Matrix Games Forums

To End All Wars Releasing on Steam! Slitherine is recruiting: Programmers requiredPandora: Eclipse of Nashira gets release dateCommunity impressions of To End All WarsAgeod's To End All Wars is now availableTo End All Wars is now available!Deal of the Week: Field of GloryTo End All Wars: Video, AAR and Interview!Ageod's To End All Wars: Video, AAR and Interview!To End All Wars: Artillery
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Air unit equipment upgrade

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> Tech Support >> Air unit equipment upgrade Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Air unit equipment upgrade - 1/15/2012 10:15:17 PM   
Schmart

Playing 41-45 GC vs AI as the Soviets. It's July 1942, and I find it odd that there still apears to be a large number of fighter units equipped with obselete aircraft. 51 units for a total of 960 aircraft, when there are over 7,000 better fighters available in the pool. I'd like to suggest that the equipment upgrade system in the game (aircraft and AFVs) could use some fine tuning for better and more realistic upgrading.

Attachment (1)
Post #: 1
RE: Air unit equipment upgrade - 1/15/2012 10:28:38 PM   
Denniss

I don't know how exactly the upgrade system work, it may work better if the I-15 and I-16 get an upgrade path to a newer unit type.
I assume the upgrade process works better if this obsolete stuff gets an end date set.

(in reply to Schmart)
Post #: 2
RE: Air unit equipment upgrade - 1/16/2012 2:49:08 AM   
Marquo

Are you set to automatic upgrade?

(in reply to Denniss)
Post #: 3
RE: Air unit equipment upgrade - 1/16/2012 4:24:20 AM   
Schmart

Yes, all air units are set to automatic upgrade.

(in reply to Marquo)
Post #: 4
RE: Air unit equipment upgrade - 1/16/2012 7:26:15 AM   
JAMiAM

Obviously, you are not using (losing enough of) the tools that you already have in abundance. Therefore, why change what is apparently 'working'?

The automatic upgrade routine is designed around 'upgrading' from equipment that is running out, to equipment that you have plenty of. The problem is that you still have plenty of the 'obsolete' stuff. In your case, if you want your equipment upgraded, you're just going to have to bite the AP bullet, and pay the cost to do it manually. That, or start losing enough of the old stuff to actually start running low.

(in reply to Schmart)
Post #: 5
RE: Air unit equipment upgrade - 1/16/2012 7:59:25 AM   
randallw

quote:

ORIGINAL: Denniss

I don't know how exactly the upgrade system work, it may work better if the I-15 and I-16 get an upgrade path to a newer unit type.
I assume the upgrade process works better if this obsolete stuff gets an end date set.

Yes, that may be a problem. I suspect the programming is set up so it tries to upgrade though a path, and if there is no path then it waits for the unit to dribble down to a small amount of planes left.

(in reply to Denniss)
Post #: 6
RE: Air unit equipment upgrade - 1/16/2012 11:41:51 AM   
Helpless

As mentioned before, the most decisive factor is the size of your pools. Swap should happen once you are very low on current equipment. Yes, upgrade is bit different and has nigher chances to happen, but it was deliberately chosen not to set upgrade for the early model aircraft. Even in your example you have less groups operating I-15/I-16 then it was historically at that point. You could see them in the front line even by the end 1943, not to mention PVO units.

Historically switching the plane type was quite big task for the air unit (mainly due to the pilot skills). I don't think that we should stream line it more than it is now.

Pavel Zagzin
WITE/WITW Development

(in reply to randallw)
Post #: 7
RE: Air unit equipment upgrade - 1/16/2012 8:51:20 PM   
Schmart

quote:

ORIGINAL: Helpless
Even in your example you have less groups operating I-15/I-16 then it was historically at that point. You could see them in the front line even by the end 1943, not to mention PVO units.

This is good to know. I was unaware. So, this is WAD. APs are tight in 1942, but it's no trouble swapping one or two units per turn. Should be sorted out early in 1943.

(in reply to Helpless)
Post #: 8
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> Tech Support >> Air unit equipment upgrade Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI