Matrix Games Forums

A closer look at rockets in Space Program ManagerDeal of the Week - Pride of NationsA new update for Piercing Fortress EuropaNew screenshots for War in the West!Pike & Shot is now available!Server Maintenance Battle Academy 2 gets updated!Deal of the Week: Advanced Tactics Gold Ask Buzz Aldrin!Pike & Shot gets Release Date and Twitch Session!
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Axis AAR - Piper's Race

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command Ops Series >> After Action Reports >> Axis AAR - Piper's Race Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Axis AAR - Piper's Race - 12/31/2011 1:36:16 AM   
flibby

after becoming fairly proficient with the game system and the small scenarios, I decided to take on the longer scenario depicting KG Piper and it's anticipated dash to the River Meuse in late 1944.

Attachment (1)
Post #: 1
RE: Axis AAR - Piper's Race - 12/31/2011 1:42:16 AM   
flibby

You can see in this screenshot depicting the starting positions both the two options for the Axis in terms of extrication, either the southerly 'main' route, or the northerly longer route.

I decided to aim for the first route barring any significant bridge being blown.

The expected directions of enemy reinforcements are marked, although it is unclear at this stage what their disposition will be. Intelligence is shaky although the US 1st Infantry Division are thought to be heading my way.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to flibby)
Post #: 2
RE: Axis AAR - Piper's Race - 12/31/2011 1:46:35 AM   
flibby

By 8:30 Stavelot had been seized. There was no room for any manoeuvre here, merely plenty of direct fire support from the slope of the hill on the opposite bank to support our boys. They have done a magnificent job to capture the town this early, and now push on with no rest to the next objective, the bridges as Trois Point!

Attachment (1)

(in reply to flibby)
Post #: 3
RE: Axis AAR - Piper's Race - 12/31/2011 1:51:43 AM   
flibby

By early afternoon the Panzer Grenadiers under my command have experienced very little opposition and are almost at the point of securing the first bridges on their path.

I have left, for the mean time, a weak force in Stavelot and significant direct fire support, with the intention of firming up the town if necessary with some of my reinforcements.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to flibby)
Post #: 4
RE: Axis AAR - Piper's Race - 12/31/2011 1:54:51 AM   
flibby

By nightfall on day 1 we were past the bridges almost intact.

An enemy counter attack at Stavelot was pummelled away by vicious artillery fire, and when they returned the Flak and IG support from the opposing bank withered the hopeless American attack to dust.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to flibby)
Post #: 5
RE: Axis AAR - Piper's Race - 12/31/2011 1:59:32 AM   
flibby

By the afternoon of the second day of the attack, we had marched on-ward through thickening opposition to Chevron, and the extrication prize lay tantalizingly close. The Americans had been drawn into a battle with Pzkfw IV and V tanks, however before night fall they would be encircled and steadily destroyed by artillery fire throughout the night.

Please let me know if you guys are interesting in the rest of this battle to see whether we can re-do history!

Nicko

Attachment (1)

(in reply to flibby)
Post #: 6
RE: Axis AAR - Piper's Race - 12/31/2011 2:32:57 AM   
RockinHarry

Let it come!

What´s your main command style? Btl. sized advances with micro managing support units? I guess you use "move" and "attacks" ticked a lot?

RockinHarry in the web:

http://www.myspace.com/rockinharryz
http://www.youtube.com/user/rockinharryz
https://www.facebook.com/harry.zann

(in reply to flibby)
Post #: 7
RE: Axis AAR - Piper's Race - 12/31/2011 8:58:21 AM   
phoenix

Very interested. That's great progress so far. But there are many US reinforcements to come, if I recall. Let's see the rest, yes please.

I'm interested in your command style too. When you speak of direct fire support - are you talking about you actually directing the bombard units in question AND actually directing direct fire (using the Fire button)? Or do you just place the flat trajectory units in a good overwatch position and let them decide when to fire?

(in reply to RockinHarry)
Post #: 8
RE: Axis AAR - Piper's Race - 12/31/2011 12:50:06 PM   
oldspec4

I would also like to see more.

My initial game plan to reach the exit points was very similar. But I ran into beucoup US reinforcements outside of the Trois Ponts crossings, Stoumont, and Stavelot on the second day.

< Message edited by oldspec4 -- 12/31/2011 12:53:32 PM >

(in reply to phoenix)
Post #: 9
RE: Axis AAR - Piper's Race - 12/31/2011 10:52:49 PM   
Deathtreader

By all means..........please play/post on!!!!

I always enjoy a good AAR.

Rob.

So we're at war with the Russkies eh?? I suppose we really ought to invade or something. (Lonnnng pause while studying the map)
Hmmmm... big place ain't it??
- Sir Harry Flashman (1854)

(in reply to flibby)
Post #: 10
RE: Axis AAR - Piper's Race - 1/2/2012 1:38:18 AM   
flibby

I'll get this written up in the following day guys. Thank you for your comments :)

Rockinharry - Bttn level attacks only, but no move orders as attacks. I find that when i do this my units get shot up too much when in road column formation. I always use attack tasks for attacks, and try to avoid units in road encountering anything.

Phoenix - No i don't use the fire command. I simply set up my IGs and Flak units with good LoS and aggro high, max ammo RoF high :)

(in reply to Deathtreader)
Post #: 11
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command Ops Series >> After Action Reports >> Axis AAR - Piper's Race Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI