2012: Rise of Nations [CLOSED]

Post here to meet players for MP games and generally engage in ribbing and banter about your prowess.

Moderator: Vic

SailingGuy

2012: Rise of Nations [CLOSED]

Post by SailingGuy »

"2012: Rise of Nations".

This game is an ambitious project seeking 14 players (the max allowed by ATG).

Rise of Nations rules:
A) Alliances and team wins are allowed.
B) Once an alliance is made it may not be broken.
C) The maximum number of alliance members is four.
D) If the full complement of 14 players is not acheived, the maximum number of alliance members will be three.

Code of Conduct:
1) Don't disappear unexpectedly. If you lose interest in the game, surrender your forces. Don't ruin the game for the rest of us by quitting without notice. You may give your units/resources/territory to an alliance member before surrendering.
2) Complete your turn within 24 to 48 hours if at all possible. If you are going to be away for an extended period of time, let us know.
4) Email the new file to the next player in line after your turn is done. (We may use DropBox if all players agree.)
5) File naming format: AAA-BBB-CCC-DDD-EEE-FFF-GGG-HHH-III-JJJ-KKK-LLL-MMM-NNN-### (Where AAA is the name of player one, BBB is player two, CCC is player three, etc., with ### increasing by one number at the end of each player's turn...001, 002, 003, etc.)
6) Make a "courtesy" post on this forum that you have passed the turn to the next player in line.

Settings:
Fourteen players (depending on interest).
World size X-Large.
No AI.
Normal world.
Map loop.
Shroud.
1 Town start.
Stone Age.
Costly research.
Use resources.
Start with roads.
Climate: Full Range
Fog of War
PBEM Protection
Passwords (write it down!)

I will generate a random starting player order, so please PM me with your email. The order will be determined via the email dice server at dicemaster@nomic.net. You can see how the dice roller works at http://dice.nomic.net/email.html

Some players may be placed next to a treasure trove of resources. Such random luck will occur. Deal with it. Stats are not hidden, so feel free to pound on the "highest nail".

If we do not get the full complement of 14 players by Wednesday, January 18th, I will proceed with those that have signed up. However, the game will not start with less than 7 players.

This is an admittedly ambitious project. Let's set the record for the most number of players participating in an ATG game.

PM me or post here if you want to join.

Signed up so far:
1) SailingGuy
2) Nego
3) 82ndtrooper
4) Casus_Belli
5) TPM
6) LazyBoy
7) Tophat1812
8) Webizen
9) jagular
10) all5n
11) Jay Doubleyou
12) hadley
13) derstralle
14) Harley
Phil
aka SailingGuy

To his dog, every man is Napoleon; hence the constant popularity of dogs.
~Aldous Huxley
Spartan07

RE: 2012: Rise of Nations [RECRUITING PLAYERS]

Post by Spartan07 »

Please count me in....:)
Mike - Nego
82ndtrooper

Post by 82ndtrooper »

well this sounds interesting.
I don't usually play random games , i mostly play the scenarios but I think I would enjoy giving this one a try.

so sign me up.
HHC 302nd Engineer Battalion
82nd Airborne Division
Honorably Discharged Jul/80
Casus_Belli

Post by Casus_Belli »

I'll be in it.[8D]
Furthermore, Carthage must be destroyed.
TPM

Post by TPM »

OK, I'm in. Should we be concerned that the game might crash if it's this large? Never played X-large before. Either way, sounds fun, I'm in.
SailingGuy

Post by SailingGuy »

ORIGINAL: TPM

OK, I'm in. Should we be concerned that the game might crash if it's this large? Never played X-large before. Either way, sounds fun, I'm in.

I've put together several X-Large maps and have not had a problem. Not sure how XL will work with 14, but I'm assuming it will be ok.

Welcome aboard.
Phil
aka SailingGuy

~Aldous Huxley
LazyBoy

Post by LazyBoy »

Hi

I have not played ATG with a human opponent, but have played AT, I'll play if you want.
SailingGuy

Post by SailingGuy »

ORIGINAL: LazyBoy
Hi
I have not played ATG with a human opponent, but have played AT, I'll play if you want.

You're in. Be sure to ask us if you have any questions.
Phil
aka SailingGuy

~Aldous Huxley
TPM

Post by TPM »

Sounds good. Looking forward to it!
ORIGINAL: SailingGuy
ORIGINAL: TPM

I've put together several X-Large maps and have not had a problem. Not sure how XL will work with 14, but I'm assuming it will be ok.

Welcome aboard.
Tophat1815

Post by Tophat1815 »

I'm also interested in this scenario,but I have no experience other than vs the ai as of yet. So if you don't mind another ATG novice I'll play.[;)]
SailingGuy

Post by SailingGuy »

ORIGINAL: Tophat1812
I'm also interested in this scenario,but I have no experience other than vs the ai as of yet. So if you don't mind another ATG novice I'll play.[;)]

I think you'll find this game more challenging than playing vs AI. Welcome.
Phil
aka SailingGuy

~Aldous Huxley
Tac2i

Post by Tac2i »

Ambitious project indeed! Assuming you get all 14 player slots filled, at best you'll not complete more than 2-3 turns a month/24-36 turns in a year. Considering the map size and the potential numbers of players I also wonder if the 'no roads/costly research/one town start' options will not unduly make for a very long time to any significant action. Request at least a reconsideration about using 'one town start.' It probably would be helpful to the novices not to have to search for cities.

All that said above, I'll join in even if nothing is changed. I do highly recommend that anyone not using Dropbox for exchanging turns get a free Dropbox account (www.dropbox.com). It beats using email by a long shot. It also alleviates the need to notify players about whose turn it is. You simply check your Dropbox folder.

Tac2i (formerly webizen)
SailingGuy

Post by SailingGuy »

ORIGINAL: Webizen
Request at least a reconsideration about using 'one town start.' It probably would be helpful to the novices not to have to search for cities.

Good point. Modified.
Phil
aka SailingGuy

~Aldous Huxley
SailingGuy

Post by SailingGuy »

What does everyone think about striking "No roads" and "Costly research"? I agree with Webizen, and have already struck "One city start".
Phil
aka SailingGuy

~Aldous Huxley
jagular

Post by jagular »

Count me in.
With alliances allowed and most likely to happen research can be shared, so costly research is fine with me.

Do we use of Dropbox so everybody can keep track of who's turn it is

What happens if someone drops out/dissapears. Maybe it would be good to share passwords with alliance-members so that if someone dissapears, they can take his turn, surrender and the rest can continue on.
SailingGuy

Post by SailingGuy »

I like jagular's point about shared research. Will encourage an early alliance, but players will still have to be careful about who they ally with.

So I'm inclined to strike "1 town start" and "no roads".

Alliance members can share passwords as they see fit, but it would be a good safety feature and even allow an ally to take your turn for you if you are on vacation, business trip, ill, etc.

I like DropBox, but am not sure that everyone uses it. Perhaps Webizen can help the new guys with a walk through of DropBox.
Phil
aka SailingGuy

~Aldous Huxley
Tac2i

Post by Tac2i »

The thing to remember about "no roads" is that to build a single hex of rail line costs 20 raw (more if you have to bridge a river I believe). The "no roads" option will limit early armor production, at least if you wish to build out your rail net to expand your supply reach. I'm ok either way.

Agreed--with allies to trade tech with "costly research" isn't too bad, especially with potential alliances of 3/4 players. It will promote early alliances. Do you want a house rule about "no alliances" before N number of turns? No declarations of war before N number of turns?

I'm thinking alliances are most likely to form with adjacent regimes though the possibility will exist to isolate one or more players via alliances I suppose. However, with a normal world there will be a lot of water. Hmmmm, game is sounding more interesting the more I think about it. Everyone, just be prepared for a LONG game and don't be in a rush. Get into other games in addition to this one if you need more action more quickly.
ORIGINAL: SailingGuy

What does everyone think about striking "No roads" and "Costly research"? I agree with Webizen, and have already struck "One city start".
Tac2i (formerly webizen)
Tophat1815

Post by Tophat1815 »

I'd be inclined to keep the "no roads' as it will limit the tech growth of empires as basic infrastructure is created. I"m already anxious to start up.......

Webizen how about a dummies guide to dropbox example please?
Tac2i

Post by Tac2i »

One other thing to remember: there are only seven playable people groups in ATG. Any number of players over seven means that there will be duplicate people groups. In game terms what that means is that if you capture an enemy city of the same people group as your own, that city will be fully functional for production purposes (i.e. it can produce combat units). A captured enemy city not of your people group can only produce PPs and limited amounts of raw/oil). If this game gets all 14 players there will be seven sets of duplicate people groups. All players should keep this in mind. Any player who can conquer enemy cities of his own people group can potentially become very powerful.
Tac2i (formerly webizen)
Tophat1815

Post by Tophat1815 »

ORIGINAL: Webizen

One other thing to remember: there are only six people groups in ATG. Any number of players over six means that there will be duplicate people groups. In game terms what that means is that if you capture an enemy city of the same people group as your own, that city will be fully functional for production purposes (i.e. it can produce combat units). A captured enemy city not of your people group can only produce PPs and limited amounts of raw/oil). If this game gets all 14 players there will be two sets of three duplicate people groups. All players should keep this in mind. Any player who can conquer enemy cities of his own people group can potentially become very powerful.

That is a very important tip that frankly hadn't even occurred to me until you mentioned it. Thank you.

Return to “Opponents Wanted”