Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Pilots arriving inactive

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Pilots arriving inactive Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Pilots arriving inactive - 1/17/2012 11:27:53 AM   
EUBanana

A request for Michael I guess - would it be possible to have replacement pilots tick down their 'time to active' all the way to 0?

ATM if you request a pilot you have to wait while the time to arrival counter ticks down to 1, and then, as it never hits 0, manually have to activate the pilot so they actually fly. Given the variable time to arrival, and the ease of making pilots actually arrive active (the use case for 99.99% of the time, I'll wager), it does seem rather unnecessary, and very easily changed.

I pity Japanese players who have to rebuild slaughtered squadrons time and time again, doing it via the request veteran button must be a nightmare.

Post #: 1
RE: Pilots arriving inactive - 1/17/2012 11:53:46 AM   
HansBolter

+1

I inevitably discover a week or two after the arrival of my chosen replacements that they are resting in group reserve because I never manually set them to active status.

Hans

(in reply to EUBanana)
Post #: 2
RE: Pilots arriving inactive - 1/17/2012 11:59:32 AM   
obvert

quote:

ORIGINAL: EUBanana

A request for Michael I guess - would it be possible to have replacement pilots tick down their 'time to active' all the way to 0?

ATM if you request a pilot you have to wait while the time to arrival counter ticks down to 1, and then, as it never hits 0, manually have to activate the pilot so they actually fly. Given the variable time to arrival, and the ease of making pilots actually arrive active (the use case for 99.99% of the time, I'll wager), it does seem rather unnecessary, and very easily changed.

I pity Japanese players who have to rebuild slaughtered squadrons time and time again, doing it via the request veteran button must be a nightmare.

Yes, and if you use the manual operation with EXP modifier, you might get 12 pilots with good air skill, (or whatever you're trying for) but 3 are taken in that are recon pilots (or bomber piltos or something else) even though there are plenty of high air skill pilots around in the reserve pool. Then this also lowers their EXP because their now changed to fighter pilots. When you put them back in the pool and load them to a recon group they then lose more EXP because they go back to being recon.

(in reply to EUBanana)
Post #: 3
RE: Pilots arriving inactive - 1/17/2012 12:12:03 PM   
EUBanana

I guess the reason it hasn't been done before is that the code is kinda lazy, and all setting a pilot to be a reservist does is increment their time to arrival by 1.

So I guess you'd need to add some sort of "in reserve" flag so it only holds it at 1 if that flag is present.

(in reply to obvert)
Post #: 4
RE: Pilots arriving inactive - 1/17/2012 1:33:18 PM   
castor troy

quote:

IIRC Nemo discussed this with michaelm earlier and michaelm said the pilots are only put in active status if the squadron actually needs the pilot, means if there are more active aircraft than active pilots. I would preferre having the pilots active too automatically because then you wouldn't have incactive pilots that don't do training and don't fly Cap or any other mission so the fat of the rest goes up unnecessarily high.

(in reply to EUBanana)
Post #: 5
RE: Pilots arriving inactive - 1/17/2012 4:13:19 PM   
LoBaron

Wasn´t there something about inactive pilots going active if the active pilots reach a specific fatigue threshold as well?

CT is right, it does have an impact anyhow as inactive pilots don´t fly training missions.

< Message edited by LoBaron -- 1/17/2012 4:19:08 PM >

(in reply to castor troy)
Post #: 6
RE: Pilots arriving inactive - 1/17/2012 4:18:30 PM   
EUBanana

FWIW I quite often (assuming I forget to micromanage) find squadrons with more planes than (active) pilots that without manual intervention means less planes than should be are actually flying. You do at least get red coloured numbers as a warning so its fairly obvious when it happens, but still, it seems an unnecessary and time consuming (and memory consuming) task, given the use case 99.99% of the time is that you want your new pilot arrival to be active.

Which is the bottom line, ultimately.

< Message edited by EUBanana -- 1/17/2012 4:19:25 PM >

(in reply to LoBaron)
Post #: 7
RE: Pilots arriving inactive - 1/17/2012 4:33:44 PM   
castor troy

quote:

FWIW I quite often (assuming I forget to micromanage) find squadrons with more planes than (active) pilots that without manual intervention means less planes than should be are actually flying. You do at least get red coloured numbers as a warning so its fairly obvious when it happens, but still, it seems an unnecessary and time consuming (and memory consuming) task, given the use case 99.99% of the time is that you want your new pilot arrival to be active.

Which is the bottom line, ultimately.

absolutely, I just don't see a reason at all to have pilots in a squadron being in squadron reserve. And if someone wants to have a pilot in reserve, then just go ahead and put him in reserve but in 99.999% of the time ppl want their pilots active so that should be the default setting as soon as the pilot actually arrived at the squadron showing delay "1".

(in reply to EUBanana)
Post #: 8
RE: Pilots arriving inactive - 1/17/2012 8:46:18 PM   
Captain Cruft

Agree totally.

(in reply to castor troy)
Post #: 9
RE: Pilots arriving inactive - 10/4/2013 2:09:19 PM   
richlove

Bump.

I'm playing a GC and my pilots are arriving inactive. I'm assuming this was never changed. Is there a quick way to find these guys and flip them active, or am I stuck w/ using tracker to find them, and then going into each group and right-clicking each and every pilot?

(in reply to Captain Cruft)
Post #: 10
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Pilots arriving inactive Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI