Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Tips for tanks taking out entrenched infantry?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Panzer Command: Ostfront >> Tips for tanks taking out entrenched infantry? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Tips for tanks taking out entrenched infantry? - 1/25/2012 1:32:55 AM   
sandman2575

Apologies if this is already dealt with in the threads -- have been going through them (and esp. appreciate Mad Russian's informative posts on tactics) but don't recall seeing this --

my question then--

What is the advisable way for tanks to approach and take out infantry in trenches? (ditto for infantry in houses/structures, but let's stick to trenches for now)

I've been going with a very cautious approach... maybe too cautious. Mostly I have tanks Advance toward them, then shell for perhaps several turns with Area-fire HE, being careful to keep a safe distance from the potential blast zone. If I get closer, then I switch to machine gun Area Fire (the game does a good job of selecting the proper ammo for you, i must say).

The tricky thing, of course, is that your tanks won't spot infantry in trenches until they're too close that it's a danger to your tanks and an advantage for the infantry, exp. those anti-tank-rifle equipped.

Can tanks crush infantry in trenches by rolling over them? If so, is that advisable?
Post #: 1
RE: Tips for tanks taking out entrenched infantry? - 1/25/2012 1:43:06 AM   
junk2drive

Last first, no they won't crush troops. There is something about tanks crushing guns though but I don't remember if it is Soviet only with the charge order or ?

Best of course is to have troops ahead of your tanks. Tanks were originally infantry support weapons. Hopefully you have the lastest beta installed because we did have problems with entrenched enemy troops being too tough to dislodge. I generally use HE and MG (just a target order) and after a while the troops will dismount and try to crawl away. At that point they are very vulnerable.

Conflict of Heroes "Most games are like checkers or chess and some have dice and cards involved too. This game plays like checkers but you think like chess and the dice and cards can change everything in real time."

(in reply to sandman2575)
Post #: 2
RE: Tips for tanks taking out entrenched infantry? - 1/25/2012 1:58:11 AM   
Mad Russian

The key, as J2D pointed out, is combined arms. Use infantry to get close enough to ID the infantry in the trenches. Then you can area fire the location. Once they are taking hits you can move your tanks closer to where they can do direct fire but that's taking a chance. Once the infantry starts taking damage you can move your own infantry closer.

Without an infantry screen you can area fire a section of trench for a bit, until you feel cocky enough to advance, then move a single vehicle forward to see what they can see.

Any tank will overrun an ATG if it gets close enough. Any movement order will cause the destruction.

Tanks will not destroy infantry simply by moving over them like they do guns.

Taking infantry out of houses is the hardest thing to do in the game, as it is in real life. Use the same formula as for the trenches, lots of fire, suppress or damage the enemy units then move closer with your own infantry and attack at close assault ranges. If all you have are AFV's this task is extremely difficult and dangerous. Firepower and more firepower is all that works.

Good Hunting.

MR

< Message edited by Mad Russian -- 1/25/2012 2:01:06 AM >

The most expensive thing in the world is free time.

Founder of HSG scenario design group for Combat Mission.
Panzer Command Ostfront Development Team.
Flashpoint Campaigns: Red Storm Development Team.

(in reply to junk2drive)
Post #: 3
RE: Tips for tanks taking out entrenched infantry? - 1/25/2012 4:50:51 AM   
Mobius

If you can bypass the infantry do so. Let them roost in their foxholes or houses unless they have anti-tank weapons.
Use a combination of area fire and direct fire.
I have a youtube video where my tanks are used to support infantry attacking houses.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rskPrgvl04I&feature=related

(in reply to Mad Russian)
Post #: 4
RE: Tips for tanks taking out entrenched infantry? - 1/25/2012 9:39:54 PM   
Mad Russian

Wrong thread. Sorry.

Good Hunting.

MR

< Message edited by Mad Russian -- 1/25/2012 9:40:45 PM >

The most expensive thing in the world is free time.

Founder of HSG scenario design group for Combat Mission.
Panzer Command Ostfront Development Team.
Flashpoint Campaigns: Red Storm Development Team.

(in reply to Mobius)
Post #: 5
RE: Tips for tanks taking out entrenched infantry? - 1/27/2012 12:41:40 AM   
sandman2575

Many thanks for the advice.  I have to say, the more time I spend with Ostfront, the more and more impressed (and hooked) I am.

Unrelated question, but rather than start a new thread --

Wondering about the extent to which friendly fire is a danger.  I believe your artillery can hit your own units if they are 'danger close.'  But what about other situations, for example, cross-fire.  Can your tanks accidentally hit other friendly units if they are in the line of fire?  What about MG's/small arms fire cutting across your own units?

Post #: 6
RE: Tips for tanks taking out entrenched infantry? - 1/27/2012 1:13:13 AM   
Mobius

quote:

ORIGINAL: sandman2575
Wondering about the extent to which friendly fire is a danger.  I believe your artillery can hit your own units if they are 'danger close.'  But what about other situations, for example, cross-fire.  Can your tanks accidentally hit other friendly units if they are in the line of fire?  What about MG's/small arms fire cutting across your own units?
Not with direct fire. You cannot target your own troops. You fire through your own. With area fire any troops in the area can be hit no matter the side.

Post #: 7
RE: Tips for tanks taking out entrenched infantry? - 1/27/2012 1:39:49 AM   
sandman2575

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mobius

]Not with direct fire. You cannot target your own troops. You fire through your own. With area fire any troops in the area can be hit no matter the side.

thanks Mobius -- just so I'm clear regarding Area fire -- you mean friendlies can be hit if they fall within the "red cube" zone that appears in Area fire before you set the target? I.e. you could have a squad of your own troops directly in the path of friendly MG fire, but as long as they remain outside the "red cube" for Area fire targeting, they will be OK - ?

Quick additional question about Area fire: if, *after* you have you set an Area Fire target, the fire-vector rubber-band turns *Grey,* what exactly does this mean? It seems to mean that the target did not really "take", and that the rubber band should stay Red after you've set an Area fire target. - ?

(in reply to Mobius)
Post #: 8
RE: Tips for tanks taking out entrenched infantry? - 1/27/2012 2:02:38 AM   
junk2drive

Usually there is a fine point between sight and no sight. Kind of like the action spots in CM. You get the red line and circle until you click the ground and then the target point "snaps to" the spot. If the spot is now out of LOS you get the gray line. Keep redoing it until you get a red line. Otherwise the whole thing will disappear when you click play.

Conflict of Heroes "Most games are like checkers or chess and some have dice and cards involved too. This game plays like checkers but you think like chess and the dice and cards can change everything in real time."

Post #: 9
RE: Tips for tanks taking out entrenched infantry? - 1/27/2012 5:33:43 AM   
Mobius

quote:

Quick additional question about Area fire: if, *after* you have you set an Area Fire target, the fire-vector rubber-band turns *Grey,* what exactly does this mean? It seems to mean that the target did not really "take", and that the rubber band should stay Red after you've set an Area fire target. - ?
Yeah, that is a little wierd. I guess is it means that while you hover the cursor the game takes a shorthand calculation of the factors into account, but once you lock it down on the ground it takes all factors into account. The results may be that LOS is attenuated.

quote:

thanks Mobius -- just so I'm clear regarding Area fire -- you mean friendlies can be hit if they fall within the "red cube" zone that appears in Area fire before you set the target? I.e. you could have a squad of your own troops directly in the path of friendly MG fire, but as long as they remain outside the "red cube" for Area fire targeting, they will be OK - ?
Yes.

< Message edited by Mobius -- 1/27/2012 5:35:21 AM >

Post #: 10
RE: Tips for tanks taking out entrenched infantry? - 2/17/2012 9:13:05 PM   
Joe D.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mad Russian

The key, as J2D pointed out, is combined arms. Use infantry to get close enough to ID the infantry in the trenches. Then you can area fire the location. Once they are taking hits you can move your tanks closer to where they can do direct fire but that's taking a chance ...

... 'cause that's when the unseen anti-tank arty open up as the armor is target-fixated on the infantry.

Stratford, Connecticut, U.S.A.

"The Angel of Okinawa"

Home of the Chance-Vought Corsair, F4U
The best fighter-bomber of World War II

Post #: 11
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Panzer Command: Ostfront >> Tips for tanks taking out entrenched infantry? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI