Moon Phases - Lunation

Command Ops: Battles From The Bulge takes the highly acclaimed Airborne Assault engine back to the West Front for the crucial engagements during the Ardennes Offensive. Test your command skills in the fiery crucible of Airborne Assault’s “pausable continuous time” uber-realistic game engine. It's up to you to develop the strategy, issue the orders, set the pace, and try to win the laurels of victory in the cold, shadowy Ardennes.
Command Ops: Highway to the Reich brings us to the setting of one of the most epic and controversial battles of World War II: Operation Market-Garden, covering every major engagement along Hell’s Highway, from the surprise capture of Joe’s Bridge by the Irish Guards a week before the offensive to the final battles on “The Island” south of Arnhem.

Moderators: Panther Paul, Arjuna

RockinHarry

Moon Phases - Lunation

Post by RockinHarry »

Is these modelled in the game?

Here´s a table for 1944, for those interested:

German language website

I can not tell moon phase by the weather info panel in upper left hand corner, so I was interested (night time visibility).

Beginning of the Bulge offensive (12.16) started with new moon btw
RockinHarry in the web:

https://www.facebook.com/harry.zann
rfrizz

RE: Moon Phases - Lunation

Post by rfrizz »

Good point. Look at D-Day. While the tides were a big concern, the airborne troops needed a full moon, and the Normandy landings needed a low tide.

Looking at The Bulge, it seem to make sense that in any combat situation, a full moon on a mostly clear would aid a unit defending an east-west road. How much? I don't know.

Any vets with knowledge?
RockinHarry

RE: Moon Phases - Lunation

Post by RockinHarry »

In map editor one can set visibility modifiers for all moon phases, so I think moonlight effects are built into the game, yet not shown in weather tab. Simple test: With the max Vis of 10k, one should roughly have around 3k in a clear weather, full moon night.

Edit: With historical new moon at night of december 16. 1944, one should have 1000m or less Vis according to map tables. I opened "Assault on the Saur" (12.16.44) and see 1500m with moderate fog setting. Hm....[&:]

Another Edit: The Area LOS tool reveals below 1k visibility for the scenario, so it looks, everything is in order.[:)]

Request: Add the moonphase info to the weather info panel (graphically and/or for the tooltip).
RockinHarry in the web:

https://www.facebook.com/harry.zann

Return to “Command Ops Series”