Defend insitu vs retake position

Command Ops: Battles From The Bulge takes the highly acclaimed Airborne Assault engine back to the West Front for the crucial engagements during the Ardennes Offensive. Test your command skills in the fiery crucible of Airborne Assault’s “pausable continuous time” uber-realistic game engine. It's up to you to develop the strategy, issue the orders, set the pace, and try to win the laurels of victory in the cold, shadowy Ardennes.
Command Ops: Highway to the Reich brings us to the setting of one of the most epic and controversial battles of World War II: Operation Market-Garden, covering every major engagement along Hell’s Highway, from the surprise capture of Joe’s Bridge by the Irish Guards a week before the offensive to the final battles on “The Island” south of Arnhem.

Moderators: Panther Paul, Arjuna

Deathtreader

Defend insitu vs retake position

Post by Deathtreader »

Hi,

If a unit or formation is ordered to defend insitu but the retake position box is checked which will take precedence??

Some quick tests suggest they will not attempt to retake their positions when defending insitu. If this is so then shouldn't the retake position box become greyed out as soon as a player selects insitu?

A small thing I know but a misleading one.....esp for a new player who may expect his units to counterattack.

Rob.
So we're at war with the Russkies eh?? I suppose we really ought to invade or something. (Lonnnng pause while studying the map)
Hmmmm... big place ain't it??
- Sir Harry Flashman (1854)
BletchleyGeek

RE: Defend insitu vs retake position

Post by BletchleyGeek »

ORIGINAL: Deathtreader
If a unit or formation is ordered to defend insitu but the retake position box is checked which will take precedence??

Some quick tests suggest they will not attempt to retake their positions when defending insitu. If this is so then shouldn't the retake position box become greyed out as soon as a player selects insitu?

A small thing I know but a misleading one.....esp for a new player who may expect his units to counterattack.

Hi,

not sure that "in situ" has any effect over the Retake Position setting. More of an effect will have that the defending unit lacks the strength to mount a counterattack (say the defender is a battalion, gets attacked by a bigger unit and gets two of its companies mauled: it's not going to counterattack any time soon). The depth setting to the mission can also help with this, since if it had enough strength, the AI has deploys something substantial to defend in depth, so these reserves can be marshalled to execute counterattack without weakening the line elsewhere.

I use Defend + Retake Position usually for big formations (Regt or Division), which are likely to have a resources to launch a counterattack on their own initative. I find this very useful when I want the AI to take care of herself while I'm focusing my attention elsewhere on the map.

Return to “Command Ops Series”