Matrix Games Forums

Battle Academy Mega Pack releases on SteamDeal of the Week Da Vinci's Art of WarCivil War II Patch 1.4 public BetaHappy Easter!Battle Academy is now available on SteamPlayers compare Ageods Civil War to Civil War IIDeal of the week - An updated War in the East goes half Price!Sign up for the Qvadriga beta for iPad and Android!Come and say hi at Pax and SaluteLegends of War goes on sale!
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Route Pathing

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command Ops Series >> The War Room >> Route Pathing Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Route Pathing - 1/21/2012 11:14:36 PM   
RangerX3X

I am playing the scenario Skorzeny's Bid for Glory and I am having issues with units breaking off an engagement and making crazy re-routing decisions without any pragmatic reason I can discern.

In the screen shot below and the attached game save, I have ordered Kampfgruppe X and Y to both independently attack the West Bridge objective with the forming up point set at the crossroads in Falize. The only changes I make to the settings are route=shortest and rest=none.

Kampfgruppe X is the closest and they are successful in achieving the objective and begin securing it. Kampfgruppe Y however makes it to the bridge and begins crossing some units (the exploitation phase of the assault I presume) when the HQ and the attached mortar platoon freak out and start racing towards Malmedy to cross the bridge there on their way to the assigned objective.

I simply do not understand this as the only force threatening them at the time would have been K Coy. The re-route takes the Kampfgruppe Y HQ and mortar platoon straight into a hornet’s nest of enemy line units and they are promptly routed.

Is there any viable methodology to force a unit (individual, battalion, regiment, etc.) to take a specific path as long as it is accessible and ONLY that path, to prevent such mind-boggling deviations?

Saved Game File

< Message edited by RangerX3X -- 1/21/2012 11:18:05 PM >

Post #: 1
RE: Route Pathing - 1/22/2012 3:00:35 AM   
vandorenp

If the bridge is blown only the foot units would get across. Can't tell in in the graphics that it is. (By how would it get blown? Its not mined)

Keydet

(in reply to RangerX3X)
Post #: 2
RE: Route Pathing - 1/22/2012 3:43:16 AM   
RangerX3X

In this scenario the bridge is unprimed and never blows.

(in reply to vandorenp)
Post #: 3
RE: Route Pathing - 1/22/2012 1:48:05 PM   
simovitch

The best way is to catch the maverick unit before it gets too far and give it specific orders. The re-attach it when it gets past the river or what ever obstacle is causing it to re-route.

simovitch

(in reply to RangerX3X)
Post #: 4
RE: Route Pathing - 1/23/2012 1:32:49 AM   
Arjuna

I have taken a look at your image. From what I cna see the objective is on the far side of a river. The unit data indicated its a wheeled unit. It looks to me to be taking the only valid route open to it - ie via the only crossing over that river.

Dave "Arjuna" O'Connor
www.panthergames.com

(in reply to simovitch)
Post #: 5
RE: Route Pathing - 1/24/2012 1:03:43 AM   
RangerX3X

Wheeled units cross just to the right of the bridge; Using the pathing tool for motorized units, starting at Falize and ending across the river on the main road, all three options take you just to the right of the bridge which is rated at 0% for motorized units, making them cross in the water there (which many do, but I am only guessing there).

In this example, there are two wheeled units (Stugs and Panthers) that have already made the crossing:

Example 2

It was interesting to see that Kampfgruppe Z almost immediately abandoned the route as described above and are moving the opposite direction of intent.

After running this route several times and watching some units (including motorized) make it across and some not, I feel it is due to the heavy amount of artillery coming down on the position (which is a huge boatload).

< Message edited by RangerX3X -- 1/24/2012 2:38:14 AM >

(in reply to Arjuna)
Post #: 6
RE: Route Pathing - 1/24/2012 3:38:20 AM   
Arjuna

Sorry but I can't see what the issue is here. Are you concerned about the alignment of the route with the bridge? You have to take into consideration that the actual map drawing is done down to a 2m resolution at max zoom in in the MapMaker but that the movement and hence pathing is done ona 100m grid. So there can soemtime sbe a slight mismatch in terms of alignment. If it is something else you are concerned about, then please elaborate.

Dave "Arjuna" O'Connor
www.panthergames.com

(in reply to RangerX3X)
Post #: 7
RE: Route Pathing - 1/24/2012 4:37:06 AM   
RangerX3X

quote:

ORIGINAL: Arjuna

Sorry but I can't see what the issue is here. Are you concerned about the alignment of the route with the bridge? You have to take into consideration that the actual map drawing is done down to a 2m resolution at max zoom in in the MapMaker but that the movement and hence pathing is done ona 100m grid. So there can soemtime sbe a slight mismatch in terms of alignment. If it is something else you are concerned about, then please elaborate.

The concern is not alignment with the bridge as the map renders it, but on the decision made by the AI subordinate commander to completely abandon the route that is right before them and to plan a different route to the first waypoint, in the face of what appears to be one enemy company (K) threatening them.

To the OP: Short of baby-sitting the HQ unit in charge of the attack I ordered (which could be daunting in much larger scenarios), is there any way that the AI can be directed to take only the route specified (which is all accessible terrain) and not deviate from that?

(in reply to Arjuna)
Post #: 8
RE: Route Pathing - 1/24/2012 4:53:02 AM   
Arjuna

First off, you are giving an attack order and have specified an FUP and waypoints to that FUP. For the move to the FUP, the AI will try and avoid enemy in the way. The enemy K.126 unit is not at the objective and hence is not what you have ordered your force to attack. If you wanted your force to clear that enemy out of the way first, then you should have conducted this in phases. Phase one would see you issuing either a specific attack order against the enemy K.126 company or a Move order with attacks enabled as an option and the objective at your first initial waypoint. Phase two orders would be made once that first phase was completed and would be an attack along the lines of your initial order but without that first waypoint.

Does that make sense?

Dave "Arjuna" O'Connor
www.panthergames.com

(in reply to RangerX3X)
Post #: 9
RE: Route Pathing - 1/24/2012 5:40:50 AM   
RangerX3X

Wow...thanks for the suggestion. First time out I won a Decisive Victory 100-33 and had control of all three objectives, with the Allies driven completely into the ground.

(in reply to Arjuna)
Post #: 10
RE: Route Pathing - 1/24/2012 8:07:22 AM   
BASB

A silly question perhaps, if a road bridge is destroyed  and only a foot bridge is left does that mean wheeled units, none of its elements will cross a river?

Formerly Goodwood

(in reply to RangerX3X)
Post #: 11
RE: Route Pathing - 1/24/2012 10:48:15 AM   
Arjuna

With the current engine, yes it does. For the next major title in this series we aim to model realistic mounted operations. So then there would be an option for the unit to split into a transport and leg component. But for now that is the way it works.

Dave "Arjuna" O'Connor
www.panthergames.com

(in reply to BASB)
Post #: 12
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command Ops Series >> The War Room >> Route Pathing Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI