Elephant Hunt: Semi-Interactive AAR

Post descriptions of your brilliant victories and bitter defeats here.

Moderator: rickier65

Mad Russian

Elephant Hunt: Semi-Interactive AAR

Post by Mad Russian »

Well, here we are. Finally, the research is done, the map is made, the scenario has an OOB and objectives.

I'm doing one last save and adding the grass textures to the map.

Once that's done we can playtest this.

I'll put the units on the map and I will take my orders from you guys. We'll see how this works.

I should have a tactical map up here for us to look at and formulate a plan with by the end of the day.

Good Hunting.

MR
The most expensive thing in the world is free time.

Founder of HSG scenario design group for Combat Mission.
Panzer Command Ostfront Development Team.
Flashpoint Campaigns: Red Storm Development Team.
Mad Russian

RE: Semi-Interactive AAR: Elephant Hunt

Post by Mad Russian »

This section of ground that I have chosen for our map has 3 hill masses on it, as well as two small sections of trees.

I've created a tactical map that shows the basic areas of the hill masses in relation to the roads in the area and the sections of trees.

Good Hunting.

MR

Attachments
Tactical Map.jpg
Tactical Map.jpg (43.94 KiB) Viewed 696 times

Mad Russian

Post by Mad Russian »

Operational Situation:

With the attack stopped near Ponyri Station and the Germans turning their attention to Ol'khovatka, a stalemate situation is developing. 4th Panzer Division has been ordered to restart the offensive and punch a hole in the Soviet 70th Army area of operations. 19th Tank Corps has been ordered to stop the German offensive on the northern shoulder once and for all.

This is in the area of the 70th Army. The Soviet armored unit in the area at that time was the 19th Tank Corps.

Intelligence Report:

German forces identified in this area are the 4th Panzer Division. The division has begun intensive attacks moving steadily towards Ol'khovatka. The 19th Tank COrps will defend this area vigorously. The Germans have been in constant combat for two days. Their formations should be at the breaking point.

19th Tank Corps Orders:

To stop the 4th Panzer Division. 19th Tank Corps, lead by Major General I. D. Vasil'ev, will counterattack with the 101st Tank Brigade. Colonel I.V. Kurdupov , commander of the 101st Tank Brigade, who was awarded Hero of the Soviet Union for his part in the defense of Mtsensk in 1941, will advance to contact from northwest of Ol'khovatka from the blocking positions around Hill 253 and defeat the German offensive in this area.

Lt. Yerokhin will lead 2nd Company, 1st Battalion of the 101st Tank Brigade to engage the enemy. It will be your job to scout the way to the German advancing elements. The T-34's will have no problem dealing with the older, less capable German tanks.

Attachments
Tactical M..uation 1.jpg
Tactical M..uation 1.jpg (52.93 KiB) Viewed 693 times

Mad Russian

Post by Mad Russian »

2nd Battalion, 101st Tank Brigade is at full strength. 3 companies of 10 T-34/76 Model 43's each.

We also have 2 platoons of infantry from the 26th Motor Rifle Brigade in front of our main positions near the two road intersections at the base of Hill 254.

Mad Russian

Post by Mad Russian »

What are your recommendations for deployment of our forces?

Infantry can only be deployed in the area next to the road at the base of Hill 254. No tanks can be deployed in this area but at some point tanks could load that infantry if we choose to.

Attachments
TacticalM..entArea.jpg
TacticalM..entArea.jpg (76.63 KiB) Viewed 693 times

Ratzki

Post by Ratzki »

What is the approx. range that our units will be able to spot the enemy at?
Mad Russian

Post by Mad Russian »

The range will more than likely be determined by the LOS block of the hills.

This is definitely not flat ground.

Good Hunting.

MR

dazoline II

Post by dazoline II »

Is the final objective hill 253?
What sort of artillery is to be expected?

It would be nice to get a lay of the land shot looking north west from the base of hill 253.

Without it...

I'd place some infantry near enough to the intersection to the right to get the most LOS on the ground between 248 and 254.
If there's any anti tank squads I'd put them in the woods close to the left intersection facing north and east.

I'd put one company of t34s on the reverse slope of 254 to the west.
I'd put the second company of tanks into any dead ground as seen from the north to the south of the eastern woods aimed and ready.

I'd put the command company of tanks along the reverse eastern slope of 254 on the road hidden by the woods.

I imagine 254 will be the major battle site probably right at the intersection on top of 254. unless the Germans drive right for 253. Then it will be the east most intersection or before it on the road. Also the winning tactics will be for the Russians to keep at least one company of tanks unengaged while the other two fix the attacking armor in place then using the unengaged company to flank the heavy armor. All armour elements should use reverse slope movement and prepare to be as mobile as possible.
Moscow by winter? Only if you send Fast Heinz to Kiev.
Mad Russian

Post by Mad Russian »

ORIGINAL: dazoline II

Is the final objective hill 253?
What sort of artillery is to be expected?

With the Germans advancing normal German artillery support may be expected. Keep in mind that during the initial operations of the German offensive Soviet artillery and air strikes targeted all known German artillery locations. Since that time their artillery support has been at a much lower participation level than normal.

We don't want to lose any of the ground we already own if possible. If we are to take the fight to the enemy we will need to advance toward the north edge of the battle zone. Gaining ground is secondary to destroying enemy units.
It would be nice to get a lay of the land shot looking north west from the base of hill 253.

Without it...

I'd place some infantry near enough to the intersection to the right to get the most LOS on the ground between 248 and 254.
If there's any anti tank squads I'd put them in the woods close to the left intersection facing north and east.

Being on the reverse side of Hill 254 all you would see would be the hill in front of you. As often as possible defenders used the reverse slopes of hills to limit the attackers concentration of fire on observed targets.

During the initial setup we can put them wherever we want and a platoon near each road intersection is a good plan. If we want we can move them forward or leave them where they are as the action starts to develop.
I'd put one company of t34s on the reverse slope of 254 to the west.
I'd put the second company of tanks into any dead ground as seen from the north to the south of the eastern woods aimed and ready.

I'd put the command company of tanks along the reverse eastern slope of 254 on the road hidden by the woods.

I imagine 254 will be the major battle site probably right at the intersection on top of 254. unless the Germans drive right for 253. Then it will be the east most intersection or before it on the road. Also the winning tactics will be for the Russians to keep at least one company of tanks unengaged while the other two fix the attacking armor in place then using the unengaged company to flank the heavy armor. All armour elements should use reverse slope movement and prepare to be as mobile as possible.

Staying as mobile as possible is a good idea.

That would indicate a central location but the Ferdinands will be invulnerable to our tank guns from the front. Which means we will need to flank them to bring effective fire on them.

Do you prefer your stated initial deployment for this?

Good Hunting.

MR

junk2drive

Post by junk2drive »

Does the blue arrow indicate the German advance and the red boxes the Soviet setup zone?
Conflict of Heroes "Most games are like checkers or chess and some have dice and cards involved too. This game plays like checkers but you think like chess and the dice and cards can change everything in real time."
heinrich55

Post by heinrich55 »

I like dazoline IIs thoughts on this. I'd keep the infantry in the woods on 254, but in sight of the two intersections closest to the woods, as noted for visibility.

I'd have one armor company to the far left, reverse slope of 254 with anticipated thrust up the left map edge and potential flanking of the main German push across the top of 254.

I'd set the center tank company in the sharp bend of the road along the back side of the woods, for a possible push through the woods onto 254 which would give them a little cover if they face off with German armor coming across 254. They could also pick up the infantry forward of them in the woods if feasible.

The third armor company would be off to the right, maybe on hill 253 if that was higher than 254. They'd be far enough back where they couldn't be seen by advancing German units coming across 254. This would allow them to rush up the right side of the map if the German advance were discovered pushing down our left flank, and allow them to take the enemy on the flank from that side.

I hate to split them up so much but it is a reconnaissance in force and we are trying to locate the enemy push.

Heinrich55
Yoozername

Post by Yoozername »

Are there Victory Locations (flags)? 
Mad Russian

Post by Mad Russian »

Our Order of Battle then is:

2nd Battalion 101st Tank Brigade.
Cpt Levchenko - 1 tank - veteran

1st Company
SLt Belov -1 tank - veteran
Lt Moiseev - 3 tanks - veteran
Lt Svetiuk - 3 tanks - veteran
Sgt Linev - 3 tanks - green

2nd Company
Lt Yerokhin - 1 tank - elite
Lt Mashkov - 3 tanks - veteran
SSgt Makhno - 3 tanks - veteran
Sgt Volodin - 3 tanks - veteran

3rd Company
SLt Breslovets - 1 tank - veteran
Lt Lipichev - 3 tanks - green
SSgt Skvortsov - 3 tanks - green
Sgt Gushchin - 3 tanks - veteran

1st Company, 1st Battalion, 26th Motorized Rifle Brigade
1st Platoon
SLt Serduik - 3 squads - veteran

2nd Platoon
Lt Puzyrev - 3 squads - veteran

Good Hunting.

MR

Mad Russian

Post by Mad Russian »

Here are the objectives.

Good Hunting.

MR

Attachments
Objectives.jpg
Objectives.jpg (38.18 KiB) Viewed 695 times

Yoozername

Post by Yoozername »

I believe the German density of indirect fire decreasing after the start of the offensive had more to do with the fact that many batteries were brought in to just be part of the opening barrage.  Including much 88mm FLAK batteries to fire indirect.  These were quickly shuffled back to where they came from since the Germans had left many areas woefully thin along the eastern front.  The Soviet pre-emptive bombardment was disruptive but I doubt it destroyed much in the way of artilly pieces themselves.
Ratzki

Post by Ratzki »

It would be nice if we could get a platoon of infantry over to that other patch of woods, but with the hills looking like they do, this would likely be difficult. Plus we really have none to spare.
I too, like the flank idea presented earlier with some armor to the left of hill 254. I would place 1 & 2 Co. there, with 3 Co. on the road south of the infantry setup area with the woods as cover. If the enemy detects our suprise on the left flank we might be able to quickly move up the road and catch him facing the first 2 Co.'s.
Yoozername

Post by Yoozername »

What is the scenario time length?  This may be a big factor for slow moving vehicles.
junk2drive

Post by junk2drive »

There are no time limits in PCO.
Conflict of Heroes "Most games are like checkers or chess and some have dice and cards involved too. This game plays like checkers but you think like chess and the dice and cards can change everything in real time."
Mad Russian

Post by Mad Russian »

ORIGINAL: Ratzki

It would be nice if we could get a platoon of infantry over to that other patch of woods, but with the hills looking like they do, this would likely be difficult. Plus we really have none to spare.

We could set an infantry platoon in the southeast of the infantry setup zone and have a tank platoon set up near them, load them and move them to the east woods if you like.

A big question to me is what do you think enemy intentions will be?

Will they advance rapidly? Come over the main part of Hill 254, move between Hill 248 and Hill 254? Secure Hill 254? Advance to Hill 253?

I would think that what you think the German intentions are would determine how you intend on stopping them.

If you think the Germans will move slowly then you have some time to reposition our infantry forces. Otherwise we may have to live with their blocking positions.

Good Hunting.

MR

Attachments
TacticalM..entArea.jpg
TacticalM..entArea.jpg (76.63 KiB) Viewed 695 times

Ratzki

Post by Ratzki »

I think tht we have to be ready to concede the three northern flagsalong the road. We have the best chances of defending the three flags closest to our setup zones. That leaves the one flag in the northeast where the road bends to be fought over. The trees can give some flank protection and with a platoon of infantry in the woods, we could have the troops take this flag as well as have somwhat of a jump point for any attacks westwards.

Return to “After Action Reports”