Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Serious Problem 1.7.0.6 & 7

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds Series >> Tech Support >> Serious Problem 1.7.0.6 & 7 Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Serious Problem 1.7.0.6 & 7 - 1/15/2012 4:24:53 PM   
ThaovaManni

Dear Matrixgames-Team, dear Players,

I am coming up to you with a serious problem I have. I am running Windows 7 (64) Ultimate, K7 Total Security (Firewall) etc.

I want to play Distant Worlds so badly that I even purchased it twice !! And both not working! :-(
First I bought the German version of Distant Worlds in a renowned German shop and I believed that all came from a bad copy or wrong security code. After installation of the game I started and Windows Defender & my K7 Total Security Fire Wall deleted the game-exe-file after approx 10 seconds because it said it is a Trojan.
Then I bought online from your homepage the game a second time. This time I even included the Return of the Shakturi extension. Exactly the same thing happened.
So I installed, de-installed and re-installed all versions more than 20 (!!!) times including the lines below.
Finally I got my Windows Defender adjusted, so that it accepted the game. In addition I completely deactivated the K7 Totral Security (Firewall). It allowed me to start the game, but after approx 5 or 10 minutes my computer completely crashed. I repoeated this altogether 3 times.
And you cannot imagine that I forgot to deactivate the firewall when I tried the second and third time, so I had to de-install, re-install with deactivated firewall and start again. And still with the same result.

So yoiu can imagine that I am very disappointed. If it only would work I would not mind about one time loosing money by buying double, but still ....
And the time I invested for nothing I even do not count here.

Please help!

Bye,

MJ
Post #: 1
RE: Serious Problem 1.7.0.6 & 7 - 1/15/2012 10:08:21 PM   
Kayoz

1. Return the copy you bought at the shop. I'm not sure what the consumer protection laws are like in Germany, but if it isn't "fit for purpose" (eg: you can't run it), then you should have a right to a refund.

2. False positive with your K7 antivirus is something that Matrix games should take up with them. This seems to be a common problem with DW.

3. I'm not sure why your firewall needs to be deactivated - DW doesn't require any Internet connection. I think it checks for updates, but that can be blocked without any ill effects.... actually from what I've seen of the auto-update process, I'd advise a manual update.

4. Your computer crashed? BSOD? I don't think that DW can do that.

5. Assuming that someone from Matrix responds to this thread, they'll need logs. You can reduce the turn-around time on this by uploading your DxDiag output. As well, indicate specifically which versions you are having trouble with (any updates will change this).

(in reply to ThaovaManni)
Post #: 2
RE: Serious Problem 1.7.0.6 & 7 - 1/16/2012 11:42:26 AM   
ThaovaManni

Hi Kayoz,

Thanks a lot for your prompt feedback!

1) It is not so easy to return, because I bought in Germany, but live in China. I would love to, but probably I will give away as a present, but first I need to know myself that it runs.

2) I really hope that Matrixgames takes this up with K7 Computing (Firewall K7 Total Security) as soon as possible. It cannot work without. If I only would forget to switch off even if DW is not running it deletes the exe-file after approx 5 to 10 minutes. And K7 mention about themselves they are the bestselling firewall / antivirus software worldwide, so Matrixgames should be interested in. Thus: Dear Matrixgames - please take this issue up with K7 as suggested by Kayoz! Thx!

3) I did both, manual and online update (at different installations) and also no update at all. No luck in any constellation, always deleted by K7 - or finally crashed. So I had DW alone in versions 1.7.0.6, 1.7.0.7 and further online updated. I also tried 1.7.06 in combination with Return of the Shakturi - as it is and also with updated Return of tzhe Shakturi.

4) Sorry, yes, it crashed. With deactivated K7. Maybe Matrixgames can see with your suggested 5), the DxDiag, a little more. I will now try to attach it.

Thanks a lot for your hints!

Hopefully they (Matrixgames) will take point 2) up and also find out something with my DxDiag!

Bye,

MJ

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Kayoz)
Post #: 3
RE: Serious Problem 1.7.0.6 & 7 - 1/16/2012 3:20:52 PM   
Kayoz

As for #2 - you might want to try this to get around K7 deleting the file:

Source:
http://www.k7computing.com/en/Support/TotalSecuritySupport_Details.php

quote:

9. How can I exclude a file from being scanned?

1. Open K7 Total Security main console.

2. In the Settings tab, click on Real Time Protection under Configure Anti-Malware protection.

3. In the Sentry Tab click on Click here to manage exclusion under what to scan

3. Click Add entry button and click on add folder or add file to exclude it from being scanned.

4. Select the relevant scanner options and Click OK.

5. Click OK to save the exclusion settings.

(in reply to ThaovaManni)
Post #: 4
RE: Serious Problem 1.7.0.6 & 7 - 1/16/2012 4:25:25 PM   
Whydmer

Aren't versions 1.7.0.6 and 1.7.0.7 specific updates for Legends only and not for Distant Worlds stand alone or Distant Worlds with only Revenge of the Shakturi? or am I misunderstanding something?

(in reply to Kayoz)
Post #: 5
RE: Serious Problem 1.7.0.6 & 7 - 1/16/2012 8:40:35 PM   
Kayoz

quote:

ORIGINAL: Whydmer

Aren't versions 1.7.0.6 and 1.7.0.7 specific updates for Legends only and not for Distant Worlds stand alone or Distant Worlds with only Revenge of the Shakturi? or am I misunderstanding something?

I thought that the installer wouldn't permit installation of an update if the update doesn't apply to the installed version (ie: given RotS installed, you should not be able to install 1.7.0.7). If it does allow it, then Elliot has to wake up and get his installer sorted.

ThaovaManni - you need to check that DW alone, with no updates, installs and runs correctly. If it does, then install RotS, check it works, then install the RotS update (1.5.0.8?).

(in reply to Whydmer)
Post #: 6
RE: Serious Problem 1.7.0.6 & 7 - 1/17/2012 1:17:13 PM   
ThaovaManni

Dear Kayoz,

Thanks a lot! Checking out K7 I should have done myself before .... sorry!

Now I managed to eliminate folder (Matrixgames) and file (DistantWorld.exe) in K7. Abnd ... it worked out! :-)
At least I installed DW + Return of the Shakturi (now version 1.5.0.8). I went through the whole Basic Tutorial and in contrast to the previous times where I only deactivated K7 Total Security and where it crashed after a short time it ran through. Stable until now. So it really looks like all has been caused by my Firewall, even in deactivated mode it still had negative interaction with DW.

Thank you once more! You are very kind and patient with a not so experienced user! :-)

Bye,

MJ

(in reply to Kayoz)
Post #: 7
RE: Serious Problem 1.7.0.6 & 7 - 1/17/2012 1:19:36 PM   
ThaovaManni

Hi,

Sorry Whydmer, sorry Kayos,

I do not have Legends (yet). It should have been 1.0.6... and 1.0.7... respectively 1.5.0.8. I mixed it up.

See you around!

Bye,

MJ

(in reply to Kayoz)
Post #: 8
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds Series >> Tech Support >> Serious Problem 1.7.0.6 & 7 Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI