Matrix Games Forums

Buzz Aldrins Space Program Manager is now available!Space Program Manager gets mini-site and Twitch SessionBuzz Aldrin: Ask Me Anything (AMA) on redditDeal of the week Fantasy Kommander: Eukarion WarsSpace Program Manager Launch Contest Announced!Battle Academy 2 is out now on iPad!A closer look at rockets in Space Program ManagerDeal of the Week - Pride of NationsA new update for Piercing Fortress EuropaNew screenshots for War in the West!
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Random weather

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> Random weather Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Random weather - 12/29/2011 5:35:58 PM   
Callistrid

Hi,

The random weather hardly damage the german on the first 1-10 turn. I belive could be a good idea, if the random weather system could be reworked and during the 41 summer turns the weather will be just clear.

Now Im playing with random weather againt glvaca, and the T07 mud turn gives me a huge adventage. The soviet rail system neutralize the movement penalty, and I feel like I doubled the industrial evacuation turn.

So I like the random weather, because on the 42 year could be more interesting, but on 41, expecially on 41 summer the random weather is disadvantageous for the german.

Post #: 1
RE: Random weather - 12/29/2011 6:42:08 PM   
Q-Ball

There is no doubt that Random Weather is a disadvantage for the German in the Summer of 1941. But thereafter, it probably helps the Germans more than it hurts.

It also depends alot on when that weather happens in Summer

(in reply to Callistrid)
Post #: 2
RE: Random weather - 12/30/2011 12:53:55 AM   
glvaca

We actually had mud in turn 6 and turn 7, different weather zones though.
It certainly was very inconvenient
But we'll see what can be salvaged. And thanks for Callstrid for being very sportive about it.

I do, support the idea of having random weather BUT with the option to have historical during the first summer. 1941 is just too important for the overall game...

(in reply to Q-Ball)
Post #: 3
RE: Random weather - 12/30/2011 2:49:07 AM   
Scook_99

Well, in version 1.05.42, I feel ok with random mud in the 1st seventeen turns. It does hurt, yes, but it should. My friend and I have played about 15 games so far. Every game I have been Axis (14), rain on turn 3. In 11 games, I have had rain on Turn 3, followed by rain in an adjacent weather zone the following turn, so a rolling weather front. I am still taking Leningrad, Moscow should be pretty safe, as it saved rain in Northern Russia until PZ Groups 2 and 3 begin an offensive there. Calculate the odds of that kind of weather!

So, I am believing random weather is a good thing, and if you get clear all 17 turns, you can make hay all the way into Leningrad and Moscow (or close to it). Since I only play official patches, the changes to fort digging is the biggest relief, no longer does it feel I am playing World War I.

I do suppose I would support the option for 1941 historical weather (that includes winter too). I was thinking of that way back in version 1.03, as I thought that was the biggest drawback to playing then.

(in reply to glvaca)
Post #: 4
RE: Random weather - 12/30/2011 8:20:23 AM   
janh

quote:

ORIGINAL: glvaca
I do, support the idea of having random weather BUT with the option to have historical during the first summer. 1941 is just too important for the overall game...

That would indeed be a good option to add. The weather is critical; mud just eats up all fuel reserves, and attacks, though still possible, can easily get badly stuck in a quagmire. As 1941 is in principle the only chance an Axis player has to shape the game to be able to still defend in later war years, a couple of bad dice rolls on the weather may be disastrous for the attacker role.

I have been thinking about this as well -- the Germans were really blessed with the weather until mid-October (in-game, with fixed weather mud starts already 10/10, but I read the heavy rains around Moscow started only a week later). Maybe their progress was in fact quite optimal in this sense, better than one could realistically expect, and in an average summer they would have gotten stuck earlier? I don't know the typical summers there at that time of course, but hasn't someone posted some weather data earlier on the forum? Tullius perhaps? Can't find it...

(in reply to glvaca)
Post #: 5
RE: Random weather - 12/30/2011 1:17:54 PM   
Commanderski

The "historical" weather or non-random weather is not really historical. It was not sunny and clear from June through October. The Germans were held up as long a a week (1 turn) in various areas due to muddy roads and swollen rivers. The random weather more closely matches what the weather was like, although could use some tweaking so it doesn't affect such a wide area.

(in reply to janh)
Post #: 6
RE: Random weather - 12/30/2011 8:15:16 PM   
Farfarer

If the random weather occurs in a certain fashion, it can end a game, period. In my latest game, the mud rolled precisely across the weather zones such that ALL of the units in my main thrusts experienced one week of mud - meaning no operations - four times. In other words, this had essentially the same operational effect of 4 consecutive weeks of mud across the entire time map in summer '41. It mattered not if all the weather zones but one one were Clear, as they were irrelevant. Oh, and I think there was just ANOTHER mud turn when I was pressing on Moscow, and trying to encircle Leningrad - in the North Soviet Zone.

Other effects - if you HQ build up, or mule a Panzer HQ, then get hit my mud, you have wasted all. Gotta love that CV1 MP 45 Pz Div that can move four hexes. Or, the Mule HQ you sent back, cannot be built up as it is out of railhead range ( actually I kind of like that one as a balance, so disregard :)

Movement: I mob=ve units along weather zone boundaries, not tactically, so when the mud hits, I can duck up or down a hex and move fully.

Larry may have posted some turns in his Far_LM60_Larry AAR.

I will be happy to play Random weather as long as I can throw in the towel if weather - fracked without being considered a quitter.

(in reply to Commanderski)
Post #: 7
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> Random weather Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI