Matrix Games Forums

Characters of World War 1Sign of for the Pike and Shot Beta!More Games are Coming to Steam! Deal of the Week: Combat Command Return to the Moon on October 31st! Commander: The Great War iPad Wallpapers Generals of the Great WarDeal of the Week Panzer CorpsNew Strategy Titles Join the FamilyTablet Version of Qvadriga gets new patch
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

another hofen aar...

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command Ops Series >> After Action Reports >> another hofen aar... Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
another hofen aar... - 12/31/2011 3:47:36 PM   
phoenix

I thought I would have a shot at an AAR. Never done it before, so please be lenient! I thought Hofen for a first shot, as it's manageable and interesting and I've played it a lot. Doesn't mean I have an ounce of tactical finesse. I wondered whether posting would force me to pay more attention than I usually do....

I'm playing on 'standard' settings, ie; realistic orders delay, no buttons changed, as Axis.

This is my plan, such as it is;

Day 1:

The 751 into Hfn sth by 7 o'clock. Move orders (one to battalion, a second to the regiment), attack checked, no rest, quickest, shortest.

The 753 attack Monschau from the sth (same orders as above). I don't expect them to take it before sunrise, or even by end of Day 1, but I hope they effectively suck in the enemy and also block reinforcements to the Hfn ridge.

The 326 to probe Monschau from the Nth (to reinforce its attraction to the enemy). The 752 Regiment HQ similarly to approach Monschau.
My aim is actually to suck men and materiel into Monschau and take it only after the reinforcements (the II-753) arrive midday, day 2, using them to take it. This way I hope to have a bigger fight at Hfn and to eliminate more of the enemy than I have with other plans.

Meanwhile, the 752 battallion will go on avoidance/bypass to the woods to the back of Muntzenich. Once there I'll rest them for a night attack during night 1 on Muntzenich.

When the II-751 arrive during the night of Day 1 I'll send them to start the attack on Hfn nth. Ditto the smattering of armour, when it arrives.

Day 2:

By midday day 2 I would hope to have denied the enemy possession of all major objectives (kalterherburg excepted), and possibly have complete possession of hfn sth. When the II-753 arrives it will go to Monschau. During the afternoon I would hope to gain possession of Hfn nth also. Once Monschau falls I'll send units from there to Kalterherburg.

Day 3:

I should be in complete possession of two objectives by daybreak, and be occupying all the other three. I'll spend day 3 trying to clear the remaining objectives.

Here's how the first moves look;

Attachment (1)
Post #: 1
RE: another hofen aar... - 12/31/2011 3:55:41 PM   
phoenix

Ok. By 7am it's looking like this. Not a shot fired, I believe. The 751 walked into Hfn sth unncontested. The fusiliers are just starting down the hill to Monschau, one of Hitler's favourite towns. From the sth the lead element of 753 is also coming over the top of the escarpment. It's daylight now and I expect everyone out in the open to be spotted and the arty to start. I don't have many arty options at the moment (the supply isn't complete until about 11am). I could use what I do have to bombard the known positions of the two enemy arty units (I know them from playing this scenario before), but that would be cheating, so I won't- :)

Attachment (1)

(in reply to phoenix)
Post #: 2
RE: another hofen aar... - 12/31/2011 4:26:01 PM   
phoenix

4 minutes later and I think this is first contact. Both southern and northern approach roads into Monschau are covered by assault gun platoons. My guess is the assault will now grind to a halt.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to phoenix)
Post #: 3
RE: another hofen aar... - 12/31/2011 4:26:43 PM   
phoenix

This is how it looks on google earth

Attachment (1)

(in reply to phoenix)
Post #: 4
RE: another hofen aar... - 12/31/2011 4:30:22 PM   
phoenix

I'll post more tomorrow. Maybe do an update every 4 hours of battle. Anyone interested?

(in reply to phoenix)
Post #: 5
RE: another hofen aar... - 12/31/2011 4:43:13 PM   
Bletchley_Geek

Yes, I'm interested. I'm really surprised you didn't find anyone in Hofen South...

Nullius in Verba since February 2013 - http://panthergames.com
-----
Life in the Internets: http://steamcommunity.com/id/mvorkosigan
----
I'm a real person as well: http://au.linkedin.com/in/miguelramirezjavega

(in reply to phoenix)
Post #: 6
RE: another hofen aar... - 12/31/2011 5:03:28 PM   
phoenix

I just noticed your own fantastic Hofen AAR, BG. Lovely work. Will read it through again more carefully later. I think if you get into Hfn sth before 7 it's usually unnoccupied, and you can only do this by using 'Move' orders, not Attack (attacks take so long to plan, even if given to battallion, no?). I notice you mainly use attack orders to assault. This is an interesting facet of the game, the choice between these two options. See how I get on without attacks, doing everything on the hoof....

(in reply to Bletchley_Geek)
Post #: 7
RE: another hofen aar... - 12/31/2011 6:32:30 PM   
Bletchley_Geek

quote:

ORIGINAL: phoenix

I just noticed your own fantastic Hofen AAR, BG. Lovely work. Will read it through again more carefully later. I think if you get into Hfn sth before 7 it's usually unnoccupied, and you can only do this by using 'Move' orders, not Attack (attacks take so long to plan, even if given to battallion, no?). I notice you mainly use attack orders to assault. This is an interesting facet of the game, the choice between these two options. See how I get on without attacks, doing everything on the hoof....

Hey,

well, it wasn't so good I think :) There were quite a few things I didn't really grasp, such as that subtle - or not so subtle - difference between organizing an assault or trying to infiltrate with a Move order. My best Höfen result so far involved waiting until D2 dawn, and then pinning the US troops in Höfen with two infantry battalions, while a third one (the one from 751st Regt that arrives late during D1) moved into Höfen defenders rear maneuvering along the south.

Regarding the US initial deployment, there should be a full US infantry Battalion in Höfen, well entrenched and splitted into three groups (more or less). No idea why the AI moved it away, it's an excellent defensive position.

-----
----

(in reply to phoenix)
Post #: 8
RE: another hofen aar... - 12/31/2011 7:17:42 PM   
phoenix

Mmm. I ran it as allies, and it looks like this (below); basically, what happens is that if you give a fastest possible Move order then the 751 moves right up the main road under cover of darkness!!! At least that's how it seems. I've highlighted their approach and used the LOS tool to demonstrate the blind spots. the US positions are not so good, I think - full of gaps.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 9
RE: another hofen aar... - 12/31/2011 7:47:18 PM   
phoenix

So, by 9.18 the assault gun platoons turn out to be a couple of handfulls of stuarts on the Monschau appraoch roads. But, with heavy arty support they're enough to send the 753 running back up the road. The fusiliers stick it longer (they're meant to be my best trained unit, i think), but lose 38 of 192 men to arty and then retreat and rout. the first attack on Monschau has been a debacle, I think. I will now give the 753 an actual attack order and see what happens. I have spotted one of the US arty units (the 62nd, up near the woods behind Muntzenich) but as it's being identified as an Engineer unit I'm resisting the urge to bombard it with my big fixed arty asset (now in full supply) as this, again, would be cheating, i think. But the power of arty to break up advances and attacks really is impressive.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to phoenix)
Post #: 10
RE: another hofen aar... - 12/31/2011 8:30:09 PM   
Bletchley_Geek

quote:

ORIGINAL: phoenix

Mmm. I ran it as allies, and it looks like this (below); basically, what happens is that if you give a fastest possible Move order then the 751 moves right up the main road under cover of darkness!!! At least that's how it seems. I've highlighted their approach and used the LOS tool to demonstrate the blind spots. the US positions are not so good, I think - full of gaps.

Nice one :-) Quick and silent as a thief in the night!

-----
----

(in reply to phoenix)
Post #: 11
RE: another hofen aar... - 12/31/2011 9:40:06 PM   
phoenix

Well, it's New Years Eve in RL, but with the whole family ill with stupid colds or stomach bugs, and al plans cancelled, and everyone else already in bed, I'm reduced to playing this game......

Night time day 1. The attack ordered on Monschau went in. There was heavy fighting with and heavy bombardment of my forces in both Monschau and Hofen sth right through till darkness. casualties high from the shelling. But we're now denying both Monschau and Hofen sth to the Allies, and hanging in there. I've just given normal rest defend orders to the 751 and the 753, reattching all units to their respective divisions, and also adding the battered fusiliers and the 752 regiment and its guns to the 753 in Monschau. Just after midday I spotted (legitimately) both allied arty units and ordered (directly) CB.

I've just given the 752 an Attack order on Muntzenich.

I own no objective as yet. But I think I'm on schedule....

Attachment (1)

Post #: 12
RE: another hofen aar... - 12/31/2011 9:55:16 PM   
phoenix

coming up to midnight, Day 1.

the II-751 has arrived and is en route to Hfn sth, it's jumping off point for an Attack on Hofen Nth.

Meanwhile, the 752 ia Attacking Muntzenich. as below

Attachment (1)

(in reply to phoenix)
Post #: 13
RE: another hofen aar... - 12/31/2011 9:56:23 PM   
phoenix

Looks like this, roughly, on Google Earth, only in darkness;

Attachment (1)

(in reply to phoenix)
Post #: 14
RE: another hofen aar... - 12/31/2011 10:07:30 PM   
phoenix

Daybreak, more or less, Day 2. I'm denying the allies all 4 major objectives. So i should be happy. But fighting is fierce everywhere, with several units routing very easily. I've just given defend orders to all 4 groupings, and will now let them sit tight (hopefully), and rest, if poss, until night time. the 'armour' has arrived and been directed to Hfn nth

Attachment (1)

(in reply to phoenix)
Post #: 15
RE: another hofen aar... - 12/31/2011 10:16:43 PM   
phoenix

So, the plan is slipping now.

The 'armour' lost 2 stugs in transit to Hfn nth and routed. that seems to always happen.

Worse than that, the fighting at Muntzenich has forced a company to surrender. And I still have no clear possession, though I am still denying the enemy possession.

despite this atrocious state of affairs, I go ahead and order units from Monschau (the 753, in fact) to kelterherberg. I'm hoping to draw some of his units from muntzenich.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to phoenix)
Post #: 16
RE: another hofen aar... - 12/31/2011 10:24:29 PM   
phoenix

Daybreak, day 3. It's looking grim. I have men in all 5 objectives, but only hold Monschau at present. Looking like a marginal defeat or a draw.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to phoenix)
Post #: 17
RE: another hofen aar... - 12/31/2011 10:31:58 PM   
phoenix

As predicted, a draw. Spent Day 3 directing arty and small attacks to try to dislodge defenders, with no joy. Held Monschau and Kalterherberg for most of day 3, but the AAR says it all. basically dismal progress killing the enemy, I think. So too many of them left, at day 3.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to phoenix)
Post #: 18
RE: another hofen aar... - 12/31/2011 10:36:13 PM   
phoenix

It would be easy to conclude, would it not, that my plan was bad?

However - and here's the confession - i did 'practice' this plan yesterday. I made exactly the same orders, but ran through at full speed to see if it roughly worked. because it was going fast I did much less micro-management (and it was less enjoyable). But the basics - where I sent battallions etc - were almoist identical. This was the result

Attachment (1)

(in reply to phoenix)
Post #: 19
RE: another hofen aar... - 12/31/2011 10:37:52 PM   
phoenix

What was different, i wonder?

all i would conclude, maybe, is that the AI really is very impressive. it's like it learned....

it didn't, of course, but it did react differently on the two different occassions.

(in reply to phoenix)
Post #: 20
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command Ops Series >> After Action Reports >> another hofen aar... Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI