Spaceport retrofitting anomaly

Post bug reports and ask for support here.

Moderators: Icemania, elliotg

feelotraveller

Spaceport retrofitting anomaly

Post by feelotraveller »

In my most recent game I started by retrofitting the spaceport. I played around with all the other bits and pieces saved and then unpaused. A little under 4 weeks game time later my spaceport retrofit finished well ahead of when I thought it would. When I checked it out, however, it had not retrofitted at all. All components were the same as the original design and only the name had been changed (I name my designs).

I thought about firing my construction manager for corruption but then had a better idea. I time travelled back to my saved game, reloaded and tried again, after checking that I had indeed ordered the retrofit correctly. (Deleting the retrofit from the queue and unpausing resulted in production of components reserved for the retrofit...) So I unpaused the save and... the same thing happened again, quick retrofit which changed only the design name. [:@]

Not being prone to giving up easily after another attempt at restarting from the save (which gave the same results) I quit DW, rebooted my computer and some time later again reloaded the initial save. Unpaused and... no problem at all. Something over seven weeks game time later the retrofit was complete and it was the design I had initially ordered. [&o]

I have a savegame (obviously) but not sure what good it will do. I thought it worth mentioning as this is the second time that I have had this false retrofitting occur at the beginning of a game. I think the first time I got the retrofitting to work by simply reloading the initial save and did not have to reboot but I am a little hazy on this.
feelotraveller

RE: Spaceport retrofitting anomaly

Post by feelotraveller »

Same game a year later and I have had a similar problem with retrofitting a constructor. After finishing their initial builds I queued up all three constructors for refitting using the selection window icon. The first two retrofitted fine but the third was 'completed' without having anything update (even its name). The other two took 13 days to retrofit - the third was 'completed' in 6 days. There are no resource issues. I was not able to get this ship to retrofit properly despite reloading, rebooting, etc. I have a savegame which could be useful as this one seems to always reproduce.
Evil Steve

Post by Evil Steve »

there does seem to be an issue with retrofitting spaceports on reload: it's hard to track down, but appears to be something on the lines of if you save a game while a spaceport is in the process of retrofitting, a reload will revert the spaceport to the orginal size, and subsequent attempts to retrofit will leave the spaceport at the same original size

or some such

steve
sbach2o

Post by sbach2o »

I have observed the same phenomenon in at least two instances: A space port retrofitting in seemingly no time, but the retrofit happene only in name why the actual outfit remained the old design. It is annoying as heck because the game really thinks the base is of the new design, so I can't just try again.

I have no idea what may have caused it. I do not think a game reload was involved, but I could be wrong.

I have no save game to offer, I think (Well, maybe I kept one, showing the situation after the fact?).
elliotg

Post by elliotg »

Hi feelotraveller

I tested retrofitting a space port with a save between initiating the retrofit and completion, but all worked fine for me. So there must be some other factor involved in your case.

Feel free to upload your savegame and I can investigate using the steps you've outlined here to reproduce the problem.

Thanks
Elliot
feelotraveller

Post by feelotraveller »

Okay I'll have a hunt for some savegames for you. Try to upload later today.

What I have noticed (I had this problem again in another game) is that this happens when I queue the retrofit by a method other than right clicking. (From the bases screen for spaceports and via the button on the selected item window for contructors.) I never experienced this problem by right clicking the retrofit. But it does not always happen. In the most recent example I worked around the problem by returning to a save prior to when the spaceport dropped into the construction yard from the build queue. But loading the save while it was in the construction yard resulted in it always mis-retrofitting. Vaguenesses by hopefully they narrow down the hunting...
feelotraveller

Post by feelotraveller »

Two savegames uploaded:

misretrofitqueued.dwg
misretrofitbuilding.dwg

The first 'queued' version is for reference if you need it. This was the save I returned to and the spaceport retrofited properly.

The second 'building' version is a few days game time later with the spaceport having progressed to the homeworld construction yard. Loading this savegame has always resulted in a misretrofit (it happens way too quickly about 6 days total from previous constructor completed) where the spaceport does not change any of its components, only its name changes.

(I don't know what the cause is but it seems to me that the problem happens when the retrofit drops into the construction yard...)

Hope this helps. [:)]
feelotraveller

Post by feelotraveller »

Hi Elliot.  A couple of months have passed. 

I wonder if you have looked at my saves yet?

feelotraveller

Post by feelotraveller »

Hi, I am curious about what happened (or didn't [:)]) about this issue.

A last gasp effort to see addressed before next non-beta update.
Kadrush

Post by Kadrush »

I found that the issue was related to order the retrofit, wait for it to start, save, quit, and them reload the game.

Also I have the impression that the issue have a secondary relation with the use of the game editor.

Dont know if anyone agrees...just my 2 cents...
endoric_MatrixForum

Post by endoric_MatrixForum »

now i have to go double check all my space ports for this huh?
feelotraveller

Post by feelotraveller »

ORIGINAL: Kadrush

I found that the issue was related to order the retrofit, wait for it to start, save, quit, and them reload the game.

Also I have the impression that the issue have a secondary relation with the use of the game editor.

Dont know if anyone agrees...just my 2 cents...

Firstly to confirm that this painful bug is alive and thriving in 1.7.0.16.

Secondly, my recent experience tends to confirm that indeed the problem occurs when loading a saved game where the retrofit has started. When I returned to an earlier save where the job was still only queued the retrofit completed properly.

Third to ask if anyone has a workaround? Like changing betweening spaceports sizes stopping it, or something?

Fourthly, see there, that's a bug can someone please pull the trigger? [:)]
Pipewrench

Post by Pipewrench »

feelotraveller,

I cannot reproduce this with a fresh game start running vanilla with latest updates.

I have saved at the beginning and created new designs for a base, destroyer and constructor using a mixture of copy as new and manually upgrade functions.

I also insured that at the old ship designs were set to obsolete while the old base design was still active.

I let time go until ships entered base's shipyards.

Saved and let time progress. All ships and bases upgraded properly.

Reloaded saved game and let time progress. Again all ships upgraded properly.

I preformed this twice once drop down menu commands and one with selection panel retrofit button. My automation mode is set to expert with all check boxes selected.

Was there something I missed?
I want to recreate this bug but I must be missing a step.
“We are limited only by our imagination and our will to act.”
– Ron Garan
Theluin

Post by Theluin »

This bug affects bases retrofitted at planets and not ships retrofitted at spaceports [:)]
Pipewrench

Post by Pipewrench »

ORIGINAL: Theluin

This bug affects bases retrofitted at planets and not ships retrofitted at spaceports [:)]

as quoted from above:

I have saved at the beginning and created new designs for a base, destroyer and constructor using a mixture of copy as new and manually upgrade functions.

and

All ships and bases upgraded properly.

base infers medium space port due to the fact that you cannot retrofit a mining base or any other base without a colony present. I will use bold from now on and refrain from using short cut wording to be more clear. Apologies [;)]
– Ron Garan
Theluin

Post by Theluin »

Oh sorry, I missed the base part as in the latter part of your post you don't mention it [:D]
Pipewrench

Post by Pipewrench »

Theluin,

Dont apologize, my comment back was meant as a happy snark.
– Ron Garan
feelotraveller

Post by feelotraveller »

Firstly the bug appears with items retrofitted at a colony. Mostly this has been the spaceport, but I have also seen it with constructors. I presume that it might also be possible with resupplyships and other bases but have not confirmed this.

I cannot guarantee you will get this bug first time but here is how you will get it.

Take your spaceport design, copy as new, give it a new name and change some components.  (I have often run into the bug when removing the labs from my spaceport so you could try that change...)  Save the new design.  Now order the spaceport to retrofit.  (I don't think now that the method of giving this order matters but last time the bug happened I gave the order from the construction yards screen.)  Wait until the spaceport retrofit proceeds from the building queue to the planetary construction yard.  Save the game immediately, that is, before any work is done on the retrofit.

Now load that save.  Let the game play.  Several days later (maybe a week?) the spaceport retrofit completed should be announced.  Select the spaceport, it will have the new name but the old components, cost and size.  [Optional: grind teeth.]

If for some reason this does not produce the bug first time through give it a couple more attempts.  I think that you will see the bug.  I certainly do and several others have also noticed it, so it is not something peculiar to my computer.  [:)]
Pipewrench

Post by Pipewrench »

feelotraveller,

thanks ,

I will run a couple of things to see how this bug fires.
– Ron Garan
Pipewrench

Post by Pipewrench »

feelotraveller,

I thank you for your post. I never noticed this problem before. I now notice that any fleet that is on auto will not accept a general retrofit command from F11. It does not have a problem taking the money.[;)]

had no idea I was wasting money......

cheers.

retrofit cancel

– Ron Garan

Return to “Tech Support”