Matrix Games Forums

More Games are Coming to Steam! Deal of the Week: Combat Command Return to the Moon on October 31st! Commander: The Great War iPad Wallpapers Generals of the Great WarDeal of the Week Panzer CorpsNew Strategy Titles Join the FamilyTablet Version of Qvadriga gets new patchNew Command Ops: Battles from the Bulge UpdateCommand gets a huge update!
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Hangs during start up ...

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Tech Support >> Hangs during start up ... Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Hangs during start up ... - 12/29/2011 9:51:29 AM   
cochisewolf

Hello,

I'm unable to load up WITPAE. I get to the flash screen, can load the manual etc but it hangs after I hit play. The cursor's visible and can move. I have the latest DirectX, tried it with firewall and virus program turned off etc. I'm running Vista. Processors are dual at 2GHZ, memory 3Gz. Anyone else have this problem?

I indulged myself in the various religions and philosophies but cheerfulness kept breaking through.
- Leonard Cohen
Post #: 1
RE: Hangs during start up ... - 12/29/2011 9:53:47 AM   
n01487477

quote:

ORIGINAL: cochisewolf

Hello,

I'm unable to load up WITPAE. I get to the flash screen, can load the manual etc but it hangs after I hit play. The cursor's visible and can move. I have the latest DirectX, tried it with firewall and virus program turned off etc. I'm running Vista. Processors are dual at 2GHZ, memory 3Gz. Anyone else have this problem?

OK - usual solutions.

Rename the video and sound folders to something else ... Novideo and NoSound.

What switches are you using on your shortcut to the executable ?

-Damian-
EconDoc
TrackerAE
Tutes&Java

(in reply to cochisewolf)
Post #: 2
RE: Hangs during start up ... - 12/29/2011 9:56:11 AM   
cochisewolf

Thanks I'll try that. I'm using -w and -dual for windowed and dual processors ...

I indulged myself in the various religions and philosophies but cheerfulness kept breaking through.
- Leonard Cohen

(in reply to n01487477)
Post #: 3
RE: Hangs during start up ... - 12/29/2011 10:02:23 AM   
n01487477

quote:

Thanks I'll try that. I'm using -w and -dual for windowed and dual processors ...

-dual switch no longer exists, you should look at the whatsnew.pdf ...

-Damian-
EconDoc
TrackerAE
Tutes&Java

Post #: 4
RE: Hangs during start up ... - 12/29/2011 10:02:53 AM   
cochisewolf

Damian, you're a genius, that worked! Thanks man. Oh oh, I see you said 'usual solutions',well no matter, thanks for answering switching the VIDEO directory to NOVIDEO did the trick.Strangely I still get an opening video. I can see I got a bit to learn here ... Owe you.

- Leonard Cohen

Post #: 5
RE: Hangs during start up ... - 12/29/2011 10:03:13 AM   
n01487477

Performance Switches
(Please note that the old –dual switch has been removed in favor of the below combination of
more configurable switches)

-SingleCpuStart : Starts the game in single CPU mode. Switches to multi CPU mode if
available later. We’ve found this to be useful on some multi-core systems, especially AMD
processors.
-SingleCpuOrders : Starts the game in single CPU mode and stays in single CPU for the orders
phase, switches to multi CPU mode for running the turn, then switches back to single mode for
the next orders phase. We’ve found this to be useful on some multi-core systems, especially
AMD processors. Use this or –SingleCpuStart, not both.
If either of the above are used with one of the -cpu# switches noted below, it will use the
specified CPU, otherwise both of these switches default to the first CPU. If a -cpu# switch and
one of these -Single switches are used, the turns will always be processed in multi processor
mode.
-cpu# : (cpu1, cpu2, cpu3, cpu4) Switches set the cpu affinity for multi cpu systems. It will do
nothing for single cores and will default to using all cores if a core is designated which is not
there (for example using -cpu3 on a dual core system). We’ve found this to be very useful on
some multi-core systems, especially Intel processors.
If used alone, the -cpu# switches will keep the game running on the CPU specified all the time. If
used with the -SingleCpuStart switch, it will only use that core when starting the game. If used
with the -SingleCpuOrders switch, it will stay in single CPU mode for starting and the orders
phase, but will run in multicore. If one of the SingleCpu switches is used without a -cpu# switch,
it will default to cpu 1 when it is in single core.
-multiaudio : Invokes a fix that changes audio timing for multicore machines.
-dd_sw : Handles DirectDraw via Software. We’ve found this can make a huge difference on
many systems as far as reducing interface lag and making button clicking in-game more
responsive. On a few newer systems this can cause some visual glitches and slow combat

-Damian-
EconDoc
TrackerAE
Tutes&Java

(in reply to n01487477)
Post #: 6
RE: Hangs during start up ... - 12/29/2011 10:04:52 AM   
n01487477

quote:

Damian, you're a genius, that worked! Thanks man. Oh oh, I see you said 'usual solutions',well no matter, thanks for answering switching the VIDEO directory to NOVIDEO did the trick.Strangely I still get an opening video. I can see I got a bit to learn here ... Owe you.

yeah not really a genius - just parroting others

-Damian-
EconDoc
TrackerAE
Tutes&Java

Post #: 7
RE: Hangs during start up ... - 12/29/2011 10:25:53 AM   
cochisewolf

Thanks Damien, appreciate that. The What's New PDF that ships is v1.00.79 – July 20, 2009 and lists the old protocols. I'll hunt around here and find the new one. (and check to see if it's downloaded with an update or something). Thanks again.

< Message edited by cochisewolf -- 12/29/2011 10:27:57 AM >

- Leonard Cohen

Post #: 8
RE: Hangs during start up ... - 12/29/2011 10:27:42 AM   
n01487477

quote:

Thanks you guys, appreciate that. The What's New PDF that ships is v1.00.79 – July 20, 2009 and lists the old protocols. I'll hunt around here and find the new one. (and check to see if it's downloaded with an update or something). Thanks again.

Yeah - you need to do the 1106i Comprehensive patch first and then go get the beta ...

http://www.matrixgames.com/products/351/downloads/

http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=2986235

http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=2859420

< Message edited by n01487477 -- 12/29/2011 10:30:08 AM >

-Damian-
EconDoc
TrackerAE
Tutes&Java

Post #: 9
RE: Hangs during start up ... - 12/29/2011 10:47:00 AM   
cochisewolf

quote:

yeah not really a genius - just parroting others

Hey, you got me up and running ... I'll stick to 'genius' for now heh heh

- Leonard Cohen

(in reply to n01487477)
Post #: 10
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Tech Support >> Hangs during start up ... Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI