Matrix Games Forums

Deal of the Week Battle Academy Battle Academy 2 Out now!Legions of Steel ready for betaBattle Academy 2 gets trailers and Steam page!Deal of the Week Germany at WarSlitherine Group acquires Shenandoah StudioNew information and screenshots for Pike & ShotDeal of the Week Pride of NationsTo End All Wars Releasing on Steam! Slitherine is recruiting: Programmers required
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

D21

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Norm Koger's The Operational Art Of War III >> After Action Reports >> D21 Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
D21 - 1/13/2012 2:34:22 PM   
Edwire

Hello everyone...

I recently re-install ToaW and update to patch 3.4.. i notice there is new scenario "Directive 21" and lots of AAR here. Reading them make my adrenaline rushing, so here i am playing it..

Im still new to the new rules though, nor i've been playing well on previous TOAW III version, so any feedback and suggestions are most welcome.

I've been reading (studying) Silvanski's AAR and others as well. Lets say like german officers studying Napoleon's expedition I'll be using broad-front strategy, screening the entire front and strike wherever the Soviet is weak. At least for the first 10 turns or so.

1st Turn went well (sorry no pic) with Luftwaffe virtually wiped out any visible soviet aircraft within range and ground units making good progress.
Post #: 1
RE: D21 - 1/13/2012 2:43:42 PM   
Edwire

Significant progress were made on turn 5 :
In the North, Riga is captured.
Some soviet defenders are left surrounded in Liepaja and Ventspills, to be bombarded by RR later. Recon units dashed trough to convert as many hex as possible.

Here is the screenie around Riga:

(in reply to Edwire)
Post #: 2
RE: D21 - 1/13/2012 2:56:57 PM   
Edwire

On the center, Minsk is captured, with luck actually. My infantry slipped trough some defenders and found the city is only defended with HQ and arty's, which got RBC'ed.
The main body of AGC is still on its way from Baranavichy, southwest of Minsk.

(in reply to Edwire)
Post #: 3
RE: D21 - 1/13/2012 3:11:23 PM   
Edwire

Minimum defender were encountered south of the pripet marsh, so SS Wiking, SS Das Reich, supported by some infantry and panzer divisions dashed trough the Stalin Line's north flank.

My recon units got too far ahead and surrounded, but luckily not eliminated. In fact, the recon unit, supported by Luftwaffe, did a good job defending himself and exhausting the surrounding Soviet Mech Corps. When the panzer spearhead arrives, the encircler become encircled. This greatly soften the Soviet Line.

(in reply to Edwire)
Post #: 4
RE: D21 - 1/13/2012 3:19:09 PM   
Edwire

And finally this is the situation on the Rumanian front...

(in reply to Edwire)
Post #: 5
RE: D21 - 1/15/2012 3:56:31 AM   
Edwire

Turn 8

I've been pushing my army to the limits, especially my panzers. Most of the time they only have supply below 10%. But i also notice the soviets are just the same, most of the time their defenders are on orange dots, so i continue to push despite the low supply.

Here is the situation on AGN :

Pskov is well defended. I decided to swing by using pioneers and surround them. The SS units will lead the attack on the city later.

On the peninsula, 38th Infantry Korps is moving to mop up the soviets defenders in haapsalu and Tallinin.

Here is my plan :
41 Pz Korps is to push and lure the enemy to Narva
16th Army (dark blue font) is to surround and defeat the defenders at Pskov, then dash to Luga River bridgehead, in hope to trap lured soviet troops on Narva (red circle). If successful, the offensive will continue and siege leningrad as soon as possible.

(in reply to Edwire)
Post #: 6
RE: D21 - 1/15/2012 4:17:16 AM   
Edwire

T8

On the North East, my Panzers successfully captured Velikiye Luki

The panzers will continue to advance, one to Staraya Russia, and one to advance to Kalinnin, an ambitious goal. I know both goal wont be achieved without infantry support, at least they will harass the soviet line there.

(in reply to Edwire)
Post #: 7
RE: D21 - 1/15/2012 4:30:32 AM   
Edwire

T 8

Central Front, Dnieper River

Army Group Center encounter strong soviet defensive line consisting of tanks and mechanized infantry from Vitebsk to Dubrovno. Other bridgehead also seems to be well defended. AGC will try tou flank the line from the south, where pioneers will establish bridgehead and followed up by floods of infantry and panzers.

I landed brandendburger to hamper soviet rail behind their defensive line.

Actually, a flanking attack from Surazh in the front seems very promising, but i dont have reserve in that area and troops need to turn around too far

(in reply to Edwire)
Post #: 8
RE: D21 - 1/15/2012 4:41:44 AM   
Edwire

T8, Dnieper River

South of Smolensk, 4th Armee and 2nd Pz Armee continue to advance. All bridgehead seems to be guarded well. However, recon unit found that the bridge in Brykhov is not. The panzers will strike from there and Zhlobin simultaneously. Their main target is Bryansk in the east.

(in reply to Edwire)
Post #: 9
RE: D21 - 1/15/2012 4:54:23 AM   
Edwire

T8, Kiev, South Front

AGS have encountered solid soviet defensive line in Kiev. Reading from other AAR, attacking head on seems to be costly, so i will try to envelope them from North with SS troops and some panzer division and from South with the panzer army. I notice both bridgehead is guarded by soviet immobile arty and attacking them is costly, but i hope the trapped soviet troops in Kiev will make up for it.

I also hope Soviet doesn't have enough reserve to plug both holes i'm trying to make

(in reply to Edwire)
Post #: 10
RE: D21 - 1/15/2012 10:43:45 AM   
Nowi Ribak

Very nice advance!

How many HRS did you lose so far?

Love it to see another D21 AAR - keep on going.

(in reply to Edwire)
Post #: 11
RE: D21 - 1/15/2012 4:10:37 PM   
Edwire

quote:

ORIGINAL: Nowi Ribak

Very nice advance!

How many HRS did you lose so far?

Love it to see another D21 AAR - keep on going.

Thanks
Actually im already on turn 13 now.. If i remember correctly, i lost around 9-10k HRS on turn 8. I lost quite a lot of recon units though.

(in reply to Nowi Ribak)
Post #: 12
RE: D21 - 1/15/2012 4:15:24 PM   
Edwire

Turn 10, Murmansk Area

Elmer pulled back, leaving 1 division in charge of the defense. This is a great chance for me to gain the momentum. I will surround and eliminate that lone division.

(in reply to Edwire)
Post #: 13
RE: D21 - 1/15/2012 4:19:06 PM   
Edwire

T 10, Alakurrti, South of Murmansk

After dealing with the immobile defenders, to my surprise, there are 2 surrounded soviet divisions in the forest. They are well supplied for the moment however, and i think it will take several weeks to take care of them. The overall battle in northern Arctic region seems promising.

(in reply to Edwire)
Post #: 14
RE: D21 - 1/15/2012 4:26:29 PM   
Edwire

T10, Army Group North, Pskov Region

The encirclement is complete. Pskov is completely surrounded despite the Soviet attempt to counter attack with motorized division, which got eliminated on T9. The original plan will continue to lure and trap the Soviets in Narva.

*ahem, pardon my painting skill*

(in reply to Edwire)
Post #: 15
RE: D21 - 1/15/2012 4:36:57 PM   
Edwire

T10, North East

39th Pz Korps (black font) dashed to Staraya Russa. I'm planning to end the north east offensive there, then shift the panzers either to Leningrad or Moscow. Recon unit found the city is well defended, but their flanks are not. 7th Panzer Division led a daring flanking attack east of the city while 20th Panzer Division keep the western area in check. I made a big risk here. If the soviet counter attacks, the 7th Panzer division could very well be done for.

Meanwhile in the south, 56th Pz Korps meet resistance in the woods of Toropets. The panzers are too tired to dislodge them, and the flank is very thin. They will stop there for a while.

(in reply to Edwire)
Post #: 16
RE: D21 - 1/15/2012 4:54:42 PM   
Edwire

T10, Army Group Center, West of Smolensk

The soviet line proved to be a tough one. With limited supply, 8th Infantry Korps will hold and probe the line while 2nd Pz Armee (spread trough the central front line to encircle the defenders), 20th Korps, and 6th Korps will attack the southern flank. Bridge are made by the engineers and Panzers are sent to surround Orsha and Shklov.

43rd Korps (6th Armee) are also surrounding Mogilev.

< Message edited by Edwire -- 1/15/2012 4:56:58 PM >

(in reply to Edwire)
Post #: 17
RE: D21 - 1/15/2012 5:04:14 PM   
Edwire

T10, Central - South Front, Dnieper River

2nd Pz Armee break out from Zhlobin and move to east without much opposition this turn. Gomel is guarded though, so i sent a flanking unit to surround the defenders from both side. 4th Armee follows closely behind while in the north 43rd Korps attack Mogilev.

(in reply to Edwire)
Post #: 18
RE: D21 - 1/15/2012 5:17:22 PM   
Edwire

T10, South Front, Kiev

The battle has been though, but the SS Corps (SS Wiking, SS Das Reich, and SS Reich Fuhrer) managed to broke trough the northern defender with heavy loses! SS Wiking are down to 5% strength in terms of HRS (18/306 HRS) in the previous turn!!

However, the SS units are in high priority to get replacement, so the following turns SS Wiking are ready to get back into action

The south envelope met stubborn resistance. Looks like Elmer caught what i'm trying to do and ship a lot of reinforcement to Kaniv. I spot another potential bridgehead though. I will use pioneer and cross the bridge. It is defended by a coastal arty, but its much better than defended with 1 coastal arty + 3 entrenched divisions.

This delayed the southern envelope movement and the north envelope is in danger of being attacked and surrounded.

< Message edited by Edwire -- 1/15/2012 5:39:31 PM >

(in reply to Edwire)
Post #: 19
RE: D21 - 1/15/2012 5:29:44 PM   
Edwire

T10, Rumanian Front, Odessa

Rumanian Army and 11th Army successfully crossed Dniester River, but the defenders in Tiraspol hold out. Remaining Rumanian unit approach Odessa moving to secure the northern flank.

(in reply to Edwire)
Post #: 20
RE: D21 - 1/21/2012 4:11:16 PM   
Edwire

T11, AGC, West of Smolensk

On murmansk front, the Axis made steady gain, but not much. Finnish army is still frozen. AGN does not see much action last turn, except probing Pskov defenders and harassing Narva defensive line.

The soviet line in Dubrovno is penetrated, and a hole is cracking Rudnya, spliting the defenders in two. However supply already become a major problem now, as the Rail has not even reached Minsk.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Edwire)
Post #: 21
RE: D21 - 1/21/2012 4:21:55 PM   
Edwire

T11, AGS, Kiev

1st Pz Armee finally managed to break trough the coastal arty and Kiev is now encircled completely. Elmer moved an infantry division from east, but obviously not enough to threaten the flank. Reinforcement are rushed to widen the encirclement.

Lots of troops have been lost enveloping Kiev, but lots of Soviet army is now trapped (Also not the red dot stack soviet troops at Kaniv). But encircled army is not a destroyed army, and Kiev is a fortress. Capturing it completely will still require some effort.

Note : This is the beginning of T11, but i moved some obvious unit movement, such as the SS Lah behind Kaniv.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Edwire -- 1/21/2012 4:24:12 PM >

(in reply to Edwire)
Post #: 22
RE: D21 - 1/22/2012 4:21:52 AM   
Edwire

T13, Murmansk Front

After the Soviet pulled back from Litsa river, Axis Gebribs unit pursue and caught up. The soviet defenders surprisingly are concentrated in 1 hex. Being a bold commander, the 20th Geb Armee Commander order the encirclement and annihilation of the Soviet defenders. Even the Division HQ is used to block their escape route.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Edwire)
Post #: 23
RE: D21 - 1/22/2012 4:41:27 AM   
Edwire

T13, AGN, Luga River

After the destruction of Soviet defenders in Pskov, 23th Inf Korps marched north to trap the Soviet defenders in Narva. The amount of soviet defenders in Narva are much less than i expected. Could it be that the Soviet does not have more reserve in North Front, or they simply wait behind Luga River?

If the Soviet indeed defend Luga River, 26th Korps and 41st Pz Korps will be transferred to AGC. If not, might as well surround and capture Leningrad in 1941 if possible.

(in reply to Edwire)
Post #: 24
RE: D21 - 1/22/2012 4:58:07 AM   
Edwire

T13, AGC, Smolensk

After bloody fighting, AGC finally capture Smolensk and rounded the Soviet defenders at Vitebsk. Most of the infantry dudes are on orange dots. It will be only a matter of time before they turn red. I'm starting to doubt i can capture Moscow in 1941.

In a little bit south, 48th Pz Korps reach the vicinity of Bryansk. However, it is guarded by fresh Soviet infantry and tanks. Seems like the battle of bryansk will also be a bloody one.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Edwire)
Post #: 25
RE: D21 - 1/22/2012 5:11:12 AM   
Edwire

T13, AGS, Kiev

Around 2 Soviet Armies are trapped in Kiev and i'm using whatever i can to expand the circle to the east (even Pioneers lol). Attacking the fortress with Infantry has resulted with heavy loss. Seems like the Panzer must do the job from east.

Any other ideas to annihilate the trapped Soviets with small loss? (i'm being greedy lol)

On an annoying note, the soviet Arty suddenly reconstitute just south of Kaniv, and in range to bombard Korsun airfield, which they did i lost some 10-20 Me 109 and 10-20 CR-32 (Hungarian AF) because of it.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Edwire)
Post #: 26
RE: D21 - 1/31/2012 1:40:30 PM   
Edwire

T14, 6 August 1941, Berlin, OKH

It has been 1,5 month since Operation Barbarossa started. Initially the offensive went well, but logistic problems and increasing Soviet restance starting to slow and ultimately halt the advance. OKH need to focus on their objective, North, Center, or South?

Since the logistic officer is lazy, only recently he reported the full detail of OKH armament.
Boxed in red means i'm losing much more than i produce. I know some of them are normal, but im still worried.

I guess pushing my reccon units mean i'm losing quite a lot of it.

I already lost quite a lot of tanks. Is it normal?
Hungarian and Italian only was little action while Rumanian and Finnish engage heavily with the Soviets.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Edwire -- 1/31/2012 1:42:06 PM >

(in reply to Edwire)
Post #: 27
RE: D21 - 2/2/2012 12:51:07 PM   
Edwire

T16, AGN, Luga River

After series of analysis, planning, and debate, OKH decided launch operation "Leningrad Must Fall!"

Background :
Supply in the north area have been greatly improved in the last few turns, and the reconnaissance shows that most soviet troops are moving to Moscow area. This means other area should be lightly defended.

Objective :
Complete encirclement of Leningrad.

Operation :
Led by SS Polizei, 41st Pz Korps dashed forward and met the Leningrad outer defense. Their orders are to harass only while the rest of the Pz division head north to Oranienbaum to cut the supply point while 23rd Infantry Korps, in conjunction with 26th Infantry ,5th Infantry Korps and 10th Infantry Krosp to cut the Life Road in Novaya Ladoga. Let's see how this will turn out....

On another note, the Red Banner fleet have been sighted. They must sunk!
Finnish Army also made tremendous gain, already capturing Viipuri and partly at their western Stop Line.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Edwire)
Post #: 28
RE: D21 - 2/2/2012 1:18:30 PM   
Edwire

T16, AGC, Orel

OKH have revised their overall objective. Moscow is not primary objective anymore, instead, reserves will be sent to AGN and AGS (like historical eh?). There will be limited advance, perhaps as far as Vyazma, but definetly not Moscow. AGC will try to capture Soviet Industrial cities south of Moscow (Orel, Tula, etc), then drive South. 4th Armee will stop at Oka River to cover the flank.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Edwire)
Post #: 29
RE: D21 - 2/2/2012 1:28:37 PM   
Edwire

T16, AGS, Southern Ukraina

Kiev finally fall. After brief rest, 6th Armee and 1st Pz Armee will advance to Kharkov.

Meanwhile, 17th Armee and Axis ally have complete the conquest of Southern Ukraina without much opposition (although Soviet reconstitute behind the line (in red circle)). Found an unguarded crossing south of Zaporozhe, infantry will be sent to circle around.

Odessa still holds, but should fall this turn.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Edwire)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Norm Koger's The Operational Art Of War III >> After Action Reports >> D21 Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI