Matrix Games Forums

Deal of the Week - Pride of NationsA new update for Piercing Fortress EuropaNew screenshots for War in the West!Pike & Shot is now available!Server Maintenance Battle Academy 2 gets updated!Deal of the Week: Advanced Tactics Gold Ask Buzz Aldrin!Pike & Shot gets Release Date and Twitch Session!Deal of the Week Espana 1936
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Will it work on Win7/64 bit?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Classic (Free) Games] >> War In Russia: The Matrix Edition >> Will it work on Win7/64 bit? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Will it work on Win7/64 bit? - 1/9/2012 9:46:09 AM   
sanderz

Hi

Have just downloaded this and run wir.exe but it errors - probably because its 64bit Win7 - anyone know of a way to get this running?

many thanks
Post #: 1
RE: Will it work on Win7/64 bit? - 1/9/2012 11:06:53 AM   
sanderz

Ooops - forgot this was a DOS game - it works fine with DOSBOX
http://www.dosbox.com/download.php?main=1

and found this front end very good and easy to use
http://www.loonies.narod.ru/dosshell.htm

(in reply to sanderz)
Post #: 2
RE: Will it work on Win7/64 bit? - 2/25/2012 10:32:44 PM   
darko

I cant seem to make these work, help needed please, complete computer dos iliterate here!

(in reply to sanderz)
Post #: 3
RE: Will it work on Win7/64 bit? - 2/26/2012 6:53:20 PM   
Rasputitsa

http://www.dosbox.com/download.php?main=1

From this link download and install Windows 0.74 Windows 32 Installer, this will give you DOSBox

DOSBox by itself can be a problem to use, so Frontend software has been produced which allows you to run DOSBox more easily.

From the Frontends section, of the same link, download a frontend product of your choice, I am using DOSShell for windows, about halfway down the list.

When you have installed DOSShell you should have a DOSShell icon (if it's not already on the desktop, look in the program list, it's in Loonies), put a copy of that icon where you can find it.

Click on the DOSShell icon to open DOSShell and you will get the DOSShell working page.

First thing to do, by using 'Preferences' (from the 'Edit' menu), is to show it where DOSBox is installed (see readme)

Now add WIR (use Green Cross to add a game, by showing where the wir.exe file is - you find that in the main WIR folder) and you can add any other DOS games into DOSShell, which will then use DOSBox to run them.

Once you have added a game into DOSShell you will have an icon for it in the DOSShell page, which you click to run the game. The game initially runs in a window, but there are controls to get full screen, which we can discuss later.

So what is happening is that you access the game by first running DOSShell, which in turns runs DOSBox for you, which in turn runs WIR. Sounds complicated, but when you get it set up it is very easy to run the game.

This all looks daunting, but step by step it is not too bad, once set up with a couple of clicks you can be running a 80's DOS game in a 21st. Century system. I am still running WIR, Western Front, Carrier Strike and Pacific War - another free download from Matrix.

Attached below is the readme for DOSShell, so you can see some of what you have to do.

DOSSBox has an operating Manual, but DOSShell frontend will do all that for you when it has been set up.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Rasputitsa -- 2/26/2012 9:34:44 PM >

"We have to go from where we are, not from where we would like to be" - me

(in reply to sanderz)
Post #: 4
RE: Will it work on Win7/64 bit? - 12/16/2012 6:11:51 AM   
LesToreadors

There is a newer DosBox frontend out there called "D-Fend Reloaded". No configuration needed, just run the game via D-Fend and you'll be good to go in seconds.

(in reply to Rasputitsa)
Post #: 5
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Classic (Free) Games] >> War In Russia: The Matrix Edition >> Will it work on Win7/64 bit? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI