together. A bit ridiculous or am I wrong and missing something here ?

< Message edited by Alpha77 -- 1/27/2012 11:35:52 AM >
Post #: 1
RE: Q reg. Allied replacement ships (eg Wasp II, Chigac... - 1/27/2012 12:05:32 PM   
Alfred

Yes, you are wrong.

You get those ships irrespective of whether or not the original named vessel is sunk ingame.

Alfred

(in reply to Alpha77)
Post #: 2
RE: Q reg. Allied replacement ships (eg Wasp II, Chigac... - 1/27/2012 12:07:12 PM   
Alpha77

But why

(in reply to Alfred)
Post #: 3
RE: Q reg. Allied replacement ships (eg Wasp II, Chigac... - 1/27/2012 12:12:18 PM   
Alfred

Because those hulls were laid down and commissioned historically. To not have them in the game would short change the Allied player.

Alfred

(in reply to Alpha77)
Post #: 4
RE: Q reg. Allied replacement ships (eg Wasp II, Chigac... - 1/27/2012 12:21:59 PM   
Alpha77

Right, but in reality the "original" ships were lost......

CV-18 Wasp
(ex-Oriskany) FRSY Sep 1940 Mar 1942 Aug 1943

CV-12 Hornet
(ex-Kearsarge) NNSD Sep 1940 Aug 1942 Aug 1943

CV-10 Yorktown
(ex-Bon Homme Richard) NNSD May 1940 Dec 1941 Jan 1943

So they should also apear in game only if orig. ships lost imo

(in reply to Alfred)
Post #: 5
RE: Q reg. Allied replacement ships (eg Wasp II, Chigac... - 1/27/2012 12:29:39 PM   
obvert

The new ships were already in the shipyards and were simply renamed for the ships lost. If you don't want the originals, I'm sure you could find a productive method to dispose of them!

(in reply to Alpha77)
Post #: 6
RE: Q reg. Allied replacement ships (eg Wasp II, Chigac... - 1/27/2012 12:34:14 PM   
Alpha77

Ok after another coffee I got it

(in reply to obvert)
Post #: 7
RE: Q reg. Allied replacement ships (eg Wasp II, Chigac... - 1/27/2012 12:59:45 PM   
Iron Duke

I believe ships with a 'II' in their name can be renamed whilst still in the reinforcment queue

"Bombers outpacing fighters - you've got to bloody well laugh!" Australian Buffalo pilot - Singapore

(in reply to Alpha77)
Post #: 8
RE: Q reg. Allied replacement ships (eg Wasp II, Chigac... - 1/27/2012 1:06:53 PM   
Alfred

quote:

ORIGINAL: Iron Duke

I believe ships with a 'II' in their name can be renamed whilst still in the reinforcment queue

Correct.

Alfred

(in reply to Iron Duke)
Post #: 9
RE: Q reg. Allied replacement ships (eg Wasp II, Chigac... - 1/27/2012 1:53:18 PM   
goatan

quote:

ORIGINAL: Alfred

quote:

Correct.

Alfred

Another feature I never knew about, I think one of them is about to become the USS Honeybadger.

(in reply to Alfred)
Post #: 10
RE: Q reg. Allied replacement ships (eg Wasp II, Chigac... - 1/27/2012 2:15:14 PM   
crsutton

quote:

ORIGINAL: goatan

quote:

quote:

Correct.

Alfred

Another feature I never knew about, I think one of them is about to become the USS Honeybadger.

I had the USS Whupass, but changed it. Now it have the, Bumblebee, Black Widow, Scorpion ,and so on. Changed one of the Baltimore class CA to Pawtucket, another is Tombstone. Was going to name one after me but don't think I could take the heartache if it got sunk....

I am the Holy Roman Emperor and am above grammar.

Sigismund of Luxemburg

(in reply to goatan)
Post #: 11
RE: Q reg. Allied replacement ships (eg Wasp II, Chigac... - 1/27/2012 2:24:58 PM   
jeffk3510

quote:

quote:

quote:

Correct.

Alfred

I hear HoneyBadger everywhere I go... I can't get away from it!!!

Follow our WiTPAE team PBEM game against bilbow and hartwig.modrow http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=2965846&mpage=1&key=?

Follow my WITPAE PBEM game against Schanilec. http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=3495605

(in reply to goatan)
Post #: 12
RE: Q reg. Allied replacement ships (eg Wasp II, Chigac... - 1/27/2012 4:25:15 PM   
bradfordkay

I am waiting until the last moment before renaming the ships. If I lost the original, the "II" will be removed from the ship's name. If by the day before it arrives I still have not lost the original the ship will receive a name appropriate for it's class. My first non-replacement carrier will be named "Constellation". I think that my second will be "Chesapeake", if I am so lucky as to get that far along without losing another carrier... 

fair winds,
Brad

(in reply to jeffk3510)
Post #: 13
RE: Q reg. Allied replacement ships (eg Wasp II, Chigac... - 1/27/2012 4:47:38 PM   
dr.hal

Wow, I didn't know you could rename them... that's great as I don't want my electronic Admirals to be confuses, as they act that way all on their own all too often!

(in reply to bradfordkay)
Post #: 14
RE: Q reg. Allied replacement ships (eg Wasp II, Chigac... - 1/27/2012 6:22:06 PM   
Alpha77

You can NOT rename all of em, you will noticed this the colour is yellow I believe of the ship name, click on it.....

Btw: How about USS Adolf Hitler

(in reply to dr.hal)
Post #: 15
RE: Q reg. Allied replacement ships (eg Wasp II, Chigac... - 1/27/2012 6:28:52 PM   
bradfordkay

You can only rename the ships with a "II" apended to their names. If it is a ship that I have lost, such as the Yorktown whose replacement arrived recently, then I just remove the "II" from the name. If it is a ship which I haven't yet lost, such as the Lexington, then I will wait until the day before it arrives to give it a new name. You cannot rename the ships once they have arrived on the board; you can only rename them while they are still in the queue.

fair winds,
Brad

(in reply to Alpha77)
Post #: 16
RE: Q reg. Allied replacement ships (eg Wasp II, Chigac... - 1/27/2012 6:38:49 PM   
Schanilec

quote:

ORIGINAL: jeffk3510

quote:

quote:

quote:

Correct.

Alfred

I hear HoneyBadger everywhere I go... I can't get away from it!!!

Start humming the Brady Bunch theme song.

This is one Czech that doesn't bounce.

(in reply to jeffk3510)
Post #: 17
RE: Q reg. Allied replacement ships (eg Wasp II, Chigac... - 1/28/2012 7:46:00 AM   
Gunner98

You need to be careful with simply re-naming the -'II's with their original hull names though

CV-10 - Yorktown II was laid down as - Bon Homme Richard and then that name was assigned to CV-31
CV-12 - Hornet II was laid down as - Kearsarge and that name was then used for CV-33
CV-16 - Lexington II was laid down as - Cabot and then that name was used for CVL-28
CV-18 - Wasp II was laid down as - Oriskany and which was used for CV-34 (although I don't think it shows up in the game)

So instead of Hornet, Hornet II and Kearsarge, you could end up with Hornet, Kearsarge and Kearsarge - and once the ship is in game you are stuck with the name. I did this once when the game first came out

This probably holds true for the CA's as well but I haven't checked

B

(in reply to Schanilec)
Post #: 18
RE: Q reg. Allied replacement ships (eg Wasp II, Chigac... - 1/28/2012 6:22:47 PM   
msieving1

Essex class names that don't appear in the game:

LEYTE
ORISKANY
REPRISAL
VALLEY FORGE
IWO JIMA
PHILIPPINE SEA

I've always liked the name Reprisal, myself. Reprisal was the name given to CV-35, but the ship was cancelled and the name was never used. The name was also given briefly to CVL-30 before that ship was renamed Bataan.

CVL-27 was to have been named Crown Point, before the name was changed to Langley.

< Message edited by msieving1 -- 1/28/2012 6:29:53 PM >

(in reply to Gunner98)
Post #: 19
RE: Q reg. Allied replacement ships (eg Wasp II, Chigac... - 1/28/2012 6:46:37 PM   
Gräfin Zeppelin

Why not name them after sunk Japanese carriers ? U.S.S Soryu...*snickers*

< Message edited by Gräfin Zeppelin -- 1/28/2012 6:47:18 PM >

(in reply to msieving1)
Post #: 20
RE: Q reg. Allied replacement ships (eg Wasp II, Chigac... - 1/28/2012 9:42:26 PM   
AW1Steve

There is a early USN tradition of that . Early warships included Boxer, Macedonia,Java and Guerre (all named for captured British warships). The current USN fleet includes a USS Boxer , to commemorate the HMS Boxer taken by USS Enterprise in the "Battle of Casco Bay" in 1813.

"Geezerhood is a state of mind, attained by being largely out of yours". AW1Steve

"Quit whining and play the game. Or go home". My 7th grade baseball coach. It applies well to WITP AE players.

(in reply to Gräfin Zeppelin)
Post #: 21
RE: Q reg. Allied replacement ships (eg Wasp II, Chigac... - 1/28/2012 10:52:38 PM   
Gräfin Zeppelin

quote:

ORIGINAL: AW1Steve

There is a early USN tradition of that . Early warships included Boxer, Macedonia,Java and Guerre (all named for captured British warships). The current USN fleet includes a USS Boxer , to commemorate the HMS Boxer taken by USS Enterprise in the "Battle of Casco Bay" in 1813.

Hahaha this has some style I must say. Imagine all had done that and one day we would have a showdown between the HMS Bismark and the KMS Hood.

(in reply to AW1Steve)
Post #: 22
RE: Q reg. Allied replacement ships (eg Wasp II, Chigac... - 1/29/2012 3:15:12 AM   
Kubel

For the fun of it I named sme of my II's as

USS Chesty Puller After the 7th Marines got wiped out in my PBEM game.
USS J R Tolkien because my opponent was a LOTR fan, as am I
USS Wake after the KB Slaughtered me near the island in mid 43.

Just for the fun of it I did.

Don
"Our profession should always be crowned by heroic death in battle" Generalfeldmarschall Fedor von Bock

Post #: 23
RE: Q reg. Allied replacement ships (eg Wasp II, Chigac... - 1/29/2012 4:21:55 AM   
AW1Steve

quote:

ORIGINAL: Gräfin Zeppelin

quote:

ORIGINAL: AW1Steve

Hahaha this has some style I must say. Imagine all had done that and one day we would have a showdown between the HMS Bismark and the KMS Hood.

Both the British and French did the same during the Napoleonic wars. Look at some of the ships involved and you'll see what I mean. You can't tell the side by the name.

"Geezerhood is a state of mind, attained by being largely out of yours". AW1Steve

"Quit whining and play the game. Or go home". My 7th grade baseball coach. It applies well to WITP AE players.

Post #: 24
RE: Q reg. Allied replacement ships (eg Wasp II, Chigac... - 1/29/2012 5:44:48 AM   
Admiral Mitscher

After some research and sole searching, I renamed my CV's;

CV-10 - Yorktown II -USS Crown Point
CV-12 - Hornet II -USS Valley Forge
CV-16 - Lexington II -USS Diamond Island
CV-18 - Wasp II -USS Oriskany

I wanted to keep the main theme of the Essex class names, and that is of War of Independence battles.

(in reply to AW1Steve)
Post #: 25
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Q reg. Allied replacement ships (eg Wasp II, Chigaco II etc.) Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI