Matrix Games Forums

Command gets huge update!Order of Battle: Pacific Featured on Weekly Streaming SessionA new fight for Battle Academy!Buzz Aldrin's Space Program Manager is out for Mac!The definitive wargame of the Western Front is out now! War in the West gets teaser trailer and Twitch Stream!New Preview AAR for War in the West!War in the West Manual previewThe fight for Armageddon begins! The Matrix Holiday sales are starting today!
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Small General

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Advanced Tactics Series >> Small General Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Small General - 1/3/2012 5:50:52 PM   
ThomasJones

Not sure if this is an appropriate place for this question, but only place I know to ask, so I apologize...

Has anyone played the new "Small General" app Vic made for android tablets? Any thoughts?

Also, I have a Kindle Fire, and this app is only available on Android Market...i.e. I can't get it on my Fire, which only allows downloads form the Amazon app store (I have been told - jsut got this for Christmas) Vic....is this app goong to be avaiable via the Amazon App store anytime soon?
Post #: 1
RE: Small General - 1/3/2012 7:43:19 PM   
Jeffrey H.

Well, there was a call for beta testers in the general section of the forums. I guess that's an indicator of where the series is headed. Honestly though, I feel as though it's a bit of a diversion.

History began July 4th, 1776. Anything before that was a mistake.

Ron Swanson

(in reply to ThomasJones)
Post #: 2
RE: Small General - 1/3/2012 9:22:02 PM   
djscamper

Its a fun quick game for when you are knocking about away from a pc.

You used to be able to side load non amamzon market apps onto the Kindle. Not sure if they plugged that hole with an update.

-Hank

(in reply to Jeffrey H.)
Post #: 3
RE: Small General - 1/6/2012 5:43:19 PM   
Webizen

I have the game on both my Droid Bionic smartphone and Kindle Fire tablet (see photo attached). I've got my $3.91 fun out of it. By it way it runs well on the Kindle Fire. I used the Astro app to create a backup on my Bioinc. Then used Astro to send that backup to my Dropbox account. I then logged into my Dropbox account from my Kindle Fire and installed it. I also believe Vic is looking into getting the game on the Amazon App Market as well. Its a huge potential market as there are well over one million Kindle Fires out there.

quote:

ORIGINAL: ThomasJones

Not sure if this is an appropriate place for this question, but only place I know to ask, so I apologize...

Has anyone played the new "Small General" app Vic made for android tablets? Any thoughts?

Also, I have a Kindle Fire, and this app is only available on Android Market...i.e. I can't get it on my Fire, which only allows downloads form the Amazon app store (I have been told - jsut got this for Christmas) Vic....is this app goong to be avaiable via the Amazon App store anytime soon?

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Webizen -- 1/7/2012 2:28:21 PM >

Tac2i

(in reply to ThomasJones)
Post #: 4
RE: Small General - 1/8/2012 9:36:13 PM   
edsan

For on-the-go fun, it's a nice little game. Question for Vic/amyone, though, is how do you conduct multi side hex simultaneous attacks mentioned in the manual? I couldn't find details anywhere and tried many things.

Sorry about this being on the AT/ATG site (there is always one of those games on-going here).

(in reply to Webizen)
Post #: 5
RE: Small General - 1/9/2012 1:24:19 PM   
Webizen

You can not, per se, conduct an multi-hex attack in Small General. However, if in the same turn you attack an enemy hex from more than one hex, the second (third, etc) attack gets a simultaneous attack bonus.

Update 8/17/12: Noticed that this game (Small General) received an update in April. Now a much better game than the original release. Well done Vic!

quote:

ORIGINAL: edsan

For on-the-go fun, it's a nice little game. Question for Vic/amyone, though, is how do you conduct multi side hex simultaneous attacks mentioned in the manual? I couldn't find details anywhere and tried many things.

Sorry about this being on the AT/ATG site (there is always one of those games on-going here).

< Message edited by Webizen -- 8/17/2012 5:05:44 PM >

Tac2i

(in reply to edsan)
Post #: 6
RE: Small General - 8/16/2012 5:50:21 PM   
Webizen

Just noticed that in the Google Play Store there is a beta version of Small General: Eastern Front (links to full version now). I'm downloading it to my tablet now (game manual) (game artwork).

Update: I've played a couple of turns and it appears to be an excellent game for my Android tablet. Reminds me of the old Avalon Hill board game 'The Russian Campaign.' At the highest graphics settings, on my dual core tablet with Tegra 2, scrolling and unit selection can be a bit jerky. I just lowered the settings a bit and it works fine.

Update: I now also have this game installed on my Droid Bionic smartphone. Amazingly, it looks great and so far after a couple of turns is playing smoothly. Well done Vic!

NOTE: If you don't have an Android tablet or smartphone, then try Bluestacks for Windows. It allows you to install some Android apps on your Windows PC. You will need a Google account of course if you don't already have one. I've tested Small General on Bluestacks and it seems to run ok. You have to go to Settings... Manage Accounts and add it. Then use the search button on the right to search for the app on the Google Play Store.

< Message edited by Webizen -- 9/26/2012 2:00:06 PM >

Tac2i

(in reply to Webizen)
Post #: 7
RE: Small General - 9/25/2012 9:55:42 PM   
Webizen

Small General: Eastern Front has gone final. I'm already in a brutal battle!

January 1942 - At the gates of Moscow

< Message edited by Webizen -- 9/26/2012 4:39:29 PM >

Tac2i

(in reply to Webizen)
Post #: 8
RE: Small General - 1/30/2014 8:52:29 AM   
Agent S

Enjoying the games, but how about an update that let's the game play in landscape view. Please.

"Great men are forged in fire, it is the privilege of lesser men to light the flame. Whatever the cost." -Dr. Who (#1)

(in reply to Webizen)
Post #: 9
RE: Small General - 2/11/2014 4:46:10 PM   
Fintilgin

I grabbed Eastern Front to mess around with over a long weekend. The Soviets surrendered surprisingly easily. Made little progress in 1941, but in 1942 broke out and took Moscow and most of the Ukraine resulting in them surrendering. Never got Leningrad or near Stalingrad. I also grabbed quite a few ungarrisoned cities, which given there are only a handful seems a bit silly.

As the Soviets, the German AI on standard difficulty doesn't seem to be even capable of taking one of my cities. They're barely able to cross the border in any force.

Maybe it's a bit rougher on higher AI levels?

I'd really like to see a Small General with a random map generator like Advanced Tactics. That would give it much more replayability.

< Message edited by Fintilgin -- 2/11/2014 5:47:07 PM >

(in reply to Agent S)
Post #: 10
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Advanced Tactics Series >> Small General Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI