Taking arms against a sea of troubles...(no Mike 29)

Post descriptions of your brilliant victories and unfortunate defeats here.

Moderators: Joel Billings, Sabre21

JAMiAM

Taking arms against a sea of troubles...(no Mike 29)

Post by JAMiAM »

A couple of weeks ago, I was asked by Toidi if I would take over a game that he had going with Mike29. You can read his AAR thread here. Toidi had become disillusioned with various aspects of the game, and wanted to quit playing WitE altogether, but did not want to leave his opponent in the lurch. Given that the game was one with Random Weather, Toidi recalled from my various forum posts that I only play random weather games, and figured I was a likely candidate for being a permanent substitute for him in the game.

After reviewing the turn that Toidi had originally sent, of his nearly completed turn 38, I asked him if I could see the start of the turn. I was unhappy with his mass withdrawal away from the Axis units surrounding nearly 200k men in the Ukraine. Clearly his enjoyment of the game, and what I felt to be a failed personal "morale" roll, was due to the situation that he (like so many other Soviet players) found himself in, during "March Madness".

While it was clear that there wasn't anything that I could immediately do to rescue the trapped Soviets, the game, overall, looked to be both interesting, as well as "normal". Interesting in that the Soviets were, in my opinion, operating under their potential, yet normal in that the OOBs, overall losses, and territorial positioning of the forces on both sides were rather typical of most 1.05 games that I've seen. Neither player seemed to have been making any critical mistakes, and the game was at a very good and balanced state for this stage of the game, the last month of the first winter.

I had to first determine the overall state of the Red Army, Air Force, and supporting forces. My main concern was the generally run-down condition of the Soviet front line units, while what I felt to be an over abundance of forces were tied down in the rear, getting fat, dumb and happy, occupying fort lines that I felt were overly redundant.

Now, I realize that the common wisdom is for the Soviet player to build multiple fall back lines, and to maintain large numbers of deep strategic reserves. However, I felt that Toidi had perhaps taken this to an extreme, to the detriment of his front line. What I felt he was allowing was the piecemeal destruction of his front line forces, by not actively committing enough of his reserves to gain parity with, or superiority over, his counterpart. So, what follows will be my chronicle of a massive rethinking of Soviet 1942 strategy and tactics. I hope to add some new twists to Soviet play, and to avoid crashing and burning due to my throwing out the rulebook of conventional wisdom...[:D]

This first screenshot shows a zoomed out view of the North, as I got the turn from Toidi. Things are relatively stable, due to the good defensive terrain. German and Finnish forces are making a handful of attacks, driving back Soviets here and there, but no massive concentrations of mobile units are noted.

Attachments
01NorthBig.jpg
01NorthBig.jpg (663.03 KiB) Viewed 182 times
JAMiAM

RE: Taking arms against a sea of troubles...(no Mike 29)

Post by JAMiAM »

Mike29 was kind enough to let me replay turn 38 from the start, so that I could do what I could to make it "my own". I mentioned that I wasn't happy that Toidi had turned away from the fight in the Ukraine, and I saw many opportunities for Soviet attacks this turn against exposed, or weak Axis units. Though Toidi had done an admirable job in getting Guards units during his tenure, I wanted to accelerate this, as well as to begin contesting and controlling the operational tempo that he had allowed Mike to wrest away from him over the last couple of turns.

This picture shows roughly the same territory as the one immediately above, but at the end of my turn 38. Of course, at this zoom resolution, things aren't going to look all that different. Especially up here where there were no real emergencies to deal with.

Attachments
038-NorthBig.jpg
038-NorthBig.jpg (673.89 KiB) Viewed 182 times
JAMiAM

Post by JAMiAM »

In the Center, at the end of Toidi's turn 38. He has "reserves" all over the place, but it is a real mashup of depleted units, full strength units, and everything in between. Many are occupying fall back lines, that are really far back from the frontlines. I estimate that he has been fighting Mike with only about 25% of his force, and those forces are really tired and spent. No wonder that Mike was able to roll him over as soon as he got some non-blizzard turns - even before "March Madness".

Attachments
01-CenterBig.jpg
01-CenterBig.jpg (588.94 KiB) Viewed 182 times
JAMiAM

Post by JAMiAM »

This is a more zoomed in shot from the Center, at the end of Toidi's turn 38. Forces are in decent shape here, but I want to put the Soviet Army on a more offensively oriented stance. Some of these reserves are going to be thrown into battle, both locally, as well as being shipped off to the Ukraine to deal with the developing disaster there.

Oops...nevermind. After uploading the screenshot, I realized that I had somehow overwritten it with a different picture.
JAMiAM

Post by JAMiAM »

Moving right along...[;)]

Here is a shot of my Center, at the end of the turn. Again, at this zoom level it is hard to see detail, but you might notice that some of the boondock reserves have been moved, merged, and repositioned to places where I feel they will do more good.

Attachments
038-CenterBig.jpg
038-CenterBig.jpg (654.38 KiB) Viewed 182 times
JAMiAM

Post by JAMiAM »

This shows the "big picture" in the South, at the end of Toidi's turn 38. He has withdrawn to the Stalino urban area, leaving about 200k brave Soviets trapped with zero hope of rescue. He has been sent off to the Gulag for some reeducation.

Attachments
01-SouthBig.jpg
01-SouthBig.jpg (528.04 KiB) Viewed 182 times
JAMiAM

Post by JAMiAM »

This shows the "big picture" at the end of my turn 38. I may not be able to relieve those trapped forces, but I am damned sure going to give them some hope...[:D]

Attachments
038-SouthBig.jpg
038-SouthBig.jpg (584.43 KiB) Viewed 182 times
JAMiAM

Post by JAMiAM »

Here is a shot, in detail, of part of the South, at the end of Toidi's turn 38.

Attachments
01-SouthDetail-A.jpg
01-SouthDetail-A.jpg (575.47 KiB) Viewed 182 times
JAMiAM

Post by JAMiAM »

By comparison, my more aggressive defense.

Attachments
038_SouthDetail-A.jpg
038_SouthDetail-A.jpg (610.56 KiB) Viewed 182 times
JAMiAM

Post by JAMiAM »

A detailed shot of the front from Zaporozhye to the Black Sea, at the end of Toidi's turn 38.

Attachments
01-SouthDetail-B.jpg
01-SouthDetail-B.jpg (446.08 KiB) Viewed 182 times
JAMiAM

Post by JAMiAM »

And my repositioning of forces in the same area.

Attachments
038_SouthDetail-B.jpg
038_SouthDetail-B.jpg (474.29 KiB) Viewed 182 times
JAMiAM

Post by JAMiAM »

Losses at the end of Toidi's turn 38. I didn't include the OOB in this shot, as it won't vary too much from the one in the next post. The difference will be due to the difference in combat results over the turn.

Attachments
001-Losses.jpg
001-Losses.jpg (177.43 KiB) Viewed 182 times
JAMiAM

Post by JAMiAM »

Losses, OOB, destroyed and disbanded units (includes merges), and commentary, from the end of my turn 38.

Attachments
038-Losses.jpg
038-Losses.jpg (676.72 KiB) Viewed 182 times
JAMiAM

Post by JAMiAM »

It is important to get a good feel for your opponent, as soon as possible in a game. Even more so, when you jump into the middle of a game that has had a lot of time to develop without you! My attacks last turn were as much as anything, and attempt to gauge how Mike would react to my aggressive play, and to see how he would move in response to my engagement of his mobile units. This turn will be more of the same.

This picture is a zoomed out view of the North. I'm saving the exciting stuff for last...

Attachments
039-North.jpg
039-North.jpg (672.2 KiB) Viewed 182 times
JAMiAM

Post by JAMiAM »

This is a zoomed out view of the Center.

Attachments
039-Center.jpg
039-Center.jpg (633.02 KiB) Viewed 182 times
JAMiAM

Post by JAMiAM »

More detail in the Center.

Attachments
039-CenterDetail.jpg
039-CenterDetail.jpg (559.76 KiB) Viewed 182 times
JAMiAM

Post by JAMiAM »

Details on the south, in front of Kharkov.

Attachments
039-SouthDetail-A.jpg
039-SouthDetail-A.jpg (550.62 KiB) Viewed 182 times
JAMiAM

Post by JAMiAM »

Another detailed look at the South, where some really interesting stuff is happening...[;)]

Attachments
039-SouthDetail-B.jpg
039-SouthDetail-B.jpg (614.04 KiB) Viewed 182 times
JAMiAM

Post by JAMiAM »

And the big picture in the South to put it into perspective.

Attachments
039-SouthBig.jpg
039-SouthBig.jpg (558.17 KiB) Viewed 182 times
JAMiAM

Post by JAMiAM »

Losses and OOB for the end of Turn 39.

Attachments
039-Losses.jpg
039-Losses.jpg (348.11 KiB) Viewed 182 times

Return to “After Action Reports”