Matrix Games Forums

Happy Easter!Battle Academy is now available on SteamPlayers compare Ageods Civil War to Civil War IIDeal of the week - An updated War in the East goes half Price!Sign up for the Qvadriga beta for iPad and Android!Come and say hi at Pax and SaluteLegends of War goes on sale!Piercing Fortress Europa Gets UpdatedBattle Academy Mega Pack is now availableClose Combat: Gateway to Caen Teaser Trailer
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

No more physical game manuals?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> No more physical game manuals? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
No more physical game manuals? - 1/7/2012 10:35:43 PM   
Lebatron

I just got Unity of Command in the mail today and first thing I noticed was how light it felt even before I ripped open the envelope. I guessed before I looked inside that there would be no manual in there. I paid $10 more to get the physical copy because I wanted a real life game manual and not a PDF. So my question is when did Matrix Games change their policy from a few years ago? I remember when they announced, a few years back, that all new games going forward were going to ship with a manual. My copy of War Between the States was a product of that new policy. It came with the extra large clamshell to house the manual. Many previous games had the thin clamshell. The funny thing is Unity of Command could have been shipped in the thin clamshell, but they stuffed it into the fat one like some kind of joke. I hate reading PDF's. So was this new policy of always including a game manual short lived, or did Unity of Command just fall through the cracks?

Jesse LeBreton, AKA Lebatron
Development team- GG's WAW A World Divided
Post #: 1
RE: No more physical game manuals? - 1/8/2012 2:05:22 AM   
wodin

I thought they had stopped doing printed manuals ages ago except when specifically advertised.

last game I had from them which had a very good manual was HTTR.

My Tactical wargame facebook page.

https://www.facebook.com/Tacticalwargame

(in reply to Lebatron)
Post #: 2
RE: No more physical game manuals? - 1/8/2012 2:08:18 AM   
PipFromSlitherine

Sorry you didn't get what you expected. I believe that the 'type' of boxed product is shown on the product page. DX (Digital Express) comes with a digital manual, ST (Standard) and CL (Collectors) editions come with printed manuals in b/w and colour respectively. I'm pretty sure these variants have been the norm for quite some time on the site.

Going OT... I'm pushing for SE (Special) editions, with all kinds of cool stuff, but mainly because I want us to make some custom USB drives to replace the CDs. Sherman USB anyone .

Cheers

Pip

(in reply to Lebatron)
Post #: 3
RE: No more physical game manuals? - 1/10/2012 4:50:21 PM   
Lebatron

Ok I see. I didn't look at the DX description. I just assumed boxed copy meant that it would come with a printed book. The reason why I made that assumption was that back in 2008, I think, Carl R., at least I think it was him, made the announcement that all boxed games were going to have a printed book from then on. I don't care to find that thread because it's long buried, but I remember it clearly that that was the intent. My observation was clearly to point out that I did not forget that post, and secondly I wanted to know when Matrix backed down from that commitment. I can guess now that the idea was scrapped and the DX, ST, CL editions evolved from that initial statement.

Jesse LeBreton, AKA Lebatron
Development team- GG's WAW A World Divided

(in reply to PipFromSlitherine)
Post #: 4
RE: No more physical game manuals? - 1/10/2012 5:32:57 PM   
flipperwasirish

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lebatron

Ok I see. I didn't look at the DX description. I just assumed boxed copy meant that it would come with a printed book. The reason why I made that assumption was that back in 2008, I think, Carl R., at least I think it was him, made the announcement that all boxed games were going to have a printed book from then on. I don't care to find that thread because it's long buried, but I remember it clearly that that was the intent. My observation was clearly to point out that I did not forget that post, and secondly I wanted to know when Matrix backed down from that commitment. I can guess now that the idea was scrapped and the DX, ST, CL editions evolved from that initial statement.

I believe the current structure (DX, ST, CL) evolved from issues some people had buying a game and the box coming ONLY with a disc which used a PDF manual. My recollection is that Matrix committed (at the time) to including a printed manual (color or b/w) in all of thier non-DX releases. As far as I know, this is still what they do.

For myself, as long as the manual is done well, I can live with PDF as I like to print it out using a LARGE size font anyway. The older I get, the harder it is for my eyes to read the little printed manuals.

Flipper

(in reply to Lebatron)
Post #: 5
RE: No more physical game manuals? - 1/10/2012 6:26:38 PM   
LarryP

It made me very sad when paper manuals got replaced by electronic ones. The printed manual that came with WiTP-AE was printed in China. Sign of the times I suppose.

(in reply to Lebatron)
Post #: 6
RE: No more physical game manuals? - 1/10/2012 7:07:04 PM   
Perturabo

quote:

ORIGINAL: LarryP

It made me very sad when paper manuals got replaced by electronic ones. The printed manual that came with WiTP-AE was printed in China. Sign of the times I suppose.

Sadly price of people's work is mutable in this world. It is possible to dodge the workers rights by outsourcing work to countries that don't respect them.

Without social solidarity manifested in the form of welfare state, people inhabiting one territory are a non-nation of mortal enemies engaged in competition for survival.

(in reply to LarryP)
Post #: 7
RE: No more physical game manuals? - 1/10/2012 7:13:08 PM   
LarryP

quote:

ORIGINAL: Perturabo

quote:

ORIGINAL: LarryP

Sadly price of people's work is mutable in this world. It is possible to dodge the workers rights by outsourcing work to countries that don't respect them.

That would definitely be China then. My wife's bank account got hijacked a month ago by a company in China. Wiped it out electronically. They posed as PayPal and did a good job of it too. Left about $9 in it so I guess we owe them that too.

(in reply to Perturabo)
Post #: 8
RE: No more physical game manuals? - 1/11/2012 1:07:47 PM   
Anguille

I also prefer printed manuals...never managed to finish reading an e-document...

Armada 2526 Supernova and Distant Worlds - Legends: the ultimate space strategy games are HERE in the Matrix

Pushing it to the limits: an Armada 2526 AAR

(in reply to LarryP)
Post #: 9
RE: No more physical game manuals? - 1/11/2012 2:15:41 PM   
Perturabo

quote:

ORIGINAL: Anguille

I also prefer printed manuals...never managed to finish reading an e-document...

Even if it was 2 pages long?

Without social solidarity manifested in the form of welfare state, people inhabiting one territory are a non-nation of mortal enemies engaged in competition for survival.

(in reply to Anguille)
Post #: 10
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> No more physical game manuals? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI