Matrix Games Forums

New screenshots for War in the West!Pike & Shot is now available!Server Maintenance Battle Academy 2 gets updated!Deal of the Week: Advanced Tactics Gold Ask Buzz Aldrin!Pike & Shot gets Release Date and Twitch Session!Deal of the Week Espana 1936War in the West coming in December!Space Program Manager will be launching on Steam
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Dune Universe

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds Series >> Design and Modding >> Dune Universe Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Dune Universe - 1/23/2012 4:59:52 PM   
KEYSTONE07950

New to the game. Has anyone worked up a mod for the Dune Universe?
Post #: 1
RE: Dune Universe - 1/24/2012 8:49:12 AM   
Jon Micheelsen

I have thought about it, but I don't think anyone have done it no. It would be awesome, but within the current modding possibilities it would not be possible to make it true to that universe - as in you can't make one planet with a resource that you cannot travel super fast without. Also there are no space folding techs, where you travel without moving, but rather instant jump form A to B. No tech modding is currently available other than some graphic/icon/sound changing and tech renaming. Same applies for resources.
It is however quite possible to make an all human houses - no aliens - universe with political interaction settings quite Dune'ish. I suppose one could maybe set the hyperspeed generic setting extremely high and rename the current race special hyper drive to something CHOAM guild like and possibly make the general hyperdrive tech tree unavailable in the forbidden tech list in the race files. Hyperdrive then renamed to some spicy fold space sounding thing could then be a guild only tech, that could be traded or stolen by spies, and all other travel would be limited to the non hyper propulsion systems - that would take forever!!!! Still a spice resource as a fold space requirement would not quite work - maybe if it was made over one of the resources required by a base to build a hyperdrive component in a ship...?!

Hmmm... What say the rest of the modders? This could be an awesome mod!!

KEYSTONE, since you are new, I know I must have baffled you in information here, sorry about that Thanks for fueling a brainstorm however

(in reply to KEYSTONE07950)
Post #: 2
RE: Dune Universe - 1/24/2012 12:40:47 PM   
Arcatus

And we already got the sand worms

(in reply to Jon Micheelsen)
Post #: 3
RE: Dune Universe - 1/24/2012 3:38:25 PM   
Data

Still, if you can mod no-ships it will be an instant grab for me

...Igniting stellar cores....Recharging reactors...Recalibrating hyperdrives....

(in reply to Arcatus)
Post #: 4
RE: Dune Universe - 1/24/2012 4:13:07 PM   
J HG T

Oh, Dune 2 was one of my most played games when I was kid.
Haven't read any Dune novels thought I've always planned to. Need to fix that at some point in the future.
From my understanding the Dune universe concentrates more on terrestrial happenings than to space. Still, would be interesting to see a mod about Dune in DW.

As a side note:
I really, really hope that Emperor: Battle for Dune comes to GOG in the future.
Just listening to its music makes me remember the good old days. I miss you, Westwood.

Nothing is impossible, not if you can imagine it!
"And they hurled themselves into the void of space with no fear."

(in reply to Data)
Post #: 5
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds Series >> Design and Modding >> Dune Universe Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI