I'm new to DW but not the 4x genre (been playing since Stars!) and I managed to play a solid amount of DW legends over the holiday break and thought I would leave my "fresh eyes" feedback in hopes it can make things better:
- Exploration ships don't partition work in a sensible way, often it seems like 8+ ships will be heading to the same system, maybe split it up a bit?
- The graphics performance on the game is pretty poor, my computer can play modern shooters at 2560x1440 with candy on no problem, but this game at 1920x1080 has zoom in/out issues, screen pan issues and window open issues (issues=redraw lag). Everything just feels laggy and it only gets worse as the universe gets busy. Looks like you're using a 2d renderer which might not be cutting it.
- Speaking of resolution issues, I can't run at my native res because the fonts then become impossibly small.
- Star bases don't launch fighters when an enemy ship is in range, usually the fighters get launched only after the base has been hit a few times. This is a real problem on mining bases with fighters as it means they'll lose fights they should win.
- When a ship/base is selected, and it's your own, it would be great if there was a attack radius shown.
- The ship design components list moves when you add a component (if it's not top justified). This is a right PITA if you were about to select the component above the selected component.
- The ship design screen feels awkward, cramped and not well laid out. Given the number of ships that have to be designed, retrofitted, then manually edited, I must spend a significant portion of my time playing DW on this screen.
- Maybe the retrofit should add countermeasures/targeting to combat classed ships on upgrade?
- The max size limit of the ship your building should be displayed before you hit it.
Sorry if this seems harsh, I've only listed the stuff I think should be better. DW is a good game and the first 4X I've played in a long, long time that I feel is deep enough to be great 4X. For what it's worth I'm quite happy with the art assets, the level of complexity, and the general "fun" of playing the game.