Matrix Games Forums

Deal of the Week: Command Ops goes half price!New Fronts are opening up for Commander: The Great WarCharacters of World War 1Sign of for the Pike and Shot Beta!More Games are Coming to Steam! Return to the Moon on October 31st! Commander: The Great War iPad Wallpapers Generals of the Great WarDeal of the Week Panzer CorpsNew Strategy Titles Join the Family
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Colonize Subjugated Territory

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds Series >> The War Room >> Colonize Subjugated Territory Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Colonize Subjugated Territory - 1/23/2012 2:25:17 AM   
dalecox

After subjugating a race, are you not able to colonize inside their territory?
Post #: 1
RE: Colonize Subjugated Territory - 1/23/2012 8:43:57 AM   
onomastikon

I believe you cannot.

(in reply to dalecox)
Post #: 2
RE: Colonize Subjugated Territory - 1/23/2012 4:35:01 PM   
Data

This question is so good that I think it belongs in the tech support section as a bug

...Igniting stellar cores....Recharging reactors...Recalibrating hyperdrives....

(in reply to onomastikon)
Post #: 3
RE: Colonize Subjugated Territory - 1/24/2012 8:57:57 PM   
ASHBERY76

I do not like the subjugation design in this game.The subjugated empire should be your bitch and under complete dominance ie no millitaryships allowed,no diplomacy with other races unless there is a full blown rebellion.

(in reply to Data)
Post #: 4
RE: Colonize Subjugated Territory - 1/24/2012 11:14:51 PM   
dalecox

I'm very much a newbie but this surely doesn't fit the definition of subjugation in my book.  I'm just using this run through as a warm up to learn how the game plays out.  But I tried invading with no success because despite his having only one colony, he had an incredible amount of troops.  I couldn't have build that many in eons!  So I thought I would just bomb them to bits so I backed up and gave that a shot.  The large fleet of bombers (large for the early game) took so long that my empire went into civil war from war weariness.  Building more bombers would have taken a very long time so I backed up again and tried subjugation.  Can't tell how that is helping me.  Somehow he has enough resources with one colony and a few scattered mines to start building a large spaceport with a ton of military ships queued up.  I've no choice but to destroy the port.  Not very subjugated in my book.

I am liking the game overall, I must say though.  I go all the way back to the original 4x, MOO 1.  I've been looking for a replacement for MOO 2 for a very long time and DW looks very promising!

(in reply to ASHBERY76)
Post #: 5
RE: Colonize Subjugated Territory - 1/25/2012 5:33:09 PM   
Jerkface

Yeah subjugation needs some work.  Basically they give you 10%, and you can see what they see...but they continue to start and fight wars, continue to colonize (who the HELL gave you permission to Colonize that world on the other side of MY empire you subjugated chumps?) and do other things a megalomaniac leader would never give them permission to do.

(in reply to dalecox)
Post #: 6
RE: Colonize Subjugated Territory - 1/25/2012 11:44:46 PM   
dalecox

10%???  I got zilch!

(in reply to Jerkface)
Post #: 7
RE: Colonize Subjugated Territory - 1/26/2012 8:16:48 AM   
onomastikon

Yes I agree, they need to be on a tighter leash.

Dalecox: seems it's also only 10% of their net (not gross) profit. If you hurt them badly enough before subjugation, they may be making less than 10k profit (may in fact be in the red), in which case you get <1k cash, and otherwise no tangible benefits from subjugation. (On the other hand, you don't seem to need to DO anything FOR them either, that is, you as subjugator do not appear to need to offer protection or something.)

My only explanation for the apparently incredible tameness of subjugation is that the devs believed it might be an option for the player herself (to buy some time, to get out of a war they could otherwise not afford to bargain their way out of). I have never tried it, but I could imagine that this might be an option; if so, then keeping subjugation so incredibly tame gives the player a chance to come back and win, whereas if subjugation were that which we all imagine it should be, it would be tantamount to game over. With that said, I'd still prefer it to be much tougher.

(in reply to dalecox)
Post #: 8
RE: Colonize Subjugated Territory - 1/27/2012 6:05:39 PM   
dalecox

Maybe that's what the devs had in mind. And I know everyone has their own style of play but I really can't imagine being in bad enough shape to subjugate myself and continuing the game. I'd bail and start another one.

(in reply to onomastikon)
Post #: 9
RE: Colonize Subjugated Territory - 1/27/2012 7:02:41 PM   
ASHBERY76

There does not seem to be any motivation for the player to subjugate when you might as well annex the whole empire.Subjugate in my view is to dominate without the busy work having to mop up.In my view the player should get at least 35% of the empire GDP and that empire should only answer to you.The treaty is pretty pointless at it stands.

(in reply to dalecox)
Post #: 10
RE: Colonize Subjugated Territory - 1/30/2012 3:08:50 PM   
Jerkface

quote:

ORIGINAL: ASHBERY76

There does not seem to be any motivation for the player to subjugate when you might as well annex the whole empire.Subjugate in my view is to dominate without the busy work having to mop up.In my view the player should get at least 35% of the empire GDP and that empire should only answer to you.The treaty is pretty pointless at it stands.

The only thing I really use it for is to provide myself a break...give me time to bring more troops to the front lines, re-deploy my fleets...and to gather intel on the enemy. You can see every ship and planet that a subjugated empire owns. And on very large maps, you may not know where their colonies are.

(in reply to ASHBERY76)
Post #: 11
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds Series >> The War Room >> Colonize Subjugated Territory Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI