From: La Salle, Colorado
Battle off Enggano
June 4-6, 1942
Days 8-10 of the Battle
Man ohhhh man.
Time for some overview and details as to movements/plans:
June 4th is a horrific day for the Allied Fleet! As stated above three separate STF get into the Allied Invasion Force TF's at Benkoelen. The first TF is BC's Hiei--Kirishima, a CA, and 4 DDs. The second is 4 DD coming up from Batavia. Lastly BC's Kongo--Haruna and CL Agano pay a visit. These TF brush aside the 6 DD trying to protect the transports and LAY WASTE. My ships fire off---literally---ALL their torps, large ammo, secondary ammo, and 25MM ammo. CRAZY. Another 2,000 solders drown as well as lots of vehicles and guns. By the end of it the Allied Fleet loses 24 AP, 10 AK, CL Hobart, and 4 DDs. Air power adds to this by plastering an AM, 4 AK, and 4 PG plus damaging at least 30-40 more vessels. Run out of TTs and have to order some more...
Lew begins to pull back--apparently--and try to salvage things by sending some TF up the coast of Sumatra while pulling more out and sending them to sea.
June 5th sees an attempt to either A. Widen the Beachhead or B. Save a few troops from drowning as a TF begins unloading the remains of some units at Padang. Padang is held to two full-strength Naval Guard units behind Sz-3 Forts but it is very worrisome since CVL Shoho is disbanded their doing some repairs with an AR. NOT GOOD.
Weather closes a number of AF but strike still get through and add to the carnage. Minimum losses include: DD Norman, 5 large APs, and an AK. Damage is done to about the same number of other ships.
I bring my two damaged CVs (Hiryu and Zuiho) out of protection and send them to intercept the TF's moving away from Sumatra. Each has about 25 SYS damage so this is a risk but I want to get a few more ships before they are out of range. The KB sweeps towards Ceylon hoping to cutoff the retreat of the Allied CVs and anything else substantial.
June 6th brings in better weather and the strikes range out quickly. Only 3 AP are confirmed sunk but 12 more AP, a few AK, and a DD are hit repeatedly. Soryu and her damaged companion contribute. In something that I CANNOT imagine he brings the QUEEN MARY back into range by trying to land more at Padang. This day sees Vals plant 5 bombs on her and I expect to see her sunk tomorrow. Am more excited over a chance to sink this iconic vessel then an American CV! OK. Maybe not...
My Naval Guard attack and force two unit fragments to surrender at Padang. The Brit 44th ID is spotted here. Haven't ever even heard of this ID!
1. Finally drop off an Air Flotilla at Palembang so I shall have many more TTs tomorrow.
2. Sabang just conveniently went to a Sz-2 AF. Will move Vals and Kates there after tomorrow.
3. KB spotted shipping at a range of 10 during the afternoon. Order the CVs further into the IO to GET THEM!
4. He has 6 units moved out from Benkoelen apparently heading for Palembang. I have an Inf Reg, Air Flotilla, and large BF holding the base presently. Imperial Guards-C is being airlifted into the base between Palembang and Benkoelen. They shall serve to slow him as my reinforcements approach.
5. The full strength 33rd ID and two remaining Brigades of the Imperial Guards will begin unloading within 2-3 days.
6. Am bringing two more Inf Reg (including 90th) to Oosthaven and they will then drive north to threaten Benkoelen.
That is the state of this Allied Disaster. Am going to try to total the MINIMUM Allied losses for the fight with my next entry.
< Message edited by John 3rd -- 9/12/2012 9:31:40 PM >