Better Graphics

John Tiller's Campaign Series exemplifies tactical war-gaming at its finest by bringing you the entire collection of TalonSoft's award-winning campaign series. Containing TalonSoft's West Front, East Front, and Rising Sun platoon-level combat series, as well as all of the official add-ons and expansion packs, the Matrix Edition allows players to dictate the events of World War II from the tumultuous beginning to its climatic conclusion. We are working together with original programmer John Tiller to bring you this updated edition.

Moderators: Jason Petho, Peter Fisla, asiaticus, dogovich

Jason Petho

Better Graphics

Post by Jason Petho »

I have seen mention of enhancing the graphics for the Campaign Series.

This leads to some question:

1. What kind of graphics are you wanting, exactly -- provide images, if possible.

2. Is it the map graphics? The unit graphics? Or both?

3. How does using a higher bit system help?

Thank you for the answers.

Jason Petho
MrRoadrunner

RE: Better Graphics

Post by MrRoadrunner »

Hi Jason,

I think in answer to the first question, I'd like to see the buildings made similar to the Maddox mod where he had the EF buildings to the scale of the WF buildings.
And, I think that additional individual building types might help. Maybe Mosques as well as different church types. Industrial buildings could be supplemented by new shapes. Graveyards. Railroad stations for the new rail systems? Port docks? Roman style bridges.
Different trees along the lines of the Maddox mods. Same with the mud terrain. Oasis for desert scenarios. Along with different looking desert forts.
Road blocks for cities that look like buses and cars piled together?

Unit graphics are fine as long as the outlines fit the graphic.

I'm cool with the bit system in place now. The resolution is more a matter of monitor size and choice of detail?
I'm not a computer geek so it is not a serious concern for me.

RR
“The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.”
― Marcus Aurelius, Meditations
junk2drive

Post by junk2drive »

Off the top of my pointed head, higher bit graphics would allow for better looking pictures in the unit detail box, side turn box, and menu screens. It should also allow for finer detail in 3D mode for map tiles and objects as well as units. 2D guys probably won't see much difference.
Conflict of Heroes "Most games are like checkers or chess and some have dice and cards involved too. This game plays like checkers but you think like chess and the dice and cards can change everything in real time."
MrRoadrunner

Post by MrRoadrunner »

Thanks Junk.
I play a lot in 3-D so I guess it would be helpful.
But, is it worth the time & effort for what you would get out of it?

RR
“The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.”
OttoVonBlotto

Post by OttoVonBlotto »

Personally I think the graphics are fine as they are, they are perfectly serviceable in both 2D and 3D modes and a lot better than most comparable games of the time, some units could do with tidying up where the outlines don't quite match and some different background tiles wouldn't go amiss to give the designers some other designs to play with.
"Personal isn't the same as important"
R_TEAM

Post by R_TEAM »

Hi,

i think, without an basic change of the engine, the actual GFX is suitable for the game and need only little improvements and bugfixing.

Regards
R-TEAM
Bigeard

Post by Bigeard »

I agree that the graphics are pretty much satisfactory as they are. That said, if they can be enhanced then great, but not at the expense of efforts to develop other aspects of the game.

Regards

Paul Kirkland
Huib

Post by Huib »

I would like to see more variety in buildings; windmills, large farm buildings. Also for East Front I would like to be able to choose Westfront map graphics, mainly for late war battles in Germany, East Prussia and Western Poland.

Huib
TJD

Post by TJD »

Might be interesting to poll to discover how many players use 3-D regularly. I'm stricly a 2-D player myself, so improved graphics are very low on my wish list.

Best,

Tim
MrRoadrunner

Post by MrRoadrunner »

I agree with Huib totally.
Also for some desert in EF?
Get those Russians fighting the Japanese?

RR
Ashcloud

Post by Ashcloud »

Funny, I love the 3D graphics but have sometimes felt the 2D could do with a shiny upgrade - more like TOAW. I play with both, movement and maneuver, plotting arty and such 2D - fighting 3D.
marcbarker

Post by marcbarker »

I would love to see way points for company levels or regiments like in some other war games. Graphics are ok, 2d could be spruced up. 3d ...uh ok but i think there is more pressing issues then graphics that need to be addressed first
games:
1. AGEOD Blue and Gray
2. John Tiller's Battleground Series
3. Combat Mission: Beyond Overlord
4. Combat Mission: Barbarossa to Berlin
5. V for Victory Games
6. Silent Hunter III
7. Silent Hunter IV
8. Rise and Fall of the Third Re
Chris Bisson

Post by Chris Bisson »

I use both equally for movement and arty. I primarily do battle in 3d. So graphics are ok either way.
What's with the negative waves?
Hawk Kriegsman

Post by Hawk Kriegsman »

Hello All,

I agree with Huib and Ed. More variety would be great.

Also the quality of the graphics are just fine with me.

Of course my computer turns 10 in April. [8|]

Thanx!

Hawk
jbunnelle

Post by jbunnelle »

I agree with Ashcloud. I don't use 2D because it is way too bland. The TOAW map upgrade was a great example of doing a lot with very little; made a huge difference to me. I think both 2D and 3D changes to the terrain could be useful. Whatever TOAW did to make the map overlays blend better and be more optically appealing could be experimented with here, I think. The only thing I find visually tiring is impossible to get around, and that is the rendering of terrain in hexagon shapes.

ORIGINAL: Ashcloud

Funny, I love the 3D graphics but have sometimes felt the 2D could do with a shiny upgrade - more like TOAW. I play with both, movement and maneuver, plotting arty and such 2D - fighting 3D.
Huib

Post by Huib »

Can anyone post an example of TOAW 2d representation? I'm curious.

Huib
MrRoadrunner

Post by MrRoadrunner »

Herr Huib,

http://www.matrixgames.com/store/317/No ... of.War.III

There are screenshots at the store. But, I do not remember anything but 2-D in TOAW. [&:]
Though, it's been an extremely long time since I played it ... and I am old. [8|]

RR
jbunnelle

Post by jbunnelle »

TOAW has a 3D mode but I've never used it. It's the old Avalon Hill/SPI diehard in me. [:D] For the JTCS games I play 3D exclusively, with bases on. Seems more appropriate to the scale and the models are way better and force-specific, while TOAW's are generic.

ORIGINAL: MrRoadrunner

Herr Huib,

http://www.matrixgames.com/store/317/No ... of.War.III

There are screenshots at the store. But, I do not remember anything but 2-D in TOAW. [&:]
Though, it's been an extremely long time since I played it ... and I am old. [8|]

RR
Deputy

Post by Deputy »

ORIGINAL: barker

I would love to see way points for company levels or regiments like in some other war games. Graphics are ok, 2d could be spruced up. 3d ...uh ok but i think there is more pressing issues then graphics that need to be addressed first

Agree 100%. Before any graphics changes are made, there are other items of far more importance. Like the units that "burn up" their movement points by going back and forth in the same two hexes. I can't believe this bug that was in the earliest Talonsoft version is still present today.

Also, it seems to me that in 3D mode we used to be able to get a much closer view of the units than what we get now.

I normally use 3D mode, but I do use 2D to find the victory hexes and to locate non-combatant units that are too close to the front lines on initial placement
Squad Battles
John Tiller's Campaign Series
junk2drive

Post by junk2drive »

Back when you had a 15" or 17" CRT set to 640x480 or 800x600 everything was bigger on your screen. You probably have a larger screen set to at least 1024x768 and that makes you think that you used to zoom in closer.
Conflict of Heroes "Most games are like checkers or chess and some have dice and cards involved too. This game plays like checkers but you think like chess and the dice and cards can change everything in real time."

Return to “John Tiller's Campaign Series”