Matrix Games Forums

To End All Wars: Mountain InfantryPandora: Eclipse of Nashira Announced! Deal of the Week: Command Ops goes half price!New Fronts are opening up for Commander: The Great WarCharacters of World War 1Sign of for the Pike and Shot Beta!More Games are Coming to Steam! Return to the Moon on October 31st! Commander: The Great War iPad Wallpapers Generals of the Great War
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Garrisions

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Time of Fury >> Garrisions Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Garrisions - 1/1/2012 3:04:27 AM   
Numdydar

There ought to be some form of garrision level per conquared country. As it stands now, I can completely leave Poland (as an example) empty and suffer no consquences (at least none that I can tell anyway). I think I have had only one partisian pop up the entire game and that was in France.

Somehow the player needs to account that the further one goes into enemy territory (i.e. Russia) more and more troops are going to be needed to 'pacify' the the area. In my invasion of Russia, every unit I had was at the front, nothing was left behind. I did get popups about uprisings in Russia, but just selected 'Major anti-partisan' effort and took the hit. Even losing the PP did not matter as far as I was concerned.

Even though I could not see any reason to do this, I started putting units into VP cities in Russia just because it felt really odd to have all that space empty of troops. In RL, if the Germans had not left troops behind, they would have been overrun with patrisians everywhere

So you may want to consider requiring X number of divisions per country/area or the player will lose Y number of PP/turn. This way the player can make the decision if losing PP or have more tropps at the front is more important.
Post #: 1
RE: Garrisions - 1/1/2012 3:15:58 AM   
aspqrz

I didn't realise this was the case. I garrisoned Poland automatically, as much because I was afraid of triggering some Suvorov Icebreaker-like opportunistic Soviet invasion as because I was worried about the possibility of partisans.

Must ... read ... the ... friendly ... manual ...

Phil

Author, Space Opera (FGU); RBB #1 (FASA); Road to Armageddon; Farm, Forge and Steam; Orbis Mundi; Displaced (PGD)
----------------------------------------------
Email: aspqrz@tpg.com.au

(in reply to Numdydar)
Post #: 2
RE: Garrisions - 1/1/2012 4:02:18 AM   
freeboy

the manual is very lite.. forums best place to learn what works..
and of course the computer game itself

(in reply to aspqrz)
Post #: 3
RE: Garrisions - 1/1/2012 4:09:09 AM   
aspqrz

Which is what I normally do.

Unless it's something like WitP: AE or Gary Grigsby's "War in the East" of course

Phil

Author, Space Opera (FGU); RBB #1 (FASA); Road to Armageddon; Farm, Forge and Steam; Orbis Mundi; Displaced (PGD)
----------------------------------------------
Email: aspqrz@tpg.com.au

(in reply to freeboy)
Post #: 4
RE: Garrisions - 1/1/2012 5:56:53 AM   
Numdydar

Or MWiF (whenever it comes out.

< Message edited by Numdydar -- 1/1/2012 5:57:58 AM >

(in reply to aspqrz)
Post #: 5
RE: Garrisions - 1/1/2012 6:15:06 AM   
Greyshaft

I give myself a house rule that *every* city must be garrisoned - no exceptions. It feels more historical and it gives me a reason to produce INF divisions.

/Greyshaft

(in reply to Numdydar)
Post #: 6
RE: Garrisions - 1/1/2012 6:32:34 AM   
rogo727

I have yet to play a game where the soviets didn't declare war on me may or June 1940. I garrison every polish city.

(in reply to Greyshaft)
Post #: 7
RE: Garrisions - 1/1/2012 6:53:14 AM   
aspqrz

IF it ever does

Phil

(in reply to Numdydar)
Post #: 8
RE: Garrisions - 1/1/2012 10:26:06 AM   
doomtrader

No problem to increase the partisans activity.

(in reply to aspqrz)
Post #: 9
RE: Garrisions - 1/1/2012 5:44:36 PM   
freeboy

NNNOOOOO!!!
LOL
Please do not increase partisan activity!!!

(in reply to doomtrader)
Post #: 10
RE: Garrisions - 1/1/2012 6:39:50 PM   
Rasputitsa

You could say that, as with other things in this game, most garrisons are abstracted. The unit counters on the map represent those field divisions and korps that are part of the mobilised fighting forces, but there will also be security, supply, training and admin troops behind the front. If you choose not to put fighting units in cities, then there is a risk that they could be captured if near the front.

I find myself, as Axis, putting units in all ports and cities near coastal areas and in all cities near the front line, otherwise I don't try to have units in cities, except that I have units deploying into cities, or using cities during the frozen turns after upgrade to korps level.

"We have to go from where we are, not from where we would like to be" - me

(in reply to Numdydar)
Post #: 11
RE: Garrisions - 1/1/2012 7:34:06 PM   
gwgardner

Especially in late war years, I've seen as many as 5 or 6 partisans appearing during one turn, in Yugoslavia, Poland, USSR. Sometimes in France. I've seen partisans take cities like Lvov, Cracow, even Warsaw one time when I got careless. They also cut rail lines.

(in reply to Rasputitsa)
Post #: 12
RE: Garrisions - 1/1/2012 8:21:45 PM   
Greyshaft

The AI is also quite thoughtful with its use of paratroops. Leaving cities ungarrisoned is an invitation to have your essential rail junctions occupied and/or minor allies removed from the game at a most inconvenient moment.

/Greyshaft

(in reply to gwgardner)
Post #: 13
RE: Garrisions - 1/1/2012 9:27:38 PM   
Numdydar

Well considering that in the entire time I have played the game, including leaving Russia wide open over the entire two year invasion (i.e. no one stayed behind. 'March to the front. No slackers in this army '), I did not have a single Russian partisan show up . The para units on the other hand WERE a pain. Forunately they were easy to kill once I got to where they were. Must have had 5-6 drops by the Russians.

So either a) the game needs to have the partisian code checked to see if it is really working as designed or b) it is working correctly and partisians have very little impact on the game.

(in reply to Greyshaft)
Post #: 14
RE: Garrisions - 1/1/2012 10:18:39 PM   
Razz

They are working.

Do you take Yugoslavia or ally with it?

(in reply to Numdydar)
Post #: 15
RE: Garrisions - 1/2/2012 3:01:03 AM   
gwgardner

Partisan activity is also affected by German policies in Poland and the USSR, whether mild, moderate, or severe, and by various events that present choices as to how much the German player wants to invest in the anti-partisan effort.

(in reply to Razz)
Post #: 16
RE: Garrisions - 1/2/2012 4:01:49 AM   
bairdlander

quote:

ORIGINAL: Razz

They are working.

Are you sure???

(in reply to Razz)
Post #: 17
RE: Garrisions - 1/2/2012 5:24:17 AM   
Razz

Yes

(in reply to bairdlander)
Post #: 18
RE: Garrisions - 1/2/2012 6:52:19 AM   
Numdydar

quote:

ORIGINAL: Razz

They are working.

Do you take Yugoslavia or ally with it?

Neither. Just left Yugo alone. Saw no reason to bother with them once England was gone.

(in reply to Razz)
Post #: 19
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Time of Fury >> Garrisions Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI